Chileans in the United Kingdom
7,130 (2011 Census)
|Regions with significant populations|
|London, Midlands, South East England, North West England|
|English (British English)
Spanish (Chilean Spanish)
(Roman Catholic, Protestantism, Evangelical)
|Related ethnic groups|
|Chilean people • Latin Americans in the United Kingdom • Spaniards in the United Kingdom • Hispanic • Latino • British Chilean|
When approximately 2,500 Chilean exiles (including businessmen, professors, and students) arrived in Great Britain[when?], they were met by a small community of Latin people who were already there. In the 1970s right-wingers fled the Allende administration, and later leftists fled the Pinochet regime. The Chilean community has settled well in the country, and the majority are of European ancestry. The size of the Chilean British population is hard to estimate as many have gone back to Chile, or move fluidly between several places.
According to the 2001 UK Census, 5,131 Chilean-born people were living in the UK, representing just over 8% of the UK's Latin American-born community.
- Alexis Sánchez, Footballer, Champion of Copa América 2015 and Champion of Copa América Centenario 2016
- Santiago Cabrera, Actor known for playing Isaac Mendez in the popular series Heroes
- Marcela Contreras DBE, Scientist
- E. L. James, Writer.
- Charlotte Lewis, Actress
- Olga Lehmann, 20th-century painter
- George Robledo Oliver, Footballer
- Ted Robledo Oliver, Footballer
- Alexander Witt, Hollywood filmmaker
- Andrés Wood, Film director
- Marcial Echenique, Dean of Architecture at Cambridge University
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Archived from the original on 2009-06-17. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- Composición Étnica de las Tres Áreas Culturales del Continente Americano al Comienzo del Siglo XXI (PDF).
- SOCIAL IDENTITY Marta Fierro Social Psychologist. Archived February 25, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- massive immigration of European Argentina Uruguay Chile Brazil
- Diversity news page Archived 2009-04-05 at the Wayback Machine.