Genoa Township, Michigan
|Genoa Charter Township, Michigan|
Genoa Township Hall, Dorr Rd.
|• Total||36.4 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Land||34.3 sq mi (88.7 km2)|
|• Water||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,007 ft (307 m)|
|• Density||464.2/sq mi (179.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626345|
Genoa Township was organized in 1837.
- Chilson is an unincorporated community in the township at Chilson and Brighton roads. It was established in 1878 around a sawmill and a flour mill.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.3 square miles (94 km2), of which 34.2 square miles (89 km2) is land and 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) (5.78%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 15,901 people, 5,839 households, and 4,560 families residing in the township. The population density was 464.2 per square mile (179.3/km²). There were 6,346 housing units at an average density of 185.3 per square mile (71.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.30% White, 0.19% African American, 0.42% Native American, 0.71% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.22% from other races, and 1.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.00% of the population.
There were 5,839 households out of which 36.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.5% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.9% were non-families. 17.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 28.0% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 99.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $71,398, and the median income for a family was $79,988. Males had a median income of $59,229 versus $31,020 for females. The per capita income for the township was $32,601. About 2.4% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 2.9% of those age 65 or over.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Genoa Township, Michigan
- Walter Romign, Michigan Place Names, p. 220
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Chilson, Michigan
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 115
- "Welcome to Mattress World of Michigan." Mattress World of Michigan. October 9, 2010. Retrieved on November 7, 2013. "Corporate: 1212 Fendt Dr, Howell, MI 48843"
- "Official Zoning Map of Genoa Charter Township." (Archive) Genoa Charter Township, Michigan. As of September 2008. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- "Contact Us Archived 2013-11-09 at the Wayback Machine.." Cleary University. Retrieved on November 8, 2013. "Livingston Campus 3750 Cleary Drive Howell, MI 48843"