Chieti railway station
View of the passenger building.
|Location||Piazzale Guglielmo Marconi
66100 Chieti CH
Chieti, Chieti, Abruzzo
|Operated by||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana
|Distance||14.469 km (8.991 mi)
|Opened||1 March 1873|
The station is currently managed by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (RFI). However, the commercial area of the passenger building is managed by Centostazioni. Train services to and from the station are operated by Trenitalia. Each of these companies is a subsidiary of Ferrovie dello Stato (FS), Italy's state-owned rail company.
Chieti railway station is situated in Piazza Guglielmo Marconi in the Chieti Scalo district, about 4–5 km west of the city centre.
The passenger building consists of three sections, each with two levels. The entire passenger building is made of brick, and the upper level is painted white.
At ground floor level, all three sections have three arches. Upstairs, there are three single-light windows accompanied by a cornice. The walls of the central section extend somewhat higher than those of the two lateral sections.
Adjacent to the passenger building is a single-storey brick building, built at a later date than the main building. It houses the station bar.
The station yard consists of three passenger tracks: the first is the main track, and the other two are used for overtaking, or for trains terminating in Chieti. Each of these tracks has a platform, and the platforms are connected by an underpass. There are other tracks used for the storage of goods trains.
In 2010, thanks to a joint investment of RFI and Centostazioni amounting to €400,000, the station underwent a restructuring process involving the following: cleaning and finishing of the front of the passenger building, replacement of fixtures, compliance of the structures with legal standards, removal of architectural barriers and the resurfacing of the roof.
The station is served by the following service(s):
- Regional services (Treno regionale) Pescara- Chieti - Sulmona - Avezzano - Tivoli - Rome
- Regional services (Treno regionale) Teramo - Giulianova - Pescara - Chieti - Sulmona - Avezzano
|Preceding station||Trenitalia||Following station|
toward Roma Tiburtina
In front of the passenger building is a small parking lot and a sign indicating the telephone numbers for taxis.
As regards public transport, in the square in front of the passenger building is a bus stop for trolleybuses to the city centre.
- History of rail transport in Italy
- List of railway stations in Abruzzo
- Rail transport in Italy
- Railway stations in Italy
- Alessandro Tuzza; et al. "Prospetto cronologico dei tratti di ferrovia aperti all'esercizio dal 1839 al 31 dicembre 1926" [Chronological overview of the features of the railways opened between 1839 and 31 December 1926] (in Italian). Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Le Ferrovie investono 400mila euro per la stazione di Chieti" [The railways invest € 400 thousand in Chieti station] (in Italian). PrimaDaNoi.it. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- Abruzzo region train timetables