Children's Museum of Memphis
|Established||June 16, 1990|
|Location||2525 Central Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee|
CMOM’s mission is to create memorable learning experiences through the joy of play in hands-on exhibits and programs. The museum offers interactive and educational exhibits and programs for children and their families. The museum houses over 20 hands-on exhibits.
The museum is open seven days a week from 9 am to 5 pm. It is closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
The Children's Museum of Memphis is located in the former National Guard Armory that was built from 1941-1942. The Children’s Museum of Memphis Founders
- Polly Glotzbach
- Harriet McFadden
- Mars Widdicombe
- Harry J. Phillips, Sr.
- 1985 Children’s Museum Planning Group formed.
- 1987 The Children's Museum of Memphis incorporated as a private, non-profit educational corporation.
- 1988 The museum signed a lease with the City of Memphis for the National Guard Armory complex.
- 1990 After raising $3 million for construction, opened to the public on June 16.
- 1991 Celebrated first birthday in June with a first-year attendance of over 200,000 visitors.
- 1993 Celebrated third birthday with cumulative attendance of over 500,000 visitors.
- 1995 Celebrated fifth birthday with cumulative attendance of over 750,000 visitors.
- 1997 Celebrated seventh birthday with cumulative attendance of over one million visitors.
- 1999 Began a $6 million capital campaign to expand the museum by 16,000 square feet (1,500 m2) with four new exhibit galleries.
- 2001 Finished the $6 million capital campaign (raised $7.2 million) to expand the museum. Ground-breaking ceremony and construction began on March 23.
- 2002 Museum expansion completed and opened on August 3. Welcomed the museum’s 1,500,000th visitor.
- 2005 Welcomed the museum’s 2,000,000th visitor.
- 2008 Welcomed the museum’s 2,500,000th visitor.
- 2012 Museum's campus was named The Katherine and John Dobbs Family Center.for more info - http://www.cmom.com/?q=dobbscenter.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Children's Museum of Memphis.|