Chileka International Airport
Chileka International Airport
|Owner||Government of Malawi|
|Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of Malawi|
|Elevation AMSL||2,555 ft / 779 m|
Chileka International Airport (IATA: BLZ, ICAO: FWCL) is an international airport in Malawi. It is located approximately 13 km (7 nmi; 8 mi), by road, northwest of Blantyre, the second largest city in the Republic of Malawi and the country's commercial and financial capital. Chileka is Malawi's second international airport, the other being Kamuzu International Airport, in Lilongwe, the nation's capital city.
In April 2019 scheduled renovations and extensions to the main runway were commenced, resulting in the temporary closure of runway 10/28. The renovations were initially scheduled to last for three months, with operations expected to resume in July 2019. However, several delays caused the project to take longer than anticipated, and the reopening date was pushed back at least three times.
The airport continued to be operational during this time, handling arrivals and departures of smaller aircraft on runway 15/33. During the closure, all arrivals and departures on medium range and larger aircraft operated from Kamuzu International Airport, with onward transfers to and from Chileka International Airport, on smaller aircraft.
Airlines and destinations
|Ethiopian Airlines||Addis Ababa|
|Malawi Airlines||Dar es Salaam, Johannesburg–O. R. Tambo, Lilongwe|
|South African Airways||Johannesburg–O. R. Tambo (suspended)|
- Airport information for FWCL Archived 6 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for BLZ at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Google (7 May 2020). "Distance Between Blantyre And Chileka International Airport" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Duncan Mlanjira (2 January 2020). "Chileka International Airport Now Operational For Big Aircrafts [sic]". Nyasa Times. Blantyre. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Google (7 May 2020). "Location of Chileka International Airport" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Business Air News (7 May 2020). "Elevation of Chileka International Airport". Business Air News. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- APTA News (13 May 2019). "Malawi's Blantyre Chileka Airport Runway Closed Through 23 July 2019". Association For The Promotion of Tourism To Africa (APTA). Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Malawi Tourism (30 April 2019). "Blantyre Chileka Airport Runway Maintenance". United Kingdom: Malawitourism.com. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Logistics Update Africa (3 January 2020). "Malawi's Chileka Airport Begins To Welcome Big Aircraft". New Bombay, India: Logupdateafrica.com. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Jim Liu (28 June 2019). "Ethiopian Airlines Resumes Blantyre; Adds Beira Service From Late July 2019". Manchester, United Kingdom: Routes Online. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- South African Airways (23 August 2019). "Update to SAA's Contingency Plan to Maintain Routes Between Johannesburg and Blantyre in Malawi". South African Airways. Retrieved 7 May 2020.