This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dr. Chih-Ming Ho (Chinese: 何志明（; Pinyin: Hé Zhìmíng) holds the Ben Rich-Lockheed Martin Chair Professor at UCLA's Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science. He was the Director of the Center for Cell Control (a NIH supported center), and the Director of the Institute for Cell Mimetic Space Exploration (a NASA supported Insititute). He served as the UCLA Associate Vice Chancellor for Research from 2001-2005. He received his B.S. from National Taiwan University and his Ph.D. from The Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Ho served as a faculty member at University of Southern California from 1975 to 1991 before moving to UCLA.
He has served on advisory panels to provide assistance to many countries and regions, China, France, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, on the development of micro/nano technologies. Dr. Ho also has served on editorship of professional journals and chaired numerous organizing committees of international conferences on high technology topics.
In 1997, Dr. Ho was inducted as a member of the US National Academy of Engineering, which is the highest honor bestowed to US engineers. In the next year, he was elected as an Academician of Academia Sinica, which honors scholars of Chinese origin with exceptional achievements in liberal arts and the sciences. Dr. Ho was elected Fellow of the American Physical Society as well as the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Dr. Ho holds ten honorary professorships at various universities in the world.
Research and Selected Publications
Dr. Ho is known for his work in micro/nano fluidics, bio-nano technologies and turbulence. He has published 260 papers and is ranked by ISI as one of the top 250 most cited researchers worldwide in the entire engineering category. He has delivered 18 named distinguished lectures and presented over 130 keynote talks at international conferences.
- Ho, C.M. and Nosseir, N.S.M., "Dynamics of an Impinging Jet: Part 1; The Feedback Mechanism", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 105, pp. 119–142, 1981.
- Ho, C.M. and Huang, L.S., "Subharmonics and Vortex Merging in Mixing Layers", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 119, pp. 443–473, 1982.
- Ho, C.M. and Huerre, P., "Perturbed Free Shear Layers," Annu. Rev. of Fluid Mech., Vol. 16, pp. 365–424, 1984.
- Didden, N. and Ho, C.M., "Unsteady Separation in a Boundary Layer Produced by an Impinging Jet", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 160, pp. 235–256, 1985.
- Ho, C.M. and Gutmark, E., "Vortex Induction and Mass Entrainment in a Small Aspect Ratio Elliptic Jet", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 179, pp. 383–405, 1987.
- Ho, C. M. and Tai Y.C., "Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems and Fluid Flows", Annu. Rev. of Fluid Mech., vol. 30, pp. 579–612, 1998.
- Gau, J.J., Lan, E. H., Dunn, B., Ho, C.M., "A MEMS-based Amperometric Detector for E. Coli Bacteria - Using Self-Assembled Monolayers", Journal of Biosensor and Bioelectronics, Volume 9, Number 12, pp. 745–755, 2001.
- Huang, J., Liu, M., Knight, L. D., Grody, W. W. Miller, J. F., and Ho, C. M., "An Electrochemical Detection Scheme for Identifications of Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism Using Hairpin-forming Probes", Nucleic Acids Research, Vol.30, No.12, e55, 2002.
- Tseng, F.G., Kim, C.J. and Ho, C.M., "A High Resolution High Frequency Monolithic Microinjector Ejecting Picoliter Droplets Free of Satellite Drops: Part I Concept, Design and Model, Part II, Fabrication, Implementation and Characterization", JMEMS, 11(5): 427-447, October 2002.
- Huang, T. J., Tseng, H.R., Sha, L., Lu, W., Brough, B., Flood, A.H., Yu, B.D., Celestre, P.C., Chang, J. P., Stoddart, J. F., and Ho, C.M., "Mechanical Shuttling of Linear Motor-Molecules in Condensed Phases on Solid Substrates", Nano Letters, 4(11):2065-2071, 2004.
- Huang, T. J., Liu, Y., Brough, B., Flood, A.H., Bonvallet, P., Tseng, H.R., Baller, M., Magonov, S., Stoddart, J.F. and Ho, C.M., "A Nanomechanical Device Based on Linear Molecular Motors", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 85, Issue 22, 5391-5393, 2004.
