Overseas Chinese clan association
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: page may need to comply with WP:NOTDIRECTORY (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- This page is about overseas Chinese organizations (often known as clans) known as kongsi. For a list of commercial enterprises in the Greater China region, see PRC companies, Hong Kong companies, or Taiwanese companies.
An Overseas Chinese clan association or Kongsi (Chinese: 公司; pinyin: gōngsī; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: kong-si) or "clan halls", is a benevolent organization of popular origin found among overseas Chinese communities for individuals with the same surname. This type of social practice arose, it is held, several centuries ago in China. The Chinese word Kongsi is used in modern Chinese to mean a commercial "company"; the modern term for such associations is 會館 (Pinyin hui guan, literally meaning "meeting hall").
The system of kongsi was utilized by Cantonese throughout the diaspora to overcome economic difficulty, social ostracism, and oppression. In today's Cantonese communities throughout the world, this approach has been adapted to the modern environment, including political and legal factors. The kongsi is similar to modern business partnerships, but also draws on a deeper spirit of cooperation and consideration of mutual welfare.
It has been stated by some that the development and thriving of Cantonese communities worldwide are the direct result of the kongsi concept. A vast number of Cantonese-run firms and businesses that were born as kongsi ended up as multinational conglomerates. In the Chinese spirit, derived in large part from Confucian ideals, these kongsi members or their descendants prefer not to boast so much of their wealth but to take pride in earning worldly and financial success through their work ethic and the combined efforts of many individuals devoted to group welfare.
In Borneo, mining kongsis united to form kongsi federations that functioned as self-governing states. Among the largest kongsi federations was the Lanfang Kongsi, which organised the mostly Hakka Chinese miners who had settled in western Borneo and established a republic, the Lanfang Republic, in what is now the Indonesian province of West Kalimantan.
- 1 Clan associations In Singapore
- 2 List of Clan associations In Malaysia
- 3 Clan associations In the Philippines
- 4 See also
- 5 External links
- 6 See also
- 7 References
Clan associations In Singapore
- Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations
- Overseas Hong Ann Villagers' Association, 30 Lor 24A Geylang
- Singapore Hui Ann Association (新加坡惠安公会), No. 7, Lorong 29 Geylang Singapore 388063
There are several Hainanese clans, all separated by their surnames. Hainan Tan Clan Association, 12 Seah Road (Opposite Raffles hotel)
- Many others unverified
Hakka clan Associations
- Foong Shoon Fui Kuan
- Eng-Teng Association, 132, NEIL Road
- Nanyang Khek Community Guild, 20 Peck Seah St
- Char Yong Association & Hui Choon Free Hospital
- Char Yong (Dabu) Association, 29, Lorong 22, Geylang
- Char Yang Lee Chee Association, 50-B, Lorong 8, Geylang
- Ying Fo Fui Kun
- Singapore Yan Ling Ke Shu Wu Clan Association
Hokkien clan Associations
- Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan, 137 Telok Ayer Street
- The Singapore Tung Ann District Guild, 141 Cecil Street
- Singapore Lam Ann Association, 30 Mohammed Sultan Road
- The Imperial Choo Clan House Museum, Singapore, 9 Coldstream Avenue,
Foochow clan Associations
- Singapore Foochow Association
Teochew clan Associations
- Teochew Poit Ip Huay Kuan
- Ngee Ann Kongsi
- Chung-Lim Community Oversea Association http://www.chung-lim.org.sg/
Surname clan Associations
There are numerous surname clan associations in Singapore. These associations organize cultural activities for their members during traditional festivals such as Chinese New Year and Mid-Autumn Festival. Some clan associations also provide scholarships and bursaries to young students within their clan association.
- Ong Clan General Association, 40 Lorong 24A Geylang
- Ouyang Association, 466 Lorong 3 Geylang
- Gan Clan Singapore
- Singapore Chan Khoo Kong Huay (新加坡曾邱公会), No. 29, Lorong 29 Geylang
- Tai Guan Ong See Association, 7 Race Course Lane, Singapore 218734
List of Clan associations In Malaysia
Kwongtung clan associations
The Kwan Tung Hui Kuan (Guangdong Clan Association) in Taiping, Perak is based in the Temple for the Immortal Woman He, Temple Street. It was founded in 1887 by Chung Keng Quee and others. The temple was renovated in 1948 and 1954. A pair of old stone lions still grace the forecourt. The Ho Hsien-ku Miaou, or temple for Ho, the Immortal Girl, shares the same compound as the association. Ho is one of the Eight Immortals of Chinese legend and is said to have come from Tseng-ch'eng county, Kuang-chou prefecture.
