|Native name||中尼铁路/चीन-नेपाल रेलवे|
|Line length||72 km (45 mi) (Nepali section); 556 km (345 mi) (Gyirong–Shigatse section)|
|Operating speed||120 km/h (75 mph) (Gyirong–Shigatse)|
China–Nepal Railway (Chinese: 中尼铁路; Nepali: चीन-नेपाल रेलवे) is a planned railway between China and Nepal. The railway will link Kathmandu with Shigatse, Tibet, crossing the China–Nepal border at Gyirong–Rasuwa.
In 2006, Qinghai–Tibet Railway, the first railway in Tibet, was completed. The same year, then chairman of Tibet Autonomous Region Qiangba Puncog told current Prime Minister of Nepal Khadga Prasad Oli, then Deputy Prime Minister, that the railway would be extended to Shigatse and eventually to China–Nepal border.
In 2016, during Oli's visit to China, the two countries signed a treaty on trade and transit, including a plan to build a high speed railway from Kathmandu to the Chinese border. In June 2018, Nepal and China agreed on construction of the railway as a component of a series of cooperation projects approved by the two sides. A mutual agreement over the pre-feasibility study was reached in August 2018.
Within China, the railway, which will cross 556 km (345 mi) of Chinese territory before reaching the Nepali border, will mostly follow the route of China National Highway 318 after leaving Shigatse, passing through Lhatse, Sa'gya, Dinggyê, Tingri, and Nyalam. After reaching Nyalam, the railway will follow Highway 219 to Gyirong.
The Nepali section is 72 km (45 mi) long, and is considered one of the most challenging railway projects due to topographical issues of the Himalayas. 98.5% of the section will be bridges or tunnels. There will be four stations along the line, with the terminal at Sankhu in Kathmandu. A further extension to Pokhara and Lumbini is planned.
- Giri, A; Giri, S (24 August 2018). "Nepal, China agree on rail study". The Kathmandu Post. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Wang, Jun (13 March 2017). "西藏代表团建议：加快实施日喀则至吉隆口岸铁路建设". thepaper.cn. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "西藏有望实现铁路市市通". State Council Information Office of China. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Hu, Yongqi (22 June 2018). "Railway project to link Tibet, Nepal". China Daily. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Adhikari, Deepak (19 September 2018). "Nepal gets access to China ports, analysts say it's a 'huge deal'". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Pandey, Lekhanath (8 July 2018). "How a China-Nepal railway could fast-track change in the Himalayan nation and redraw relations with India". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "中尼跨境铁路预可行性研究评审会及中尼铁路技术交流在西安举行". National Railway Administration of China. 24 August 2018. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "The Tibet Train". Nepali Times. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Chinese rail to arrive in Nepal in five years, says minister". The Himalayan Times. 26 March 2018. Retrieved 22 September 2018.