List of Chief Ministers of Uttarakhand
|Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
उत्तराखण्ड के मुख्यमन्त्री
|Appointer||Governor of Uttarakhand|
|Inaugural holder||Nityanand Swami|
|Formation||9 November 2000|
|Website||Chief Minister of Uttarakhand|
The Chief Minister of the State of Uttarakhand, is the head of the Government of Uttarakhand. As per the Constitution of India, the Governor of Uttarakhand is the state's de jure head, but de facto executive authority rests with the chief minister. Following elections to the Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly, the governor usually invites the party (or coalition) with a majority of seats to form the government. The governor appoints the chief minister, whose council of ministers are collectively responsible to the assembly. Given that he has the confidence of the assembly, the chief minister's term is for five years and is subject to no term limits.
Uttarakhand was created on November 9, 2000, when it was carved out from the hilly districts of Uttar Pradesh. Seven people have served as the state's chief minister, across four assembly terms. Four belong to the Bharatiya Janata Party, including the inaugural office holder Nityanand Swami. The remaining three belong to the Indian National Congress, including current incumbent Harish Rawat, who has served since 1 February 2014.
List of the Chief Ministers of Uttarakhand
Following is the list of the Chief Ministers of Uttarakhand since its inception on 9 November 2000:
|Colour key for parties|
Garhwal Division (Legislative Council)
|9 November 2000||29 October 2001||Bharatiya Janata Party||11 months and 20 days||Not yet created|
|2||B. S. Koshyari
Kumaon Division (Legislative Council)
|30 October 2001||1 March 2002||3 months and 29 days|
|3||N. D. Tiwari
|2 March 2002||7 March 2007||Indian National Congress||5 years and 5 days||First Assembly (2002–07)
|4||B. C. Khanduri
|8 March 2007||23 June 2009||Bharatiya Janata Party||2 years, 3 months and 15 days||Second Assembly (2007–12)
|24 June 2009||10 September 2011||2 years, 2 months and 17 days|
|(4)||B. C. Khanduri
|11 September 2011||13 March 2012||6 months and 2 days
(Total 2 years, 9 months and 17 days)
|14 March 2012||31 January 2014||Indian National Congress||1 year, 10 months and 17 days||Third Assembly (2012–17)
|1 February 2014||Incumbent||2 years and 13 days|
- Government of Uttarakhand
- Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly
- Governor of Uttarakhand
- Cabinet Ministers of Uttarakhand
Notes and References
- This column only names the chief minister's party. The state government he heads may be a complex coalition of several parties and independents; these are not listed here.
- Durga Das Basu. Introduction to the Constitution of India. 1960. 20th Edition, 2011 Reprint. pp. 241, 245. LexisNexis Butterworths Wadhwa Nagpur. ISBN 978-81-8038-559-9. Note: although the text talks about Indian state governments in general, it applies for the specific case of Uttarakhand as well.
- Former Chief Ministers of Uttarakhand. Government of Uttarakhand. Retrieved on 21 August 2013.