Chico & Roberta
Chico & Roberta
|Also known as||Chico and Roberta, Chico et Roberta|
|Members||Washington "Chico" Oliveira|
February 20, 1979 , Eunápolis
Roberta de Brito
April 27, 1979 , Brasília
The duo first appeared in the videoclip "Lambada" by the French-Brazilian group Kaoma in 1989. Both Kaoma and Chico & Roberta had the same producer, Jean-Claude Bonaventure, and the duo's songs were composed by Kaoma's lead singer Loalwa Braz, with contributions by Daniel Darras, Alan Pype, Bonaventure, M. Nogueira, and Roberta and Chico themselves.
At the end of 1990, Chico & Roberta had their first success with the album Frente a Frente (Face to Face), which was certified gold by the French certification group SNEP and contained their first two singles, "Frente a Frente" and "Esperança do Natal" (a Christmas song). These singles were listed at the top of the French SNEP singles charts for several weeks, and sold approximately 322,000 and 228,000 copies, respectively.
Chico & Roberta recorded their songs in Portuguese, and they performed on television programs in various countries, including Brazil, France, the UAR and Italy.
After their initial success, however, the children's musical career suddenly stopped. Chico became a priest of a Protestant church and currently lives in Espírito Santo with his wife and daughter, working in a mission in Vila Velha.
Roberta is an actress and assistant director, known for Isi/Disi - Amor a lo bestia (2004).
- "La lombriz de Júpiter: Ay no, la Lambada..." March 24, 2008.
- "Rotten Tomatoes". Kaoma-World Beat forum. Archived from the original on 2007-03-19.
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, p. 197 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- Chico and Roberta's certifications Chartsinfrance.net (Retrieved February 10, 2008)
- "SNEP charts". Lescharts.com. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Infodisc". Archived from the original on 2012-03-07. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, p. 204 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- Isi/Disi - Amor a lo bestia (2004) - IMDb, retrieved 2021-09-22