China Eastern Airlines Flight 583
B-2171, the aircraft involved in this accident, at Beijing Capital Airport in 1995
|Date||April 6, 1993|
|Summary||Pilot error, loss of control|
|Site||near the Aleutian Islands|
|Aircraft type||McDonnell-Douglas MD-11|
|Operator||China Eastern Airlines|
|Flight origin||Hongqiao Airport, Shanghai, People's Republic of China|
|Destination||Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, California, United States|
On April 6, 1993, the McDonnell-Douglas MD-11 was cruising above the Pacific Ocean at Mach 0.84 when a crew member accidentally deployed the slats near the Aleutian Islands. The plane then encountered severe oscillations and made an emergency landing at Shemya Air Force Base in Shemya, Semichi Islands, Alaska, United States.
Of the 255 passengers and crew, 60 were hospitalized. Two ultimately died; Sam Keung, an American, died of his injuries in hospital. Of the cockpit crew, 5 received no injuries and 3 received serious injuries. Of the flight attendants, 8 received no injuries and 4 received serious injuries. Of the surviving passengers, 84 received no injuries, 96 received minor injuries, and 53 received serious injuries. By April 24, 1993 all but three of the surviving passengers were discharged from the hospital.
China Eastern continues to operate the Shanghai-Los Angeles route under flight number 583, departing from Pudong instead of Hongqiao.
- "ASN Aircraft accident McDonnell Douglas MD-11 B-2171 Shemya, AK." Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved on June 15, 2009.
- Phillips, Don. "Article: Engineering Problem Or Crew Error Caused Jet to Pitch Violently." The Washington Post. April 14, 1993. Retrieved on June 15, 2009.
- Enge, Marilee. "HOSPITALS SEE CHINA PAYING BILLS." Anchorage Daily News. April 24, 1993. B1. Retrieved on June 15, 2009.
- "Final Report Archived 2013-02-11 at WebCite." National Transportation Safety Board. 5. Retrieved on May 25, 2011.
- "The McDonnell Douglas MD-11 Accident History". www.airlinesafety.com. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- "N951AR Sky Lease Cargo McDonnell Douglas MD-11F - cn 48495 / 461". www.planespotters.net. Retrieved 2016-05-31.