- Wang, T.H., Peng, Y., Zhang, C., Wong, P.K. and Ho, C.M., "Single-Molecule Tracing on a Fluidic Microchip for Quantitative Detection of Low-Abundance Nucleic Acids",Journal of the American Chemical Society 127, 5354-5359, 2005.
- Cubaud, T., Tatineni, M., Zhong, X., and Ho, C.M., "Bubble Dispenser in Microfluidic Devices", Physical Review E 72, 037302, 2005.
- Brough B., Northrop B., Schmidt J., Tseng, H., Houk K., Stoddart F., Ho, C. M., "Evaluation of Synthetic Linear Motor-Molecule Actuation Energetics", Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, vol. 103, pp. 8583–8588, 2006.
- Lee, Y.-K., Shih, C., Tabeling, P. and Ho, C.M., "Experimental study and nonlinear dynamic analysis of time-periodic micro chaotic mixers", J. Fluid Mech. Vol. 575, pp. 425–448, 2007.
- Wong, P.K, Yu, F., Shahangian A., Cheng, G., Sun, R. and Ho, C.M., "Closed-Loop Control of Cellular Functions Using Combinatory Drugs Guided by a Stochastic Search Algorithm", Proceeding of National Academy of Science, Vol. 105, no.13 pp. 5105–5110, 2008.
- Wei, F., Wang, J., Liao, W., Zimmermann, B.G., Wong, D.T. and Ho, C.M., "Electrochemical Detection of Low-Copy Number Salivary RNA based on Specific Signal Amplification with a Hairpin Probe", doi:10.1093/nar/gkn299, Nucleic Acids Research Vol. 36 No.11, P. e 65, 2008.
- Li, N. and Ho, C.M., "Aptamer-Based Optical Probes with Separated Molecular Recognition and Signal Transduction Modules", Journal of American Chemical Society, Vol. 130, pp. 2380–2381, 2008.
- Sun, C.P., Usui, T., Yu, F., Al-Shyoukh, I., Shamma, J., Sun, R., and Ho, C.M., "Integrative Systems Control Approach for Reactivating Kaposi’s Sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) with Combinatory Drugs", Integr. Biol., 1, 123-130, 2009.
- Wong, T.S., Huang, P.H. and Ho, C.M., "Wetting Behaviors of Individual Nanostructures", Langmuir, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 6599 – 6603, 2009
- Tsutsui, H., Valamehr, B., Hindoyan, A., Qiao, R., Ding, X., Guo, S., Witte, O.N., Liu, X., Ho, C.M., and Wu, H., "An Optimized Small Molecule Inhibitor Cocktail Supports Long- term Maintenance of Human Embryonic Stem Cells", Nature Communications, 2:167, 2011.
- Al-Shyoukh, I., Yu, F., Feng, J., Yan, K., Dubinett, S., Ho, C. M., Shamma, J.S. and Sun R., “Systematic quantitative characterization of cellular responses induced by multiple signals, BMC Systems Biology, Vol. 5, pp. 88, 2011
- Chen, T.H., Hsu, J. J., Zhao, X., Guo, C., Wong, M.N., Huang, Y., Li, Z. W., Garfinkel, A., Ho, C.M., Tintut, Y., and Demer, L.L., “Left-Right Symmetry Breaking in Tissue Morphogenesis via Cytoskeletal Mechanics”, Circulations Research, vol.110, pp. 551–559, 2012.
- Ding, X. T., Sanchez, D. J., Shahangian, A., Al-Shyoukh, I., Cheng, G., and Ho, C. M., “Cascade Search for HSV-1 Combinatorial Drugs with High Antiviral Efficacy and Low Toxicity”, International Journal of Nanomedicine, Vol. 7, 2281-2292, 2012.
The Los Angeles Times, November 23, 1994, p. D10
The New York Times, January 3, 1995, p. B5
The Wall Street Journal, November 25, 1994, p. B6
The Baltimore Sun, July 14, 1996, p. 18A
The Sunday Times, November 20, 1994, pp. 2–10
The Chronicle of Higher Education, November 7, 1997
Die Zeit, No. 10, February 28, 1997, p. 34