Chin Ning Chu
Ms. Chin-Ning Chu, speaker and bestselling author of worldwide bestsellers, “The Asian Mind Game,” “Thick Face, Black Heart,” and “The Art of War for Women” died of cancer on December 10, 2009 in Taiwan.
Ms. Chin-Ning Chu was born in mainland China, grew up in Taiwan, and emigrated to the United States in 1969.
Chin-Ning Chu is a descendant of Yuan-Zhang Chu, the pauper who became the first Emperor of the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644 AD) by defeating the Mongol rule of Genghis Khan. At the age of three, holding tight to her mother's skirt, she ran for her life across the Shanghai airport runway amid bombs bursting as her parents boarded the last commercial flight out of China. Her family, from a life of affluence, were reduced to refugees. At the age of twenty-two, clutching two suitcases, again she up-rooted herself and came to America. She brought two books, Sun Tzu - The Art of War and Li Zongwu - Thick Black Theory.
At the age of ten, her father began to teach her strategies by reading from the text of the ancient Chinese Art of War classics nightly. In high school, she became a novice at a Catholic convent. While a full-time student, she worked as a television soap opera actress and then as a marketeer for one Taiwanese and two European pharmaceutical companies.
Predictions as Asian Strategist
On May 26, 1989, in the heat of worldwide support for the Chinese students' efforts towards seeking democracy, Chin-Ning gave a speech which was recorded by The Colombian, a Vancouver, Washington newspaper, "The students in China must control their passion a little bit and go back to the strategy board because they cannot win as they are doing."
On May 29, 1989, in the midst of all the foreign companies frantically pulling out of China, Chin-Ning told The Seattle Times, "The political struggle in Beijing is no reason for Americans doing business in China to panic . . . business opportunities for Americans are likely to become more open." Chu described the present confrontation between students and government leaders as "just one little turn" in a long series of events in China. It is always in the state of becoming. There never are any final consequences . . ."
On June 14, 1994, Capitol Hill was concerned over the danger of North Korea invading South Korea and their development of nuclear weapons. Appearing on "Larry King Live," Chin-Ning predicted the correct outcome—in opposition to positions taken by General Scowcroft and Senator Kerry of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Speaker and trainer
Chin-Ning's client list reads like a global "Who's Who" that includes many of the Fortune 500 corporations, governments, universities, and worldwide organizations. She was sought throughout the world as a keynote speaker and corporate trainer.
In the press
She is already was a consultant to businesses wanting to deal with Asians, coaching Americans on how to handle negotiations. Considered an expert on the Asian psyche, she appeared at business seminars and on talk shows, including Larry King's program.
- The People Power Solution: Americans for Fair International Trade AMC Publishing, (June 1989) ISBN 0-929638-24-7, 192 pages
- The Asian Mind Game Scribner, (January 30, 1991) ISBN 0-89256-352-4, 288 pages
- "Thick Face Black Heart: Thriving, Winning and Succeeding in Life's Every Endeavor" Amc Pub, (July 1992), ISBN 0-929638-28-X, 380 pages
- Thick Face, Black Heart: The Warrior Philosophy for Conquering the Challenges of Business and Life Business Plus (October 1, 1994), ISBN 0-446-67020-0, 384 pages
- Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning and Succeeding Nicholas Brealey Publishing (April 30, 1995), ISBN 1-85788-125-7, 380 pages
- The Chinese Mind Game: The Best Kept Trade Secret of the East, ALLCOURT PUBLISHING (1998) ASIN B000PUVR16
- Thick Face, Black Heart: The Warrior Philosophy for Conquering the Challenges of Business and Life, Business Plus (October 1, 1994), ISBN 0-446-67020-0, 384 pages
- Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Powers of Giving In, Harper Paperbacks (October 17, 2000), ISBN 0-06-098875-4, 203 pages
- Working Woman's Art of War: Winning Without Confrontation, AMC Publishing (July 2001), ISBN 0-929638-29-8, 294 pages
- The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work, Broadway Business (April 10, 2007), ISBN 0-385-51840-4, 224 pages
In 1987 Ms. Chu represented the Governor of the state of Oregon - in establishing a cooperative development project with Fujian Province of People's Republic of China.
Ms. Chu ran businesses in Antioch, California. She was the president of the Strategic Learning Institute, president of Asian Marketing Consultants, Inc. and chairperson of NeuroScience Industries, Inc.
Chin-Ning's books have been used as textbooks at universities.
Chin-Ning's work was well regarded by global media, including USA Today, The Washington Post, SUCCESS Magazine, Asia Inc, The Asia Wall Street Journal, United Kingdom's Financial Times, China's People Daily, Australia's Financial Review and CNN. She was featured in cover stories by People Magazine, Vogue, Bazaar, Marie Claire, Elle, People's Daily of China to publications and television shows from Peru to Malaysia.
She was honored as "Woman of the Year" by the international organization, Women of the World.
Chu was named among the all-time Success Writers by Nicholas Brealey Publishing.
- 50 Success Classics - Tom Butler-Bowdon - ISBN 978-1857883336
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-11-28. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Business - Don't Get Sidetracked By Negative Thinking, Author's Philosophy Says - Seattle Times Newspaper". community.seattletimes.nwsource.com. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Oregon Secretary of State: Governor's Records Guide". sos.oregon.gov. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "8/15/01" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "lordly.com - This website is for sale! - Resources and Information". www.lordly.com. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "International Business : Supplement to Nebraska K-12 Business Education Framework (1998)" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- Butler-Bowdon, Tom (5 January 2004). "50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom For Work & Life From 50 Landmark Books". Nicholas Brealey Pub. Retrieved 25 September 2018 – via Google Books.