There is also a Shunde Clan Association (Shun-te Hui Kuan) in Taiping. It was probably founded in 1895. It is located at 36 Kota Road.
- Chong San Wooi Koon, King Street, Penang
- Kwangtung & Tengchew Association, Penang Street, Penang
- Ng Fook Tong, (United Association of Cantonese Districts), Chulia Street, Penang
- Kwong Waai Siew Association, (廣惠肇會館), No. 3032, 3rd Floor, Jalan Megat Harun, 14000 Bukit Mertajam, Penang
Hakka clan associations
- Federation of Malaysian Hakka Association
- Tai-Pu Association, 33, Anson Road, Penang
- Eng Tai Hoay Kuan, Toh Aka Lane, Penang
- Cha Yong Association, 49, Tupai Road, Taiping, Perak
- Perak Taipu Association, 19-21, Horley Street, Ipoh, Perak
- Persatuan Tai-Poo Pahang, 71, Jalan Bibby, Raub, Pahang
- Selangor Wilayah Cha Yong Huey Kuan, 95, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
- Selangor Wilayah Chha Yong Fay Choon Kuan, 81-83, Jalan Pasar, Kuala Lumpur
- Selangor Wilayah Cha Yong Li Chee Association, 81-83C, Jalan Pasar, Kuala Lumpur
- NanYang Char Yong Chow Clan Association, 68-C, Halan Brunei Utara, Kuala Lumpur
- Kaying Association of Perak, Jalan Sultan Yussuff, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Ka Yin Association of W.P. Kuala Lumpur & Selangor, No. 63B (3rd Floor, Jalan Sultan, Kuala Lumpur
- Tai Pu Association, 40, Jalan Sultan, Klang, Selangor
- Negeri Sembilan Char Young Fui Koan, 19, Jalan Kapitan Tam Yeong, Seremban
- Char Yong Fui Kuan, 89, Jalan Hang Jebat, Melaka
- Cha Yang Huey Kuan, 151, Jalan Abdullah, Muar, Johore
- Cha Yong Association, 24, Jalan Mohd. Akil, Batu Pahat, Johore
- Kluang Thai Pu Association, 18, Lorong Wayang, Kluang, Johore
- Tai Poo Community Association, 39, Jalan Tabuan, Kuching, Sarawak
- Persatuan Tai Poo Association, 11, 3rd Floor, Kai Peng Road, Sibu, Sarawak
- Miri Thai Poo Community Association, Miri, Sarawak
- Tai Poo Community Association of Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Tseng Lung clan associations
The Tseng Lung Hui-Kuan is the association for Hakka people from Tseng Ch'eng and Lung-men counties of Kuang-chou prefecture in South China.
- Tseng Lung Hui Kuan, Penang, founded in 1886 by Capitan China Chung Keng Quee
- Tseng Lung Hui Kuan, Market Road, Taiping, Perak, founded in 1885 by Capitan China Chung Keng Quee
- Tseng Lung Hui Kuan, Gopeng, Perak, founded in 1885 by Capitan China Chung Keng Quee
Hokkien clan associations
Hokkien Association is an association for immigrants from Fujian province in South China.
- Hokkien Association, Kota Road, was founded in the late Qing dynasty. The site was acquired in 1918 and the building was completed in 1931.
- Hokkien Huay Kuan, 23, Jalan Hang Jebat, Melaka
- Hokkien Huay Kuan, 98, Jalan Datuk Ooh Chooi Cheng, 14000 Bukit Mertajam, Penang
Hainan clan associations
Hainan island was originally part of Guangdong, but it was separated as its own province in 1988.
