||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: unnecessary information (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• MP(Member of Parliament)||Prakash Hukkeri|
|Elevation||683 m (2,241 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Around 200–300 years ago, Chikodi was called as Chik-kodi (small village) where as the nearby Hirekudi (big village) was bigger than Chikodi. Overtime, Chikodi experienced growth due to its famous betel leaves and came to lie on a major road.
Chikodi is located at  It has an average elevation of 683 meters (2240 feet). The town has an area of 18.29 km2. and is situated amidst hills, temperature varies from a maximum of 35⁰ C to a minimum of 18⁰ C, maximum average rainfall annually is 826.64 mm..
As of 2011[update] India census, Chikodi had a population of 38,307. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 79% and female literacy of 66%.
Chikodi, mostly dependent on agriculture. Sugarcane occupies an important place in the economy of Chikodi which has three sugar factories, Dudhaganga Krishna Sugar Factory, Nanadi which is the nearest, Venkateshwara Power Project Ltd. Bedkihal, and Om Sugars Ltd. Jainapur among others. Tobacco farming is another major agricultural sector. Major production of tobacco comes from Galatga, Shiragaonwadi, Khadaklat villages. Nowadays trend of Sericulture is picking up.
Tourism and attractions
- Chandrakori Ganesh Temple, near bus stand on top of hill is very famous temple of lord Ganesha. There is one more temple known as Parati Nagalingeswara (Parati Nagappa) temple, located about 2.5 km away from the bus stand.
- Yadur - Shree Veerbhardra temple is situated in the holy Shri Kseshtra Yadur,on the banks of river Krishna is located about 20 km from Chikodi
- Karoshi - Shree Basavanna temple is situated in the holy place of Karoshi, is located about 7 km from Chikodi. It is having a famous Darga, also this indicates the communal harmony it has. This place is agriculturally sound.
- Shantigiri Jain Temple - It is about 10 km from Chikodi. This village can be considered as one of the highlighted centers of Jain history, Where the shri shantigiri Tirth is situated.
- Nagarmunoli is one village near Chikodi it is known for its Ayurveda Medicine.
- Chinchani - Having Allamprabhu Sidd Sansthan Math, Shri Basaveshwar temple (Gudadagind basavan) located near 5 km from Chikodi.
- Toranahalli- Famous for Bhagavan Hanuman temple is present in this village near 10 km from Chikodi.
- Shiragaon - Famous for Basaveshwara temple is there & it is near 11 km from Chikodi
Chikodi is considered as an education hub in Belagavi district for its educational institutions and facilities. Some of them are:
- CLE Society's M.K. Kavatagimath Kannada & English Medium Primary and High School
- GSES's English Medium Primary and High School
- CTE Society's R.D. Kannada & Marathi Medium Primary and High School
- CTE Society's R.M. Kannada & Marathi Medium Primary and High School for Girls
- CTE Society's English Medium School (CBSE)
- St. Francis of Assisi School (ICSE)
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Kuppanwadi, Chikodi taluka
- Chikodi also has Government primary schools for boys and girls in Kannada, Marathi and Urdu Medium
- CTE Society's R.D Composite PU college of Arts, Commerce & Science
- KLE's PU college of Arts,Commerce & Science
- KLE'S B.K College of Arts,Commerce & Science (BA,Bcom,Bsc & M.com)
- KLE Independent Pre-University Science College
- CTE Society's Smt. A A Patil College of Arts & Commerce (BA,B.com) for Women
- CTE Society's College of Physical Education (BP.Ed)
- CTE Society's R D Job Oriented Course (JOC) College
- CTE Society's R D College of Education (B.Ed, D.Ed)
- CLE'S college of Education (B.Ed, D.Ed)
- APTECH Computer Education Institute running since 1995.
- Chauson College of Education (B.Ed, D.Ed)
- Chikodi also has two Industrial Training Institute (ITI) Colleges
- Government First Grade College, Chikodi
- Adarsha PARA MEDICAL Institute
- J.R.D Bhate PARA MEDICAL Institute
- KLE's Colleges of BBA, BCA and BBM
- Smartkidz Play School - Play Group, Nursery, Smart Jr.(LKG), Smart Sr. (UKG), Chikodi
- KLE's Law College
- KLE's C.B Kore College of Polytechnic
- KLE's College of Engineering and Technology
- Bachpan Play School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Chikodi
- Government Tool Room & Training Centre (GTTC)..
There is also a proposal to start Govt. Medical College in Chikodi.
Majority of public transport in Chikodi connecting surrounding villages and towns is through city buses run by North West Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NWKRTC) from Chikodi bus depot. Auto rickshaws are commonly available for commuting inside the city.
Chikodi is well connected by road by major State Highways which connect to National Highway 4. The State Highways passing through Chikodi are: SH 18 (Mudhol to Nipani), SH 12 (Vijayapur to Sankeshwar) and SH 78 (Ichalakaranji to Hattargi). The State Highway 12 has been declared as the National Highway which goes from Sankeshwar to Vijayapur via Gotur-Chikodi-Kagawad-Athani-Tikota. NWKRTC runs buses from Chikodi to all corners of Karnataka as well as neighboring states. There are many prominent private bus services like VRL Travels, SRS Travels, Manish Travels and Sea Bird Travels which operates daily night from Chikodi to Bangalore. Ganesh Travels which operates daily night from Chikodi to Kundapur, Udupi and Mangalore.
The closest railway station is located at Chikodi Road Station at a distance of about 20 km (near Kabbur). This station falls under South Western Railway Zone (Hubli). Hubli Junction (UBL) and Miraj Junction (MRJ) which are well connected to major cities like Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Goa, New Delhi and Chennai.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Chikodi
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.