Chief of the Army Staff (India)
|Chief of the Army Staff
Flag of the Chief of the Army Staff
|Appointer||The President of India|
|Term length||3 years or at the age of 62, whichever is earlier.|
|Precursor||Commander-in-Chief, Indian Army|
|Formation||1 April 1955|
|First holder||General Maharaj Shri Rajendrasinhji Jadeja|
|Deputy||Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen MMS Rai|
The Chief of the Army Staff is the commander and usually the highest-ranking officer of the Indian Army. The position is abbreviated as COAS in Indian Army cables and communication, and usually held by a four-star officer in the rank of General.
The current COAS is General Dalbir Singh, who took office on 31 July 2014 following retirement of General Bikram Singh. Lt Gen Praveen Bakshi, presently the GOC-in-C of Eastern Command, is tipped to succeed General Dalbir Singh when he retires on 31 December 2016.
Office of the Chief of the Army Staff
The office of the Chief of the Army Staff was created through The Commanders-In-Chief (Change in Designation) Act of the Indian Parliament in 1955. It replaced the erstwhile office of the Commander-in-Chief, Army. The office is based at South Block of the Central Secretariat at Raisina Hill, New Delhi.
Commander-in-Chief, Indian Army (1947–1955)
( *Seconded from the British Army )
|No.||Name||Rank||Photo||Appointment Date||Left Office||Unit of Commission||Decorations|
|1||Sir Robert McGregor Macdonald Lockhart*||General||15 August 1947||31 December 1947||Infantry - 51 Sikhs Frontier Force||KCB, CIE, MC|
|2||Sir Francis Robert Roy Bucher*||General||1 January 1948||15 January 1949||Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)||KBE, CB, MC|
|3||Kodandera Madappa Cariappa||General (later Field Marshal)||16 January 1949||14 January 1953||Infantry - Rajput Regiment||OBE|
|4||Maharaj Shri Rajendrasinhji Jadeja||General||14 January 1953||1 April 1955||Armoured Corps, 2nd Lancers||DSO|
Chief of the Army Staff (1955–present)
- Chief of the General Staff (India) - for those holding the preceding role before 1947
- Chief of Air Staff (India)
- Chief of the Naval Staff (India)
- Field marshal (India)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Army Chief.|
- "Lt Gen M M S Rai takes over as the new vice chief of Army staff". The Economic Times.
- "Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag takes over as new Army chief". Rediff.com. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Will be the Next Chief of Army Staff". PIB. 14 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Army plans succession at highest ranks". India Today. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "The Commanders-In-Chief (Change in Designation) Act, 1955". VakilNo1.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Chief of the Army Staff". Indian Army. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Gen K.S. Thimayya was commissioned and first attached to the 2nd Battalion, Highland Light Infantry with status "Unattached List Indian Army". Later he joined the 4th Battalion 19th Hyderabad Regiment, which became his parent battalion. The 19th Hyderabad Regiment later became the Kumaon Regiment after India gained independence.Khanduri, Chandra B.(2006)
- Entry on Gen P.N. Thapar at the Official Indian Army Website. Accessed 2 August 2010.
- "Government of India".
- "Bikram Singh assumes charge as new Army chief". The Times of India.