Chief Scout Executive
|Chief Scout Executive|
|Owner||Boy Scouts of America|
|Created||November 28, 1911|
The Chief Scout Executive is the top professional of the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America. In most similar non-profit organizations, this is equivalent to the position of CEO, national executive director or secretary general. 
The position is currently held by Roger Mosby, who is titled President and CEO, as he is not a professional Scouter. Mosby's position was announced on December 29, 2019 and succeeded Michael B. Surbaugh.
This position should not be confused with the position of Chief Scout. Many National Scout associations still use this position; however, it is always for a volunteer position, not a paid one. In the BSA, only three people (Ernest Thompson Seton, James E. West and Elbert K. Fretwell) have held the position of Chief Scout, which is separate and distinct from the position of CSE.
Edgar M. Robinson was the YMCA's first International Secretary for Boys' Work and had written an article in the national YMCA's magazine praising the Scouting program in use at many YMCA's in the country. He saw the need to help William D. Boyce with the organization of the BSA, met with Boyce on May 3, 1910, and agreed to help Boyce organize the BSA national leadership at its June meeting. He recommended John Alexander, another YMCA executive, be appointed the managing secretary, and Alexander served in that role from June until the end of the year, when the national executive board appointed James E. West to that position, effective January 1911. West took on the position initially for a sixth month period, settled into the role, and assumed the new position of Chief Scout Executive by agreement with the board in November 1911.
There have been 13 men who have served in the position of Chief Scout Executive during the long history of the BSA. All other professional Scouters and employees of the National Council BSA work under the direction of the Chief Scout Executive.
Over the history of the BSA, the sitting Chief Scout Executive has during some periods appointed a Deputy Chief Scout Executive and/or one or more Assistant Chief Scouts Executive. In most cases, these men reported directly to the CSE, but in some cases, an assistant CSE worked under the direction of the Deputy CSE. Although the Deputy CSE has normally been considered the "right hand" person to the Chief Scout Executive, there is not an automatic succession to the top position, which has been filled by appointment by a committee of the national executive board on each occasion that a new Chief Scout Executive was needed.
List of Chief Scout Executives
|Number||Name||Start||End||Eagle Scout||DESA||Silver Buffalo||OA DSA||Bronze Wolf|
|1||James E. West||1911||1943||1926||1940|
|2||Elbert K. Fretwell||1943||1948||1938|
|3||Arthur A. Schuck||1948||1960||1950||1942||1960|
|4||Joseph A. Brunton, Jr.||1960||1967||1918||1969||1973||1946||1967|
|5||Alden G. Barber||1967||1976||1933||1969||1975||1975|
|6||Harvey L. Price||1976||1979||1929||1977||1977|
|7||James L. Tarr||1979||1984||1935||1979||1979||1983|
|8||Ben H. Love||1985||1993||1986||1990|
|9||Jere B. Ratcliffe||1993||2000||1955||1991||1998||1997|
|13||Michael B. Surbaugh||2015||2019||1976||2017||2018|
|-||Roger Mosby (as President & CEO)||2019|
Deputy Chief Scout Executives
|1919||1943||George J. Fisher|
|1943||1944||Perry A. Lint|
|1945||1960||Pliny Hunnicut Powers|
|1980s?||?||M. Gene Cruse|
|1996||2000||C. Michael Hoover Jr.|
List of Assistant Chief Scouts Executive
|1931||1943||Arthur A. Schuck|
|1951||1952||James P. Fitch|
|1957||1962||Charles M. Heistand|
|1961||?||Robert L. Billington|
|1963||1968||Marsh M. Ammerman|
|1999||2006||David J. Ross II|
|2006||2007||Bob Mazzuca, was promoted to Chief Scout Executive|
|2006||2009||Wayne Brock, was promoted to Deputy Chief Scout Executive|
|2010||2013||Gary Butler, was promoted to Deputy Chief Scout Executive|
|2016||2017||Don McChesney (National Director of Field Service)|
|2017||2020||Mark Logemann (National Director of Support Services)|
|2017||present||Patrick Sterrett (National Director of Field Service)|
|2017||present||Al Lambert (National Director of Outdoor Adventures) |
- Sforza, Teri (August 7, 2009). "National Boy Scouts explain $1.6 million salary for top exec". OC Register. Archived from the original on May 5, 2017. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Position Definitions". BSA. Retrieved September 18, 2009.
- "Michael Surbaugh to Serve as Next Chief Scout Executive for the Boy Scouts of America". Archived from the original on November 19, 2015. Retrieved November 18, 2015.
- Brown, Edward M. (2009). "History and Evolution of Commissioner Insignia" (PDF). Longhorn Council. Boy Scouts of America.
- "Alden Barber biography". Mic-O-Say.
- "Ben Love biography". Mic-O-Say.
- "Jere Ratcliffe biography". Mic-O-Say.
- Derr, Aaron (January 28, 2020). "Getting to know Roger C. Mosby, the new President and CEO of the Boy Scouts of America". Retrieved January 29, 2020.
Holds title of President and CEO
- Tribune, Chicago. "CRUSE, M. GENE". chicagotribune.com.
- "Public Papers - George Bush Library and Museum". bush41library.tamu.edu.
- "News Briefs". scoutingmagazine.org.
- "Farewell to Gary Butler, BSA's Deputy Chief Scout Executive and Chief Operating Officer". Scouting Wire. December 9, 2015.
- "RECORD MILLION DOLLAR DAY FOR SCOUTING KICKS OFF NEW YEAR – District M, Northern Star Scouting BSA".
- "Regional Scout Executives of the Boy Scouts of America 1920-1968" (PDF).
- "Charles M. Heistand Obituary".
- "The Wonderful World of Scouting - Start of Construction at the New York World's Fair 1964-1965" (PDF). November 12, 1963.
- "National Board Meeting Minutes". September 7, 1968. Archived from the original on August 18, 2004.
- "White Stag Skill History".
- "Outstanding Alumni David Ross- Class of 1967". Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- "39 Arrowmen Honored with the Distinguished Service Award". Archived from the original on June 21, 2010. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- "Dave Ross OA Distinguished Service Award". oa-bsa.org. Archived from the original on November 5, 2006.
- "Dave Ross biography". Mic-O-Say.
- "NOAC Distinguished Service Award Announcement" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 5, 2008. Retrieved February 20, 2009.
- "Chief Scout Executive". Archived from the original on January 12, 2010. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- "Assistant Chief Scout Executive - Chief Financial Officer". Archived from the original on January 10, 2010. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- "Assistant Chief Scout Executive - Chief Operating Officer". Archived from the original on January 10, 2010. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- Sterrett, Patrick (September 19, 2017). "Asst. Chief Scout Executive". scoutingwire.org. Boy Scouts of America.
- Lambert, Al (September 19, 2017). "Asst. Chief Scout Executive". scoutingwire.org. Boy Scouts of America.
- Mosby, John (March 29, 2019). "Asst. Chief Scout Executive". www.scoutingwire.org. Boy Scouts of America.