China Railway Construction Corporation Limited
|Traded as||SEHK: 1186
1990 (holding company)
2007 (listed company)
|Chairman: Fengchao Meng|
|Revenue||CN¥592 billion (2014)|
|CN¥14 billion (2014)|
|CN¥12 billion (2014) |
Number of employees
|249,624 (2014) |
|Parent||China Railway Construction Corporation (61.3%)|
|Website||China Railway Construction Corporation Ltd.|
|China Railway Construction Corporation Limited|
China Railway Construction Corporation Limited (abbreviated CRCC) is a state-owned construction enterprise that is the second largest construction and engineering company in the world by revenue according to Engineering News Record in 2014.
The limited company was incorporated in 2007 in order to float the assets of "China Railway Construction Corporation" [Group] (CRCCG, simplified Chinese: 中国铁道建筑总公司; traditional Chinese: 中國鐵道建築總公司, or the holding company) in Shanghai and Hong Kong stock exchange.
The financial report of the parent company (holding company) is not disclosed. As both parent and subsidiary share the same English name (they have different names in Chinese), the business activities of the holding company was often incorrectly mixed up with the publicly floated limited liability subsidiary by the media.
- China Railway Bureau Groups numbered 11 through 25 (the Bureau Groups numbering 1 through 10 belong to competitor China Railway Engineering Corporation)
- China Railway Construction Bridge Engineering Bureau Group Co., Ltd. (former 13th Bureau)
- China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC)
- China Railway Construction Group Ltd.
- China Railway Electrification Bureau Group Co., Ltd.
- China Railway Real Estate Group Co., Ltd.
- China Railway Goods and Materials Co., Ltd.
- Kunming China Railway Large Maintenance Machinery Co., Ltd.
- China Railway Construction Investment Co., Ltd.
- CRCC Finance Company Limited
- China Railway Urban Construction Group Co., Ltd.
Formerly the railway arm of the People's Liberation Army (found 1948 and became part of Ministry of Railways from 1982). Along with China Railway Engineering Corporation, both railway construction super conglomerates were under the Ministry until 2000.
In 2003, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation, another former entity of Ministry of Railways, was assigned to China Railway Construction Corporation as its subsidiary.
In preparation for listing, China Railway Construction Corporation Limited was incorporated in 2007 as a limited company which received most of the assets of the parent company. 5 Build–operate–transfer projects were not included, namely Chongqing Tiefa Suiyu Highway, Nanjing Yangtze River Tunnel, Beijing Tongda Jingcheng Highway, Xianyang Zhongtie Road and Bridge and Guangdong Chaojie Highway. Later on in 2015 CRCC bought Chongqing Tiefa Suiyu Highway from the parent company, while 20% was retained by Chongqing Expressway Co., Ltd.
The company premiered on the Shanghai and Hong Kong in February 2008, raising USD 5.7 billion, making the second largest IPO of that year. The performance was poorer than expected because of poor investment atmosphere from United States subprime mortgage crisis and China's economic macro-control.
CRCC is dedicated to becoming a global construction company. The effort to achieve this status was apparent in the 2000s when by end of the decade, the company had 209 projects in 35 countries, mostly in Africa. It's five major overseas markets then were Algeria, Nigeria, Libya, Angola and Saudi Arabia.
In the succeeding decade, CRCC has branched to more overseas markets and moved up the value chain into overseas high speed rail construction. The company's work in new markets seemed to gather speed in Europe with the announcement of a deal to construct a stadium for F.C. Internazionale Milano as part of an acquisition by a Chinese investor in the club but the acquisition did not go through and so apparently the stadium deal tied to it.
CRCC has built much of the transportation infrastructure in China including high speed rail, subways, and expressways.
- Beijing–Shanghai High-Speed Railway, construction began in April 2008 and commercial serviced started in June 2011.
- Bangladesh The Dhaka Elevated Expressway, the first elevated expressway of Bangladesh, is to be constructed by CRCC in a $1.062 contract signed with the Italthai Industrial Group.
Middle East and North Africa
- Algeria A consortium of CRCC and CITIC constructed the Central and Western sections of the Algeria East–West Highway in a contract worth $6.25 billion.
- Egypt Track upgrade contract for $600m won by the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation unit in April 2015.
- Libya CRCC wins $2.6b bid in 2008 for west-to-east coastal railway 352 km from Khoms to Sirte and a south-to-north railway 800 km long for iron ore transport from the southern city Sabha to Misrata.
- Saudi Arabia CRCC wins 6.7 billion Saudi riyal contract in 2009 to build the first 18 km of the metro in Mecca. However, due to net loss of the project, the state-owned parent company subsidized the listed company to cover the loss.
- Turkey A consortium of CRCC and China National Machinery Import and Export Corporation with two Turkish construction firms constructed the Ankara-Istanbul high-speed railway, which opened in 2014.
- Angola CRCC built a 1344 km railway line in Angola that opened in 2015 for a contract value of $1.83 bn.
- Nigeria The China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation unit signed a $3.5bn contract with the Ogun State in April 2015 to construct a railway line through the state.
Other business areas
The main business activity of the company is in construction and engineering but it is also engaged in real estate development and copper mining.
A team from CRCC in March 2013 joined in the rescue efforts after the worst building collapse in Tanzanian history. The team was praised by the national newspaper for giving the rescue operation Dar es Salaam focus and an urgent pace.
- 中国铁建股份有限公司概况 [Brief summary of China Railway Construction Corporation Limited] (in Chinese). Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- 2014 annual report
- "ENR Top 250 Global Contractors". Engineering News Record. 2014.
- 與中鐵建總公司的關係RELATIONSHIP WITH CRCCG Filing in Hong Kong Stock Exchange (Chinese) (English)
- Connected Transaction Acquisition of Equity Interest in Chongqing Tiefa Suiyu
- "CRCC contributes to capital construction in Africa". Xinhua. November 22, 2009.
- "Press release: Internazionale Holding S.r.l". F.C. Internazaionale Milano. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- F.C. Internazionale Milano S.p.A. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2013, PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A.
- "Now Chinese firm on the scene". Daily Star. August 26, 2014.
- "CRCC reports booming overseas contracts". China Daily. October 20, 2007.
- "Chinese company wins Egyptian track upgrading contract". International Railway Journal. April 15, 2015.
- "World rail market March 2009". Railway Gazette International. 2009-03-08. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Connected Transaction: Signing of the Agreement on the Arrangement of Matters in Relation to the Mecca Light Rail Project and Resumption of Trading CRCC c/o hkexnews.hk
- "Turkey’s new high-speed rail: victory for Erdogan – and China". Global Construction Review. July 29, 2014.
- "CRCC-built Benguela Railway in Angola inaugurated". Want China Times. February 18, 2015.
- Mtulya, Athuman (30 March 2013). "As death toll from gruesome Friday tower tumble hits 22, experts warn more Dar buildings will fall". The Citizen Reporter.