China Railways HXD1
The China Railways HXD1 (also known as the DJ4) is an eight axle high power heavy freight twin unit locomotive of axle configuration Bo'Bo'+Bo'Bo'. Both the HXD1 and HXD2 double unit locomotives were designated DJ4, the HXD2 units being disambiguated DJ4-6000. 
The 7.34 billion Yuan order for 180 locomotives was given in 2004, with the first locomotive manufactured by November 2006. Production of the 180 locomotives in the class took place between 2006 and 2008. A second batch of 40 was delivered between 2009 and 2010.
In 2012 CSR began testing of a revised version of the locomotive, built by using higher levels of domestically sourced equipment. 50 units were delivered (1001 - 1050). Another unit (6001) was built at the end of 2012 by CSR Ziyang using Zhuzhou plans.
In 2013, CSR delivered 2 3xBo'Bo' to Shenhua Mining Group (14.4 MW), directly derived from "normal" HXD1, but with a modernized driver cab. The same operator ordered 8 2xBo'Bo' in the first quarter 2013.
Background and design
Construction of the locomotives was carried out by Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Company Limited. The locomotive consists of two identical single cab Bo'Bo' units coupled together, the main locomotive body is load bearing, electric traction equipment uses an AC/DC-AC transmission chain, with the traction motors being three phase asynchronous devices. The electrical inverter for traction motor power control is an IGBT type. The traction control system is a Siemens SIBA32, units can also be operated in multiple using the Locotrol distributed traction control system.
The locomotives were built for heavy coal trains; in particular the Datong to Qinhuangdao line (Daqin Railway). On the Daqin line the locomotives can operate in pairs, both double headed and distributed along the train.
- Yankun Hou; Paul Gong (14 October 2010), Railway equipment China, Nomura, p. 3
- "High Power AC Electric Freight Locomotive HXD1" (PDF), www.mobility.siemens.com, Siemens, archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-24, retrieved 2012-03-27
- More mega locos join the Chinese coal traction fleet , 1 August 2007 , www.railwaygazette.com
- HXD1型大功率交流传动电力机车 (HXD1-type high-power AC drive electric locomotives) , CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Co., Ltd. , www.gofront.com
- Jean-Marc Allenbach, "BoBo+BoBo CR HXD1 (Spec Sheet)" (PDF), documents.epfl.ch (in French)
- HXD2 electric locomotive news.chineserailways.com
- 全球最大功率交流传动电力机车在湖南株洲下线 The world's largest power AC electric locomotives off the assembly line in Zhuzhou, Hunan, 9 November 2006, news.xinhuanet.com
- Locomotives Reference List[permanent dead link] Electric Double Locomotive HXD1 for Chinese Railways CR www.transportation.siemens.com
- "Introduction: CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Co., Ltd". www.gofront.com. Archived from the original on 2009-03-03.
ZELC has completed the contract of high power HXD1 AC drive 8-axle (9600kW) electric locomotives awarded by Ministry of Railway, China, which was obtained together with Siemens at the end of 2004
- "Prototype heavy haul locomotive on test", www.railwaygazette.com, 6 June 2012
- 神华新型八轴大功率交流电力机车上线试运行. 国务院国资委. 2013-01-17 [2013-01-15].
- 朔黄铁路公司新购电力机车全部上线运行. 新华网河北频道. 2013-02-19 [2013-02-22]
- "HXD1型大功率交流传动电力机车", www.gofront.com, CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Co., Ltd., archived from the original on 2012-05-21, retrieved March 2012 Check date values in:
- Beijing and Jixi, March 2010 Archived 2010-09-26 at the Wayback Machine www.railwaysofchina.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to China Railways HXD1.|