The China–Cornell–Oxford Project was a large observational study conducted throughout the 1980s in rural China, jointly funded by Cornell University, the University of Oxford, and the government of China. In May 1990, The New York Times termed the study "the Grand Prix of epidemiology".
The first two major studies were led by T. Colin Campbell, professor of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell, who summarized the results in his book, The China Study (2004). Other lead researchers were Chen Junshi, Deputy Director of Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene at the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine in Beijing, Richard Peto of the University of Oxford, and Li Junyao of the China Cancer Institute.
The study examined the diets, lifestyle, and disease characteristics of 6,500 people in 65 rural Chinese counties, comparing the prevalence of disease characteristics, excluding causes of death such as accidents.
- Caerphilly Heart Disease Study
- China Health and Nutrition Survey
- Framingham Heart Study
- "China-Cornell-Oxford Project", Cornell University.
- "Geographic study of mortality, biochemistry, diet and lifestyle in rural China", Clinical Trial Service Unit & Epidemiological Studies Unit, University of Oxford, accessed February 3, 2011.
- Brody, Jane E. "Huge Study Of Diet Indicts Fat And Meat", The New York Times, May 8, 1990.
- "China-Cornell-Oxford Project", Cornell University, accessed March 31, 2012.
- Junshi, Chen; Campbell, T. Colin; Junyao, Li; Peto, R., eds. (1990). Diet, lifestyle, and mortality in China: a study of the characteristics of 65 Chinese counties. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-261843-6.
- "China-Cornell-Oxford Project", Cornell University, accessed February 3, 2011.
- "Forks Over Knives", a film which includes extensive discussion of the study (2011).
- "Switch to Western diet may bring Western-type diseases", Cornell Chronicle, June 28, 2001.
- Summary and details of the study, University of Oxford.
- Byers, Tim. "Book Reviews: Diet, lifestyle, and mortality in China: a study of the characteristics of 65 Chinese counties". American Journal of Epidemiology 135 (10): 1180–1.
- Campbell, TC; Parpia, B; Chen, J (1998). "Diet, lifestyle, and the etiology of coronary artery disease: The Cornell China study". The American journal of cardiology 82 (10B): 18T–21T. doi:10.1016/S0002-9149(98)00718-8. PMID 9860369.
- Wang, Yiqun; Crawford, Michael A.; Chen, Junshi; Li, Junyao; Ghebremeskel, Kebreab; Campbell, T.Colin; Fan, Wenxun; Parker, Robert; Leyton, Julius (2003). "Fish consumption, blood docosahexaenoic acid and chronic diseases in Chinese rural populations". Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A 136 (1): 127–40. doi:10.1016/S1095-6433(03)00016-3. PMID 14527635.