China University of Petroleum
|Nickname||Shí Dà Beijing (石大北京)|
|Nickname||Shí Dà Huadong(石大华东)|
The China University of Petroleum (simplified Chinese: 中国石油大学; traditional Chinese: 中國石油大學; pinyin: Zhōngguó Shíyóu Dàxué) is a university in China. It consists of China University of Petroleum (Beijing), located in Beijing, and China University of Petroleum (Huadong), located in Qingdao. Both are regarded[according to whom?] as the best universities in the field of petroleum related subjects in China. It is placed under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Double First Class Discipline University, with Double First Class status in certain disciplines.
The university, founded in 1953, was known then as Beijing Petroleum Institute. It was founded acquiring the best petroleum associated departments in the country:
- Petroleum research groups in Department of Geology, Department of Mining and Department of Chemical Engineering from Tsinghua University
- Petroleum research groups in four departments of Peiyang University (now Tianjin University)
- Part of Department of Chemical Engineering from Peking University
- Part of Department of Mathematics from Yanching University (now merged into Peking University)
- Some students and faculty from fluid fuel research group in Department of Chemical Engineering from Dalian Institute of Technology (now Dalian University of Technology)
- Some students and faculty in Department of Mining and Department of Chemical Engineering from Northwestern Polytechnical Institute (now the Northwestern Polytechnical University)
It moved to Dongying, Shandong Province in 1969, with name changed to Huadong Petroleum Institute. In 1988, it was renamed The University of Petroleum consisting of one part in Dongying as the college and one in Beijing as the graduate school. Each gradually developed into universities with both undergraduate and graduate students. In January 2005, its name changed to China University of Petroleum. In 2004, China University of Petroleum (East China) began to move to Qingdao, and completed the relocation in 2012. The Dongying campus currently serves as the base for continuing education, remote education, research laboratories, and industry collaboration.
China University of Petroleum specializes in upstream, midstream and downstream petroleum science and engineering, in the overall level of domestic lead. Its five national key specialties are:
- Chemical Engineering and Technology
- Mineral Resources Prospecting and Exploration
- Oil and Gas Well Engineering
- Oil and Gas Storage and Transportation Engineering
- Oil and Gas Field Development Engineering
China University of Petroleum - East China is located in Qingdao. It also manages its old campus in Dongying.
The alumni of CUP include the top officials of China, CEOs of major oil companies, members of Chinese Academy of Sciences, and members of Chinese Academy of Engineering, etc. The most famous alumni are,
- Wu Yi - former Vice Premier of the People's Republic of China, Politburo member
- Zhou Yongkang - former Politburo Standing Committee member, Secretary of the Central Politics and Law Commission
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知" [Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first-class universities and disciplines] (in Chinese).
- "Home." China University of Petroleum-Beijing. Retrieved on January 17, 2016. "China University of Petroleum-Beijing, 18 Fuxue Road, Changping, Beijing China"
- China University of Petroleum
- China University of Petroleum (in Chinese)
- China University of Petroleum, Beijing
- China University of Petroleum, Beijing (in Chinese)
- China University of Petroleum (Archive)
- China University of Petroleum, Beijing (Archive)