Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
|Type||Research Organization; Think Tank|
|Affiliations||State Council of China|
|Chinese Academy of Social Sciences|
The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), is a Chinese research institute and think tank with historical origins in the Academia Sinica during the Republic of China era. The institution is the premier comprehensive national academic research organization in the People's Republic of China for the study in the fields of philosophy and social sciences, with the obligation of advancing and innovating in the scientific research of philosophy, social sciences and policies. It was described by Foreign Policy magazine as the top think tank in Asia. CASS is under the auspices of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
The CASS was established in May 1977, based on the 14 research units of the Department of Philosophy and Social Sciences of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, with the aim of promoting the development of philosophy and social sciences, under the instruction of Deng Xiaoping. The first president was Hu Qiaomu, and the current president is Xie Fuzhan.
The quantity of scholars participating in academic exchanges has gone from dozens of people divided into 10 batches in 1979, to over 4,100 people divided into 1398 batches in 1995. In the meanwhile, CASS has established a constructive relationship with over 200 research organizations, academic communities, institutions of higher learning, foundations and related government departments, covering more than 80 countries and regions.
The predecessor of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences was the Department of Philosophy and Social Sciences of the Chinese Academy of Sciences established in 1955.
CASS currently has over 3,200 resident scholars. As of November 2020, the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences has 6 university departments, 42 research institutes, 6 functional departments, 5 directly affiliated institutions, and 3 directly affiliated companies. Of its functional departments, five are focused on research.
The China Social Sciences Press (Chinese: 中国社会科学出版社; pinyin: Zhōngguó Shèhuì Kēxué Chūbǎnshè) was established in June 1978 under the auspices of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, and has published over 8,000 books since its inception.
List of presidents
- Hu Qiaomu (胡乔木): 1977–1982
- Ma Hong (马洪): 1982–1985
- Hu Qiaomu: 1985–1988
- Hu Sheng (胡绳): 1988–1998
- Li Tieying (李铁映): 1998–2003
- Chen Kuiyuan (陈奎元): 2003–2013
- Wang Weiguang (王伟光): April 2013 – March 2018
- Xie Fuzhan (谢伏瞻): March 2018 – Incumbent
Source: China Social Science Network
- The Think Tank Index, Foreign Policy, archived from the original on 2009-01-19
- Shambaugh, David (30 September 2002). "China's International Relations Think Tanks: Evolving Structure and Process". The China Quarterly. Cambridge University Press. 171 (171): 579. doi:10.1017/S0009443902000360. JSTOR 4618770. S2CID 154801635.
- Jian-Ping, Lu (5 August 2019). "China's new strategy for fighting misconduct in academic journals". Chinese Medical Journal. 132 (15): 1865–1866. doi:10.1097/CM9.0000000000000347. PMC 6759119. PMID 31306224.
The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China issued its first policy related to academic ethics on May 30th, 2018, together with the State Council...the new policy clarified that a high-level management system for scientific research integrity with clear responsibilities and efficient coordination should be established, requiring that the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) and the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) be responsible for the overall coordination and guidance of scientific research integrity in the fields of natural sciences, philosophy, and social sciences.
- Sleeboom-Faulkner, Margaret (16 March 2007). "Regulating Intellectual Life in China: The Case of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences". The China Quarterly. Cambridge University Press. 189 (189): 83–99. doi:10.1017/S0305741006000816. JSTOR 20192737.
- "The New Great Leap Forward: Think Tanks with Chinese Characteristics" (Papers Series). CIGI. CIGI. 6 September 2017. p. 10.
- 中国社会科学院语言研究所词典编辑室, ed. (1 September 2016). 现代汉语词典(第七版) [A Dictionary of Current Chinese] (Seventh ed.). Beijing: The Commercial Press. ISBN 978-7-100-12450-8.
- 历史沿革 (in Chinese), Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, archived from the original on 2012-07-22, retrieved 2010-07-14
- "组织机构". cass.cssn.cn. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Faligot, Roger (2019). Chinese Spies: From Chairman Mao to Xi Jinping. Oxford University Press. p. 280. ISBN 978-1-78738-096-7. OCLC 1142330107.
- Gao Guogan (1985). Directory of Chinese Newspapers and Publications. Modern Press. ISBN 978-0-582-97819-5.
- 潘衍习 [Pan Yanxi] (2008-11-17), 中国社科出版社三十年硕果累累 [China Social Sciences Press' accumulated achievements of thirty years], People's Daily, archived from the original on 2011-07-21, retrieved 2010-07-14
- 院领导 [Leaders of the Academy] (in Chinese). Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Retrieved 25 August 2013.