- Federation of Hainan Associations Malaysia (马来西亚海南会馆联合会), M Floor Wisma Hainan, 112 & 114 Jalan Pudu, 55100 Kuala Lumpur +60-3-2070-4368
- Penang Hainan Association (槟城海南会馆), 93 Muntri Street, 10200 Penang +60-4-262-3752
- Butterworth Hainan Association (北海海南会馆), 3914 Bagan Luar Road, 12000 Butterworth +60-4-323-2891
- Seberang Perai Hainan Association (威省海南会馆), 1 Jalan Melor, 14000 Bukit Mertajam +60-4-539-0677
- Province Wellesley Kheng Jai Association (威省琼崖同乡会), 1 Jalan Melor, 14000 Bukit Mertajam +60-4-539-0677
- Selangor and Federal Territory Hainan Association (雪隆海南会馆), 65, Persiaran Endah, off Jalan Syed Putra, 50460 Kuala Lumpur +60-3-2274-7088
Surname clan associations
- Kew Leong Tong Lim Kongsi, Ah Quee Street, 10200 Penang
- Cheah Si Hock Haw Kong Kongsi (谢氏福候公公司), 8 Armenian Street, 10200 Penang
- Soon Clan Association (孙氏公会), 83 Patani Road, 10150 Penang +60-4-229-3598
- Tay Koon Oh Kongsi (帝君胡公司) / Teng Bee Oh Toon Bok Tong (鼎美胡敦睦堂) / She Foo Kongsi Ann Teng Tong (永定胡氏安定堂), 70 Penang Street, 10200 Penang +60-4-262-0480
- Penang Kuang Har Tong Ooi Kongsi (槟城江夏堂黄公司) / Ooi Si Chong Hoe Seah (黄氏宗和社), 112 Jelutong Road, 11600 Penang
- Loh Si Tong Chong Seah (骆氏同宗社), 34 Logan Road, 10400 Penang +60-4-226-9188
- Chee Yee Thor Seah Clan Association (徐余涂同宗会), 15 Kek Chuan Road, 10400 Penang +60-4-227-4585
- North Malaya Choong Clan Association (北马钟氏公会), 71 Rangoon Road, 10400 Penang
- Ch'ng Si Soo Bee Tong (庄氏四美堂), 26 Kimberley Street, 10100 Penang
- Lum Yeong Tong Yap Kongsi (incorporating the Choo Chay Keong Temple), Junction of Armenian Street and Cannon Street, Penang
- Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi, Cannon Square, 10200 Penang
- Boon San Tong Khoo Kongsi, Victoria Street, 10200 Penang
- Ng See Kah Meow (槟城伍氏家庙) (Ng Clan Association), King Street, 10200 Penang
- Kai Meng Ong Beow (Ong Kongsi) (Ong Si Thye Guan Tong) (槟城王氏太原堂), 436 Penang Road, 10000 Penang +60-4-226-7413
- Eng Chuan Tong Tan Kongsi (颖川堂陈公司), 28 Seh Tan Court, 10300 Penang +60-4-262-2630
- Ho Si Koong Hui (North Malaya) (槟城北马何氏公会), 9 Jalan Sungai Ujong, 10100 Penang +60-4-261-1944
- Lee Sih Chong Soo Penang (槟城李氏宗祠), 182-A Burmah Road, 10050 Penang +60-4-226-7634
- Kheng Ngai Tan See Soo (槟城琼崖陈氏祠), 20 Chulia Lane, 10200 Penang +60-4-890-4545
- North Malaysia Leok Kooi Tong (北马六桂堂), 45 Westland Road, 10400 Penang +60-4-227-9091
- Penang Chay Yeong Tong Sin Quah Chuah Chong Soo (济阳堂辛柯蔡宗祠), 37 Codrington Avenue, Penang +60-4-227-1057
- Khaw Kongsi (Koe Yang Tong) (许氏高阳堂), 36 Burmah Road, 10050 Penang
- North Malaya Tang's (Nanyang Tong) Association (北马邓氏南阳堂), 72-J Anson Road, 10400 Penang +60-4-228-4637
- North Malaya Cheah Si Chong Soo (北马谢氏宗祠), 22 Pangkor Road, 10050 Penang +60-4-226-7769
- Leow See Chong Soo (廖氏宗祠), 1 Jalan Sungai Ujong, 10100 Penang +60-4-262-7044
- Tan Si Eng Chuan Tong Province Wellesley (威省陈氏颖川堂), 18 Jalan Kampung Paya, 12200 Butterworth +60-4-331-0408
