China Global Television Network
|Slogan||See the difference.|
|Headquarters||CCTV Headquarters, Beijing|
|Owner||China Central Television|
|31 December 2016|
China Global Television Network (CGTN; Chinese: 中国国际电视台; pinyin: Zhōngguó guójì diànshìtái or Chinese: 中国环球电视网; pinyin: Zhōngguó Huánqiú Diànshì Wǎng), formerly CCTV International, is a group of six international multi-language television channels owned and operated by China Central Television (CCTV), a nationally owned media organization in China.
A state media outlet, CGTN has published propaganda on behalf of the Communist Party of China intermixed with normal news. CGTN has broadcast misinformation and made false allegations against opponents of the Chinese government. The network has been investigated by Ofcom for biased coverage and the airing of forced confessions, and is characterized as a vehicle for government propaganda campaigns by several sources. In 2018, CGTN was ordered by the U.S. Justice Department to register as a foreign agent.
All six non-Chinese language television channels under CCTV International were simultaneously relaunched at 4:00 am GMT (midday BJT), on 31 December 2016 to bear the CGTN name. CCTV-4, the international channel in Mandarin Chinese, was not a part of this rebranding.
|Name||Language||Launch Date||Previous Name|
|CGTN||English||20 September 1997|
|CGTN Español||Spanish||1 October 2007|
|CGTN Français||French||1 October 2007|
|CGTN العربية||Arabic||25 July 2009||CCTV العربية|
|CGTN Русский||Russian||10 September 2009||CCTV Русский|
|CGTN Documentary||English||1 January 2011||CCTV-9 Documentary|
|CGTN Africa||English||11 January 2012|
|CGTN America||English||6 February 2012|
|CGTN Europe||English||8 October 2019|
- 习近平致信祝贺中国国际电视台（中国环球电视网）开播. Xinhua. 2016-12-31.
- "CGTN-About Us". CGTN homepage. Archived from the original on 2019-03-31. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- Cook, Sarah (September 25, 2019). "China Central Television: A Long-standing Weapon in Beijing's Arsenal of Repression". The Diplomat. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- Lim, Louisa; Bergin, Julia (2018-12-07). "Inside China's audacious global propaganda campaign". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-12-12.
- McCarthy, Simone (2019-09-24). "Chinese broadcaster CGTN's Hong Kong protests coverage probed by UK watchdog".
- Handley, Erin (2020-01-17). "Print Email Facebook Twitter More Safe and sound? China launches propaganda blitz to discredit Uyghur #StillNoInfo campaign". ABC News. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- "Justice Department Has Ordered Key Chinese State Media Firms to Register as Foreign Agents". The Wall Street Journal. 2018-09-18.
- "CCTV to launch CGTN". CCTV America. 2016-12-30. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- Split from CCTV-E&F.