Chief Justice of Gibraltar
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Gibraltar is one of the four judges who make up the supreme court of Gibraltar. Previously the Chief Justice was appointed by the Governor of Gibraltar on the advice of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Under the 2006 Constitution the Governor, on the advice of the Judicial Service Commission, makes the appointment on behalf of the Monarch.
As a judge of the Supreme Court, the Chief Justice is responsible for hearing civil and criminal proceedings, including Family Jurisdiction, Court of Protection, Admiralty Jurisdiction and Ordinary (Chancery) Jurisdiction, as well as appeals from the Magistrates' Court.
Notable Chief Justices include Sir James Cochrane who held the post for over thirty years during the nineteenth century. Notable cases include the resolution of the strange case of the Mary Celeste, a ship found abandoned at sea.
On 17 September 2007 the Governor announced the suspension of The Hon. Chief Justice Derek Schofield on full pay pending the investigation and resolution of the ongoing conflict between him, Chief Minister Peter Caruana and leading members of the Gibraltar Bar Association stemming from the judicial reforms introduced through Gibraltar's new constitution and the Judicial Services Act. During Schofield's suspension, Additional Judge Anthony Dudley was acting Chief Justice.
On 1 February 2010, The Convent announced that acting on the advice of the Judicial Services Commission, Governor Sir Adrian Johns had on behalf of Queen Elizabeth, formally appointed Anthony Dudley as Chief Justice of Gibraltar. He is the first Gibraltarian judge to be appointed Chief Justice of Gibraltar.
List of Chief Justices
|Took office||Left office|
|W. Foye ||1817||Judge of Court of Civil Pleas|
|Thomas Jones Howell ||1822||Judge Advocate|
|Barron Field ||1829||1841|
|Sir James Cochrane ||1841||1877|
|William Henry Doyle ||1877||1879|
|George Phillippo ||1879||1882|
|Henry James Burford Burford-Hancock ||1882||1895|
|Stephen Herbert Gatty ||1895||1905|
|Henry Rawlins Pipon Schooles ||1905||1913|
|Bartle Henry Temple Frere ||1914||1922|
|Sir Daniel Thomas Tudor||1922|
|Sir Sidney Charles King Farlow Nettleton ||1927||1931|
|Sir Kenneth James Beatty||1931||1940|
|Maurice Cherry Greene ||1941||1942|
|Sir Roger Bacon ||1946||1955|
|(Sir) Hubert James Marlowe Flaxman ||1955|
|(Sir) Edgar Unsworth||1965||>1974|
|Sir John Farley Spry ||1976||1980|
|Sir Dermot Renn Davis ||1980||1986|
|Alister Arthur Kneller ||1986||1995|
|Derek Schofield||1996||2009||Suspended from duty during 2007–09. Replaced by Anthony Dudley as Acting Chief Justice.|
|Anthony Dudley ||2010|
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: "Cochrane, James". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- Begg, ~Paul. Mary Celeste: The Greatest Mystery of the Sea. ISBN 1317865308. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Governor Suspends Schofield from Chief Justice Functions Archived November 1, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Gibraltar Chronicle - First Gibraltarian Chief Justice Appointed Archived February 27, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Parliamentary Papers, House of Commons and Command, Volume 31
- Alumni Cantabrigienses: A Biographical List of All Known Students ..., Volume 2
- "Field, Barron (1786–1846)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Cochrane, James (DNB00)". Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 11. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Hutchinson, John. A Catalogue of Notable Middle Templars: With Brief Biographical Notices. p. 78.
- "Men-at-the-Bar". Mocavo. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Edinburgh Gazette" (PDF). www.thegazette.co.uk. 1895.
- "Dod's peerage, baronetage and knightage of Great Britain and Ireland for ..., including all the titled classes". Mocavo. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "THE LONDON GAZETTE, JULY 14, 1905" (PDF). London Gazette. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Venn, John. Alumni Cantabrigienses: A Biographical List of All Known Students, Graduates. p. 578.
- "THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, DECEMBER 21, 1926" (PDF). Edinburgh Gazette. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "The Straits Times, 7 March 1941, Page 9". NewspaperSG. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- https://books.google.com/books?id=De8KAQAAMAAJ The Law Journal - Volume 112 - p.142
- https://books.google.com/books?id=UfwwAQAAIAAJ The Law Times - Volume 221 - p.14
- "Sir John Spry collection". Janus. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Bresnihan, Brian. Tufala Gavman: Reminiscences from the Anglo-French Condominium of the New. p. 299.
- "Sir Alister Arthur Kneller, Kt (1927-2005)". Google groups. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "First Gibraltarian Chief Justice appointed". Gibraltar Lawyers. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
|This article relating to the law of Europe or of a European country is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Gibraltar-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|