Chin National Front
|Chairman||Pu Zing Cung|
|General Secretary||Salai Thla Hei|
|Founded||20 March 1988|
|Military wing||Chin National Army|
|National affiliation||United Nationalities Federal Council|
|International affiliation||Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization|
|Colors||Red, White, Blue|
|Slogan||Self-determination, Federalism, and Democracy|
The Chin National Front (Burmese: ချင်းအမျိုးသားတပ်ဦး; CNF) is a Chin nationalist political organization in Myanmar (Burma). According to its website, its armed wing, the Chin National Army (CNA), has fought the government of Myanmar since its founding on 20 March 1988. This ethnic armed resistance organization is fighting to build a genuine Federal Union based on self-determination, ethnic equality, and democracy. The Chin people are one of the four founding members (Chin, Kachin, Shan, and Myanmar) of the Union of Burma.
The Chin National Front was founded by the Chin people on 20 March 1988. (Although several attempts for armed resistance was made before they were unsuccessful.) The CNF is dedicated to securing the self-determination of the Chin people and to establish a federal system in the Union of Burma based on ethnic equality and democracy. The Chin National Front believes in regaining the self-determination of the Chin people and establishing the liberties of freedom, justice, and equality.
Central Executive Committee Members
The Central Executive Committee members of the Sixth Party Conference (2016-2021) of the Chin National Front are as follow:
- Pu Zing Cung, Chairman
- Pu Nang Lian Thang, Vice Chairman One
- Dr. Salai Lian Hmung Sakhong, Vice Chairman Two
- Pu Thang Ning Kee, Vice Chairman Three
- Salai Thla Hei, General Secretary
- Dr. Sui Khar, Assistant General Secretary One
- Pu Khua Uk Lian, Assistant General Secretary Two
- Pu Thet Ni, Assistant General Secretary Three
- Col. Solomon, Secretary, Department of Defence and Security
- Pu Ram Kulh Cung, Secretary, Department of Economy
- Pu Bawi Lian Mang, Secretary, Department of Reconstruction and Development
- Pu Rokhawma, Secretary, Department of Finance and Revenue
- Pu Paul Sitha, Secretary, Department of Foreign and Alliance Affairs
- Pu Ral Hnin, Secretary, Department of Party Affairs
- Salai Biak Pum, Secretary, Department of Health, Education and Public Affairs
The CNF Ceasefire Agreements
The Chin National Front signed State level preliminary "Ceasefire Agreement" with the Chin State government on January 6, 2012, the first Union level "Ceasefire Agreement" with Union level peace negotiation team on May 7, 2012 and the second Union level "Ceasefire Agreement" with the Union Peacemaking Work Committee on December 9, 2012.
Platform and connections
The Chin National Front stated that they:
- are not based on a class of people, a religious belief, a region or an ideology but is working for implementation of the ideal of the Chin people. The Chin National Front welcomes and invites any nation, state, organization, and individuals to join in the effort to restore democracy, freedom and federalism in the Union of Burma.
- are a member of the National Democratic Front (NDF), composed of non-Burman nationalities, which was formed in 1976 with the aim to establish a federal union that suits the ideals of the nationalities and practices a democratic system based on equality and self-determination. The Chin National Front is one of the members and is actively involving in the implementation of the NDF's aims and objectives.
- are a member of the Democratic Alliance of Burma, which aims to restore democracy, freedom, and establish federal union. the Democratic Alliance of Burma was formed on November 14, 1988 by 18 democratic forces.
- are a member of the National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB). The NCUB is an alliance of the National Democratic Front, Democratic Alliance of Burma, National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma, and National League for Democracy (Liberated Area), was formed in 1992 with the aims to restore democracy, freedom, and establish genuine federal union. NUCB is a member of Council of Asian Liberals and Democrat.
- are a member of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO), which is a democratic, international membership organization. Its members are indigenous peoples, occupied nations, minorities and independent states or territories who have joined together to protect their human and cultural rights, preserve their environments, and to find non-violent solutions to conflicts which affect them. UNPO provides a legitimate and established international forum for member aspirations and assists its members in effective participation at an international level.
- became a signatory of the Geneva Call by signing Deed of Commitment on July 31, 2006. Geneva Call is an international humanitarian organization dedicated to engaging armed none-state actors in mine-ban action. It provides a mechanism, complementary to the Convention on the prohibition of the use, stockpiling, production and transfer of anti-personnel mines and on their destruction (the Ottawa Convention), which can only be signed by State actors.
- are the military wing of the Chin National Front. The Chin National Army strictly applies modified "Geneva Military Code of Conduct" and other international military norms and codes. The Chin National Army provides security for the Chin National Front to implement restoration of democracy, Chin self-determination, and establishment of federal union of Burma to end ethnopolitical conflict and constitutional crisis in the Union of Burma.