- Wong Si Chong Ci Koong Har Tong Society (江夏堂黄氏宗祠), 39 Penang Street, 10200 Penang +60-4-261-0848
- Low Clan Association (刘氏公会), 89 Magazine Road, 10300 Penang
- Tan Si Teoh Tng Seah (陈氏潮塘社), 361-A Perak Road, 10150 Penang +60-4-826-0254
- Lam Yeong Tong Yap Temple (南阳堂叶氏宗祠), 71 Armenian Street, 10200 Penang +60-4-261-0679
- Thye Guan Tong (Ong Kongsi) (武吉淡汶王氏太原堂), 13 Bukit Tambun, 14100 Simpang Ampat
- Leok Keow Lim Si Association (北马六桥林氏公会), 21 Sri Bahari Road, 10050 Penang +60-4-263-1996
- Ooi Si Chong Hoe Seah (黄氏宗和社), 112 Jalan Jelutong, Penang
- Chew Si Kee San Tong (周氏岐山堂), 33 Kimberley Street, 10100 Penang +60-4-262-3479
- Foong See Chie Peng Tong (冯氏始平堂), 16-C Lorong Abu Siti, 10400 Penang +60-4-228-7157
- Goh Kongsi (Eng Leng Tong) (吴氏宗祠(延陵堂)), 22 Noordin Street, 10300 Penang +60-4-263-1392
- Persatuan Kaum Lim Khay Trang (槟城林氏溪东公会), 83-E Air Itam Road, 10460 Penang +60-4-226-6318
- Ang Si Toon Hong Tong (洪氏敦煌堂), 67 Lorong Selamat, 10400 Penang
- Yeoh Si Association (杨氏公会), 20 Malay Street, 10100 Penang
- Lim Si Teong How Tong (槟城林氏忠孝堂), 64 Noordin Street, 10300 Penang +60-4-262-6644
- Saw Khaw Lean Chong Shu (苏许连宗祠), 36 Burmah Road, 10050 Penang +60-4-227-2051
- Choo Si Phai Kok Tong (朱氏沛国堂), 30 Noordin Street, 10300 Penang +60-4-261-1562
- Kheng Tian Tong Yew Kongsi (卿田堂尤公司), 376-Q Perak Road, 11600 Penang
- Gan Clan Association of North Malaysia, 61 Perak Road, 10150 Penang +60-4-2289272
- Sum Seng Tong Chan Kongsi (槟城三省堂曾公司), 63 Perak Road, 10150 Penang
- Leong Clan Temple Penang (槟城梁氏家庙), 65 Jalan Perak, 10150 Penang +60-4-229-1108
- Neoh Si Chong Soo (Moi Keng Tong) (梁氏宗祠(梅镜堂)), 99 Seang Teik Road, 10400 Penang
- Koay Si Hoon Yeong Tong (郭氏汾阳堂), 234 MacAlister Road, 10400 Penang +60-4-226-4128
- Persatuan Foo See Seah Wilayah Utara (北马符氏宗亲会/北马符氏宗祠), 12-A Lorong Abu Siti, 10400 Penang +60-4-226-8904
- It Ban Kok Club (以文阁俱乐部), 90 Hutton Lane, 10050 Penang +60-4-262-0055
- Chan Seng Thong Heong Wooi (槟城增龙同乡会), 28 Clarke Street, 10050 Penang +60-4-263-0075
- Loo See Association (吕氏公会), 28 MacAlister Lane, 10400 Penang +60-4-226-6703
- Penang Kwong Thung Lee See Chung Chie (槟城广东李氏宗祠), 39 King Street, 10200 Penang
- Teoh Si Cheng Hoe Tong (槟城张氏清河堂), 260-B Carnarvon Street, 10100 Penang +60-4-261-1178
- Swee Cheok Tong (Quah Kongsi) (檳城瑞鵲堂柯公司) or Quah Si Swee Cheok Tong (柯氏瑞鵲堂), 24 Carnarvon Lane, 10100 Penang
- Kang Har Tong (Ng Kongsi) (大山脚黄氏江夏堂), 17 Aston Road, 14000 Bukit Mertajam +60-4-539-3099
- Thye Guan Tong (Ong Kongsi) (武吉淡汶王氏太原堂) 13 Bukit Tambun Main Road, 14100 Simpang Ampat
- Chua Clan Chiyang Association (麻屬蔡氏濟陽公) 17-1, 1st Floor, Taman Permata, Jalan Haji Jaib, 84000 Muar, Johor, Malaysia. +60-6-9532027 http://www.chiyangmuar.org.my
- Theng Chuan Tan Clan Association, Johor
- Teh Kongsi or Teh Si Eng Eong Tong (郑氏荥阳堂) or Zhengshi Ying Yang Tang in Penang was first founded by Chung Keng Quee (Zheng Jinggui) in Kimberley Street. Chung in the Hockien dialect is Teh.
- Chung Kongsi - see Teh Kongsi.
