A Chief Scout is the principal or head scout for an organization such as the military, colonial administration or expedition or a talent scout in performing, entertainment or creative arts, particularly sport. In sport, a Chief Scout can be the principal talent scout seeking new players or a tactical scout.  
A Chief Scout or Chief of Scouts was a person in charge of intelligence, reconnaissance, and scouting in the English Navy, armies or in expeditions, colonies or frontiers such as in the Americas and southern Africa. The title dates from at least the English Civil War..
- See: Frederick Russell Burnham, Chief Scout of the British South Africa Company and Chief of Scouts to field marshal Lord Roberts during the Boer War.
Some organisations in the Scout Movement adopted the title Chief Scout for the uniformed head of the organization.
- Chief Scout (The Scout Association)
- Chief Scout (Scouting Ireland)
- Chief Scout Executive for the administrative head of the Boy Scouts of America.
- List of Chief Scouts of the Polish Scouting Association
- Robert Baden-Powell, first Chief Scout of The Boy Scouts Association who was proclaimed "Chief Scout of the World".
- "Celtic talent scout John Park leaves his position at Parkhead 10 years after being head hunted by Bhoys". Daily Record. 14 October 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
Celtic's chief scout John Park is leaving Parkhead
- "Scandinavian Scouting Agency". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
Scandinavian scouting agency chief scout Øyvind Johansen together with Mohammed Abdellaoue... Scandinavian scouting agency chief scout Øyvind Johansen together with Patrick Vieira... Scandinavische scouting bureau, chief scout Øyvind Christoffer Johansen samen met Ruben Yttergård Jenssen.
- "Who is Eddie Heath? Ex-Chelsea chief scout allegedly involved in football child sex abuse scandal". The Sun. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
Eddie Heath ... worked as a football chief scout in the 1960s and 1970s and looked out for new young talent.
- "Leicester City bring in ex-Valencia sporting director and Liverpool chief scout Eduardo Macia as head of recruitment". The Sun. 12 September 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
Macia is a former chief scout at Liverpool and has worked before with Ranieri at Valencia
- Kempson, Russell (20 February 2013). "Real Football: Sampling the hectic life of a chief scout". EFL.com. English Football League. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Week 2 - How do Professional Clubs Scout?" (PDF). Retrieved 4 January 2017.
The Chief Scout (CS) is usually a full time employed member of the staff and is responsible for liaising with the clubs technical staff (Technical Director, Academy Director, Manager etc) and setting the scouting assignments for the clubs network of other scouts.
- "Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino 'very disappointed' by chief scout Paul Mitchell decision to leave club.". TalkSport. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Jones, Simon (7 August 2016). "Sunderland appoint Mick Doherty as new chief scout with David Moyes looking to bolster squad with four or five new signings". DailyMail.co.uk. Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Beesley, Chris (9 October 2016). "Chief scout Atkins quits Everton for Aston Villa". LiverpoolEcho.co.uk. Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Amako, Uche (3 October 2016). "Manchester United send chief scout to watch winger: Three Premier League clubs also keen". express.co.uk. Daily Express. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Daly, V (21 October 2016). "Celtic move closer to appointing new chief scout". msn.com. Retrieved 4 January 2017.