||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Alternative names||Utica riggies|
|Place of origin||New York State|
|Main ingredients||chicken, peppers, rigatoni, tomato sauce|
|Cookbook: Chicken riggies Media: Chicken riggies|
Chicken riggies or Utica riggies is an Italian-American pasta dish native to the Utica-Rome area of New York State. It is a pasta-based dish usually consisting of chicken, rigatoni and hot or sweet peppers in a spicy cream and tomato sauce, although many variations exist.
The origins of the dish have been disputed and lost in time. Many of the chefs from the Utica area seem to have a claim to the dish, yet there seems to be no clear idea who was the originator.
The first annual Riggiefest was held in Utica, NY, in 2005 at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. It is a contest which determines what restaurant makes the best riggies in the area. The best riggies will win its creator the prestigious "Riggie Cup". All money made during the fest is donated directly to the YWCA. In 2008, the festival made over $300,000.
Recent Riggie Cup winners include:
- Teddy's Restaurant in Rome, NY (2010)
- Secret Garden Restaurant in Utica, NY (2009)
- Route 69 Steakhouse and Saloon in Whitesboro, NY (2008)
- Teddy's Restaurant in Rome, NY (2007)
- Teddy's Restaurant in Rome, NY (2006)
- Teddy's Restaurant in Rome, NY (2005)
Teddy's was inducted into the Chicken Riggies Hall of Fame in 2008 after winning the competition three years in a row. That year Teddy's stepped aside to allow other restaurants a chance at the title. Teddy's winning recipe was published in Mohawk Valley Living.
- Kahler, Colleen Passalacqua (22 April 2009). "Controversy surrounds chicken riggies' origin". Utica Daily News. Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- Donovan, Andrew (25 April 2009). "Secret Garden Restaurant wins 2009 RiggieFest Cup". WKTC.Com. Archived from the original on April 27, 2009. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- Dancy, David (1 May 2008). "Route 69 Steakhouse takes the Riggie Cup". Life&Times of Utica. Archived from the original on March 23, 2010. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- Sinha, Chinki (31 Mar 2008). "Riggiefest 'highlights region's diversity'". Observer-Dispatch. Retrieved 18 December 2009.[dead link]
- http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=esJUK3PDJpH&b=2898533[dead link]
- "Featuring Recipes & Tips from Local Restaurants". Mohawk Valley Living. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- Dellecese, Dave (24 September 2007). "Locals react as Rachael Ray teaches nation how to cook chicken riggies". WKTV. Retrieved 21 February 2013.