China–Dominican Republic relations
China–Dominican Republic relations or Sino-Dominican relations refer to the ties and relations between China and Dominican Republic. The relations between the Dominican Republic and China began in 1932. Following the Chinese Civil War in 1949, relations were maintained in Taiwan and the other islands. After breaking off relations with the Republic of China (Taiwan) on April 30, 2018, the Dominican Republic established diplomatic relations with the mainland government of the People's Republic of China.
Republic of China
In 1932, the Chinese envoy to Cuba visited the Dominican Republic, the two countries began to negotiate a friendly treaty. The two countries have formally signed a friendly treaty on May 11, 1940. On April 9, 1941, the two countries established diplomatic relations.
On July 13, 1943, the Nationalist Government of the Republic of China set up a foreign mission in Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic. the Chinese envoy to Cuba concurrently served as the Chinese envoy to Dominican Republic. By October 1946, the Dominican Republic set up a foreign mission in Nanking. Following the Chinese Civil War, the Nationalist Government was forced to relocate to Taiwan. On March 8, 1953, the foreign mission was relocated to Taipei.
People's Republic of China
On May 1, 2018, the People's Republic of China, now ruling the Mainland China since 1949 and the Dominican Republic established diplomatic relations, after the Dominican Republic cut diplomatic ties with the Republic of China (Taiwan). Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Dominican Foreign Minister Miguel Vargas Maldonado attended the signing ceremony in Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing.
- "Dominican Republic has signed an agreement establishing diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China". sputniknews.com. 1 May 2018.
- "Taiwan says China dangled $3 billion to grab ally Dominican Republic". reuters.com. 1 May 2018.
- "Dominican Republic Establishes Relations With China, Severs Ties With Taiwan". latestrealtimenews.com. 1 May 2018.
- "In blow to Taiwan, Dominican Republic forges ties with China". nationalpost.com. 1 May 2018.
- Mo Hong'e, ed. (1 May 2018). "China, Dominican Republic establish diplomatic relations". ECNS. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Zhou Jin (1 May 2018). "China, Dominican Republic establish diplomatic relations". Chinadaily.
- "Taiwans Diplomatic Isolation Increases as Dominican Republic Recognizes China". newsenter.org. 1 May 2018.