Chief digital officer
A Chief Digital Officer (CDO) or a Chief Digital Information Officer (CDIO) is an individual who helps a company, a government organization or a city drive growth by converting traditional "analog" businesses to digital ones using the potential of modern online technologies and data, and at times oversees operations in the rapidly changing digital sectors like mobile applications, social media and related applications, virtual goods, as well as "wild" web-based information management and marketing.
The responsibilities of an organization's CDO are varied and still evolving as the future of a CIO for digital businesses. The CDO is not only a digital expert, but may also be a seasoned general manager. As the role frequently is transformational, CDOs generally are responsible for the adoption of digital technologies across a business. As with most senior executive titles, the responsibilities are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's legal structure. The CDO is responsible not just for digital consumer experiences across all business touch points, but also for the whole process of digital transformation.
The CDO's responsibilities are to devise and execute social strategies that grow brand loyalty and advocacy on social networks by:
- Determining who and where the influencers are
- Empowering the influencers with tools to drive the message and brand across the community
- Listening to the community, engaging in bi-directional dialogue with customers
More and more, CDOs are being given seats on their company's board of directors and are often just a seat or two away from being the CEO. The UK is leading the adoption of board roles : for example Mayank Prakash
- "'Chief Digital Officer' is the next hot executive title, says Gartner". Betanews.com. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "What Does A CDO Do Anyway?". Mediabistro.com. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "The Chief Digital Officer Handbook". Buckingham. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- "Why CIOs May Morph Into the Chief Digital Officer". blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Digital: transforms modern businesses and delivers a global 360 degree vision". Betanews.com.
- "Digital Transformation".
- "The Emerging Chief Digital Officer". OlivierNaimi.com. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "Gartner: Do you have a Chief Digital Officer? You're gonna need one". Networkworld.com. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "New jobs as Chief Digital Officers emerging". getinfrontcommunications.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.