Child in Time (album)
|Child in Time|
|Studio album by Ian Gillan Band|
|Recorded||Musicland Studios, Munich, December 1975 – January 1976, mixed at Mountain Studio, Montreux, February 1976|
|Label||Polydor / Oyster|
|Ian Gillan Band chronology|
Child in Time is the debut album by British jazz-rock fusion band Ian Gillan Band, released in 1976. The album took its title from the Deep Purple song "Child in Time", a version of which appears on side two of the LP. The album reached No. 36 on Swedish charts and No. 55 in UK.
This was Ian Gillan's first release after leaving Deep Purple, and also features his former Deep Purple colleague Roger Glover. Before Ian returned full-time to the rock music industry, he made one brief, but significant, live appearance on the performance of Roger Glover's "The Butterfly Ball", on 16 October 1975 at Royal Albert Hall, London. Ian sang "Sitting in a Dream". A film of the event was originally shown in UK cinemas in 1977. Later released on video, it was quickly deleted.
Although Ian Gillan Band went on to produce material more suited to their jazz-rock label, this first album has much more of a harder rhythm and blues style.
Although not credited with playing on the album, Dave Wintour (bass player), Andy Steele (drummer) and Bernie Holland (guitarist), are listed among the songs' composers. In fact, Gillan had been recording demo tapes with non-Deep Purple material as early as 1972, and some of the Child in Time material was taken from the period September 1972 to April 1974. Parts of these early sessions can be heard on the Ian Gillan CD "cherkazoo and other stories" released in 1992 and on the DVD bonus tracks from "Live at the Rainbow 1977".
The album was recorded at Musicland Studios, Munich between December 1975 and January 1976 and mixed at Mountain Studio, Montreux, in February 1976. One single was released from the album, "You Make Me Feel So Good"/"Shame" in the UK in July 1976, on the Oyster label.
The album was reissued on CD when Virgin Records reissued the entire Ian Gillan Band catalogue in 1989, but there was some doubt as to whether they had the rights to reissue this album, or what tape they used. A remastered CD of the album was released in May 2007 by Edsel with extensive sleeve notes written by Ian Gillan.
In comparison to the remastered CD version, the original LP on vinyl has a better sound; especially the drums have more dynamics. On the remastered version, compression was used to make the CD louder (see Loudness War).
- "Lay Me Down" (Ian Gillan, Ray Fenwick, Mark Nauseef, John Gustafson) – 2:55
- "You Make Me Feel So Good" (Gillan, Mike Moran, Dave Wintour, Bernie Holland, Andy Steele) – 3:41
- "Shame" (Gillan, Fenwick, Nauseef, Gustafson) – 2:47
- "My Baby Loves Me" (Gillan, Fenwick, Nauseef, Roger Glover) – 3:35
- "Down the Road" (Gillan, Fenwick, Nauseef, Gustafson, Glover) – 3:27
- "Child in Time" (Ritchie Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Jon Lord, Ian Paice) – 7:23
- "Let It Slide" (Gillan, Fenwick, Nauseef, Gustafson, Moran) – 11:41
- Ian Gillan Band
- Ian Gillan – vocals and harmonica
- Ray Fenwick – guitars, slide guitar and vocals
- John Gustafson – bass guitar and vocals
- Mark Nauseef – drums and percussion
- Mike Moran – keyboards (Fender Rhodes, Hohner Clavinet, Hammond organ, ARP 2600, piano, ARP string ensemble)
- Additional musicians
- Roger Glover – synthesizer (ARP 2600), kalimba and vocals