Child Welfare League of America
President and CEO
|Board of directors|
The Child Welfare League of America (CWLA) is the oldest child welfare organization in the United States. The organization's primary objective is to "Make Children a National Priority. The CWLA is the trusted authority for professionals who work with children and the only national organization with members from both public and private agencies, providing unique access and influence to all sectors of the children’s services field.
Founded in 1921 as a federation of approximately 70 service-providing organizations, the first director of the CWLA, C. C. Carstens, was a well established national child welfare leader and opponent of institutional care for children. Originally located in New York City, the CWLA moved to Washington, D.C. in 1985. In 2008 the organization introduced a bill in the U.S. Congress that would host the White House Conference on Children and Youth by 2010.
- Child Welfare (journal, 1948–present)
- Kline, Draza; Overstreet, Helen Mary (1972). Foster Care of Children: Nurture and Treatment. Studies of the Child Welfare League of America. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0231036019.
- Meezan, William; Katz, Sanford N; Russo, Eva Manoff (1978). Adoptions Without Agencies: a Study of Independent Adoptions. New York: Child Welfare League of America. ISBN 0878681744.
- Magura, Stephen (1986). Outcome Measures for Child Welfare Services: Theory and Applications. Washington, DC: Child Welfare League of America. ISBN 0878682244.
- Anderson, Gary R (1990). Courage to Care: Responding to the Crisis of Children with AIDS. Washington, DC: Child Welfare League of America. ISBN 0878684018.
- Penn, Audrey (1993). The Kissing Hand. Washington, DC: Child Welfare League of America. ISBN 0878685855.
- Hernandez, Arturo (1998). Peace in the Streets: Breaking the Cycle of Gang Violence. Washington, DC: Child Welfare League of America. ISBN 0878686924.
- Bloom, Martin; Gullotta, Thomas P (2001). Promoting Creativity Across the Life Span. Washington, DC: CWLA Press. ISBN 0878688110.
- Nunno, Michael A; Day, David M; Bullard, Lloyd (2008). For Our Own Safety: Examining the Safety of High-Risk Interventions for Children and Young People. Arlington, VA: Child Welfare League of America. ISBN 9781587600005.
- "History" Archived July 26, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., Child Welfare League of America. Retrieved 17 July 2008.
- "Child Welfare League of America to Present Champion For Children Award to Ruth Massinga." Archived June 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Casey Family Programs. Retrieved 17 July 2008.
- "Child Welfare League of America", The Adoption History Project at the University of Oregon. Retrieved 17 July 2008.
- "Child Welfare League of America (CWLA) Hails Introduction of Bill to Create White House Conference on Children and Youth." Reuters. Retrieved 17 July 2008.