Chief Justice of Pakistan
|Chief Justice of Pakistan|
My Lord<(When addressed directly in court)
|Nominator||Prime Minister of Pakistan|
|Appointer||President of Pakistan|
|Term length||Variable Until age 65|
|Formation||27 June 1949|
|First holder||Abdul Rashid
(as Federal Chief Justice)
The Chief Justice of Pakistan (Urdu:چيف جسٹس پاكستان; initials as CJP), is the head of the court system of Pakistan (the judicature branch of government) and the chief judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. The Chief Justice is one of the most senior of 16 Senior Justices of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. From 1947 until 1960, the chief justice and senior justices were known as Federal Judge.
The Chief Justice is the chief administrative officer of country's court system and a highest judicial officer, supervising federal judicial policies and conducting judicial business in the Supreme Court. Nominations for the appointment of Chief Justice is made by Prime Minister of Pakistan and final appointments are confirmed by the President of Pakistan. Presiding over the oral arguments before the court, the Chief Justice leads significant agenda-setting power over the court's meeting. In modern tradition, the Chief Justice has the ceremonial duty of administering the oath of office of the President of Pakistan.
List of Chief Justices
|Number||Name||Period of office||Length of term (days)||Bar||Appointed by|
|1||Abdul Rashid||27 June 1949||29 June 1954‡||1,826||Lahore High Court||Government of India Act 1935|
|2||Muhammad Munir||29 June 1954||2 May 1960||2,134||Lahore High Court||Malik Ghulam Muhammad|
|3||Muhammad Shahabuddin†||3 May 1960||12 May 1960||9||Madras High Court||Ayub Khan|
|4||A.R. Cornelius||13 May 1960||29 February 1968||2,848||Lahore High Court|
|5||S.A. Rahman||1 March 1968||3 June 1968||94||Lahore High Court|
|6||Fazal Akbar||4 June 1968||17 November 1968||166||East Pakistan High Court|
|7||Hamoodur Rahman†||18 November 1968||31 October 1975||2,538||Calcutta High Court|
|8||Yaqub Ali||1 November 1975||22 September 1977||691||Lahore High Court||Fazal Ilahi Chaudhry|
|9||S. Anwarul Haq||23 September 1977||25 March 1981||1,279||Lahore High Court|
|10||Mohammad Haleem||23 March 1981||31 December 1989||283||Sindh High Court||Zia-ul-Haq|
|11||Afzal Zullah||1 January 1990||18 April 1993||1,203||Lahore High Court||Ghulam Ishaq Khan|
|12||Nasim Hasan Shah||17 April 1993||14 April 1994||362||Lahore High Court|
|*Acting||Saad Saud Jan||15 April 1994||4 June 1994||50||Lahore High Court||Farooq Leghari|
|13||Sajjad Ali Shah||5 June 1994||2 December 1997||1,276||Sindh High Court|
|14||Ajmal Mian||27 December 1997||30 June 1999||550||Sindh High Court||Wasim Sajjad|
|15||Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui||1 July 1999||26 January 2000||209||Sindh High Court||Rafiq Tarar|
|16||Irshad Hasan Khan||26 January 2000||6 January 2002||711||Lahore High Court|
|17||Bashir Jehangiri||7 January 2002||31 January 2002||24||Peshawar High Court||Pervez Musharraf|
|18||Sheikh Riaz Ahmad||1 February 2002||31 December 2003||698||Lahore High Court|
|19||Nazim Hussain Siddiqui||31 December 2003||29 June 2005||546||Lahore High Court|
|20||Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry (1st)||29 June 2005||9 March 2007||618||Balochistan High Court|
|*Acting||Javaid Iqbal||9 March 2007||24 March 2007||15||Balochistan High Court|
|*Acting||Rana Bhagwandas||25 March 2007||20 July 2007||87||Sindh High Court|
|20||Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry (2nd)||20 July 2007||3 November 2007||136||Balochistan High Court|
|±||A. H. Dogar||3 November 2007||21 March 2009||504||Sindh High Court|
|20||Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry (3rd)||21 March 2009||11 December 2013||1,726||Balochistan High Court||Asif Ali Zardari|
|21||Tassaduq Hussain Jillani||12 December 2013||6 July 2014||176||Lahore High Court||Mamnoon Hussain|
|22||Nasir-ul-Mulk||7 July 2014||17 August 2015||436||Peshawar High Court|
|23||Jawwad S. Khawaja||18 August 2015||9 September 2015||22||Lahore High Court|
- ± Recess appointment, later rejected by the Supreme Judicial Council. All decisions voided due to illegality of appointment.
- † Died in office
- Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Pakistan Bar Council
- Punjab Bar Council
- Supreme Court Bar Association of Pakistan
Notes and sources
- et.al., various contributions (2012). Pakistan Business Law Handbook Strategic Information and Laws. Intl Business Pubns USA. ISBN 1438770715. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Manzoor, Saima; Manzoor,, Akif; Manzoor, Eng. Asif (2011). Police in Pakistan. New York, US: Lulu publications co. p. 350. ISBN 110599032X. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Shah, Ralph Braibanti ; foreword by Nasim Hasan (1999). Chief Justice Cornelius of Pakistan : an analysis with letters and speeches (2. impr. ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195790184.
- Article 176 in The Judicature Chapter 2 of Part VII of the Constitution of Pakistan
- Article 175A in Chapter 1: The Courts. Part VII: The Judicature of the Constitution of Pakistan
- Article 175A(12)-175A(13) Chapter 1: The Courts. Part VII: The Judicature of the Constitution of Pakistan
- Supreme Court. "Judges Appointment & Court Composition" (google cache (html)). http://www.supremecourt.gov.pk/. Islamabad, Pakistan: Supreme Court of Pakistan Press. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Article 178 in the Chapter 2: The Supreme Court of Pakistan of Part VII: The Judicature of Constitution of Pakistan
- Masood, Ahsan. "Names of the Chief Justices of the Supreme Court of Pakistan". http://masoodandmasood.com/. Masood and masood press. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk takes oath as new chief justice of Pakistan". Dawn. The Herald. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 17 August 2015.