Chicks 'n Chained Males
Cover of first edition.
|Author||Edited by Esther M. Friesner, Martin H. Greenberg|
|Cover artist||Larry Elmore|
|Series||Chicks in Chainmail|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
|Preceded by||Did You Say Chicks?!|
|Followed by||The Chick is in the Mail|
Chicks 'n Chained Males is an anthology of fantasy stories, edited by Esther M. Friesner with the assistance of Martin H. Greenberg, with a cover by Larry Elmore. It consists of works featuring female protagonists by (mostly) female authors. It was first published in paperback by Baen Books in May 1999. It was the third of a number of similarly themed anthologies edited by Friesner.
The book collects eighteen short stories by various fantasy authors, with an introduction by Friesner.
As per the volume's title, most of the stories involve heroic women having to rescue men from captivity, reversing the damsel in distress trope.
- "Introduction" (Esther M. Friesner)
- "Myth Manners' Guide to Greek Missology #1: Andromeda and Perseus" (Harry Turtledove)
- "Chain, Link, Fence" (Steven Piziks)
- "Fool's Gold" (Elizabeth Moon)
- "In for a Pound" (Lawrence Watt-Evans)
- "Death Becomes Him" (Marina Frants) - sequel to "A Bone to Pick" from the previous volume
- "Straight Arrow" (Susan Shwartz)
- "Bad Heir Day" (Rosemary Edghill)
- "Why Do You Think They Call It Middle Earth?" (Susan Casper)
- "Leg Irons, the Bitch, and the Wardrobe" (Laura Frankos)
- "Shiftless" (Josepha Sherman)
- "May/December at the Mall" (Brian D. Akers)
- "Yo, Baby!" (Jan Stirling)
- "Don't Break the Chain!" (Jody Lynn Nye)
- "Cross CHILDREN Walk" (Esther M. Friesner)
- "...But Comedy is Hard" (Kate Daniel)
- "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" (Kevin Andrew Murphy)
- "Hallah Iron-Thighs and the Five Unseemly Sorrows" (K. D. Wentworth)
- "Miss Underwood and the Mermaid" (Sarah Zettel)
|This article about a fantasy short story is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|