China national rugby union team
|Union||Chinese Rugby Football Association|
|Singapore 33-3 China|
(1 November 1997)
| China 56-6 Malaysia|
(5 November 2007)
| South Korea 100-3 China|
(9 September 2006)
The China national rugby union team represents the People's Republic of China in international rugby union. China have yet to make their debut at the Rugby World Cup, but attempted to qualify in both 2003 and 2007. They are currently ranked 66th in the world.
China play their home games in shirts of amber and red with the Chinese flag in the right chest and the away strip is a red shirt with amber sleeves, the red flag is not so clear but still on the away strip being the same colour as the shirt.
China attempted to qualify for the 2003 Rugby World Cup in Australia, taking part in the Asia qualifying tournaments. They started in Pool C of Round 1, playing matches against Sri Lanka and Kazakhstan. Played in April, China lost 9-7 to Sri Lanka, and then defeated Kazakhstan 57-15. They finished at the top of the final standings due to a better points difference, and advanced to Round 2. However, they were knocked out in Round 2, losing both their fixtures against Hong Kong and Chinese Taipei.
China participated in qualifying competitions for the 2007 Rugby World Cup as well. They started in Division 2 of Round 1, contesting matches against the Arabian Gulf rugby union team and Chinese Taipei. China defeated Chinese Taipei 22-19 in their first game, but lost against the Arabian Gulf team, seeing them finish second, and moving into Division 2 of Round 2. However, China lost both their fixtures in Round 2 against Hong Kong and Sri Lanka. China was slated to participate in qualifying for the 2011 Rugby World Cup. However, they were forced to drop out due to visa complications.
China's national sevens team regularly participates in legs of the annual sevens tour, appearing consistently in the Hong Kong tournament. China has traditionally fared quite well, with recent results including a bowl victory in 2007 and a win over Scotland in the 2008 pool stage.
World Cup record
- 1987 Not invited
- 1991 - 1999 Did not enter
- 2003 - 2015 Did not qualify
Full match record
Since 1997, the Chinese team has played 44 matches, of which it has won 22, drawn 2, and lost 20. It did not play in 2016, due to uncertainties over the participation of Thailand in its Division 3 group. It has only ever played teams from Asia (such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Sri Lanka) and the Middle East (such as Iran and Arabian Gulf). Highlights include a 23-7 win over Hong Kong in 2006.
Squad to 2012 Asian Five Nations - Division 3 
- 2003 Rugby World Cup - Asia qualification
- 2007 Rugby World Cup - Asia qualification
- 2011 Rugby World Cup - Asia qualification
- "Buy China Rugby Shirts & Jerseys". www.rugby15.co.uk. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- O'Brien, Tom Mackenzie and Chris (20 June 2006). "China a dragon in the making". Archived from the original on 15 November 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2018 – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-12-20. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Rugby Union - ESPN Scrum - Statsguru - Test matches - Team records". ESPN scrum. Archived from the original on 20 December 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "RWC Qualifying: China vs. Iran". Rugby World Cup 2015. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21.