Chief Economic Advisor to the Government of India
|Chief Economic Advisor of Government of India|
Emblem of India
|Residence||North Block, Secretariat Building, New Delhi|
|Appointer||Appointments Committee of the Cabinet|
The CEA is the ex-officio cadre controlling authority of the Indian Economic Service.The CEA is head of Economic Division of the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
Until 2009, the CEA’s position was a Union Public Service Commission appointment and until the 1970s almost all CEAs were members of the Indian Economic Service.
Role of the CEA
The extent to which the Government takes into account the advice of the Chief Economic Adviser has generally been considered to be open-ended.
In his 2018 book titled Of Counsel: The Challenges of the Modi-Jaitley Economy, former CEA Arvind Subramanian stated that the job of the CEA carried no executive responsibility. According to him, the only clearly defined job of the CEA was to produce the Economic Survey of India preceding the Union Budget.
List of CEAs
Below is a list of Chief Economic Advisers that have been appointed by the Government of India since Independence in 1947.
|No||Name||Portrait||Term of office||Prime Minister|
|1||JJ Anjaria||1956||1961||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|2||IG Patel||1961||1963||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|IG Patel||1965||1967||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|3||VK Ramaswamy||1967||1969||Indira Gandhi|
|4||Ashok Mitra||1970||1972||Indira Gandhi|
|5||Manmohan Singh||1972||1976||Indira Gandhi|
|6||RM Honavar||1977||1980||Indira Gandhi|
|11||Rakesh Mohan||2001||2002||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|12||Ashok K Lahiri||2002||2007|
|13||Arvind Virmani||2007||2009||Manmohan Singh|
|14||Kaushik Basu||2009||2012||Manmohan Singh|
|15||Raghuram Rajan||10 August 2012||4 September 2013||Manmohan Singh|
|16||Arvind Subramanian||16 October 2014||20 June 2018||Narendra Modi|
|17||Krishnamurthy Subramanian||7 December 2018||Incumbent||Narendra Modi|
- Rajaraman, Indira (2019-04-04). "Opinion | When it makes sense to consult India's chief economic adviser". Livemint. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Diesel price decontrol is 'best', says Raghuram Rajan". The Hindu Businessline. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Raghuram Rajan appointed next RBI Governor". The Hindu. PTI. 2013-08-06. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2019-07-30.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Mishra, Asit Ranjan (2014-10-16). "Arvind Subramanian is India's new chief economic adviser". Livemint. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian resigns due to personal reasons, will move to US". The Economic Times. 2018-06-20. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "ISB professor Krishnamurthy Subramanian appointed as new Chief Economic Adviser". The Indian Express. 2018-12-07. Retrieved 2018-12-07.