- Persatuan Seow Pulau Pinang/The Seow Association Of Penang(萧氏宗亲会),No.17, Jalan Limau Manis Satu Taman Limau Manis,14000 Bukit Mertajam,Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
- Lai Clan Association North Malaya (北马赖氏宗祠) 114, 1st Floor, Noordin Street, 10300 Penang. Tel: +604-2627923
Clan associations In the Philippines
Surname Family clan Associations
- Grand Family Association of the Philippines (宗聯) - Umbrella association of the Family clans
- Lin Pok Sy Foundation Inc. – Sy, See, Siy, Shi etc.
- Philippine Kho’s Association (許氏宗親總會) – Kho, Co, Ko, Xu, Hui etc.
- Tee’s Charitable Association Inc. – Tee, Ty, Zheng etc.
- Philippine Tai Guan Ong’s Association – Ong, Wang etc.
- Che Yong Cua Chua Association – Cua, Chua, Ke, Cai, Choi etc.
- Filipinas Chinese Wei Due Fraternity – Yao, Yu, Tan, Aw, Tian, Yeu, Chen, Hu etc.
- Philippine Lioc Kui Foundation Inc. – Ang, King, Hong, Kang, Ong-, Hung, Jiang etc.
- Philippine Liong Tek Fraternity – Go, Wu, Ng etc.
- Philippine Kang Ha Association Inc. – Uy, Huang etc.
- Se Jo Tong Family Association Inc. – Lim, Lin, Lam etc.
- Filipinas CMC & Fraternity Association Inc. – Lee, Li, Dy etc.
- Hin Long Inc. – Yu, Yang, Yong etc.
- Liatsan Family Association in the Phils. – Lv, Lu, Gao, Xu, Ji, Co, Kho, Lo, Kee etc.
- Philippine Bukong So Association Inc.– So, Su etc.
- The Po Lua Families Association – Po, Lua, Fu, Lai etc.
- Loong Kong Kung So, Inc. – Lao, Kuan, Tiu, Teo, Liu, Guan, Zhang, Zhao
- Philippine Lao Too Family Association – Lao, Too, Tuo, Hao, Tang, Fan, Ling, Yee, Shi, Qi, Ji, Liu, Haw, Tong etc.
- Philippine Liok Lan Foundation Inc. – Sio, Chung, Chong, Yap, Lim, Shen, Yu etc.
- Pua’s Family Association – Pua, Pan, Poon etc.
- Tang-Yu Foundation Inc. – Tang, Yu etc.
- Philippine Chim Ho Tan’s Association – Tan, Chen etc.
- Philippine Tiu Gan Family Association – Tiu, Gan, Zhang, Yan etc.
- Sia Family Association of the Philippines – Sia, Xie etc.
- Chan Cu Association of the Philippines – Chan, Cu, Qiu etc.
- Ching Shen Family Association – Kim, Ting, Ma, Pe, Que, Jin, Kwok etc.
- Kim Siu Ching Foundation Philippines Inc. – Ching, Zhuang etc.
- Hun Yong Que’s Family Association – Que etc.
- Philippine Chu Gue Fraternity, Inc. – Chu, Gue, Ni, Zhu etc.
- Ham Yong Fraternity Inc. – Wee, Hong, Niu, Man, Wei, Fong, Liang, Bi, Wan etc.
- Philippine Song Te Family Association, Inc. – Song, Sung, Te, Tai etc.
- Philippine Ting’s Family Association – Ting
- Philippine Ho Family Association, Inc. – Ho
- Soo Yuen Benevolent Association, Inc. – Lui, Hong, Kuang etc.
- Yap Fraternity Inc. – Yap, Ye etc.
- Philippine Sia’s Family Association – Sia
- Chung Sun Woi Kwon – Yan, Tang
- Philippine Chin Guan Lao Family Association Inc. – Lao
- Lian Ling Tong – Sio, Siaw etc.
- Pe Clan Association Philippines, Inc. - Pe
Hokkien clan associations
- Philippine Lam An Association (菲律賓南安公會) - 2725 Jose Abad Santos Avenue near corner Solis St., Manila
- Philippine Jin Jiang General Association (晉江總會)
- Philippine Quan Jhou Association (泉州公會)
- Filipino Chinese Shi Shi Townmate Association (石獅同鄉總會)
- Philippine Ever Spring Association (永春同鄉會)
- Philippine Hui An Association (惠總)
- Hui (secret society)
- Malaysian Chinese
- List of Chinese American Associations
- Tong (organization)
- Triad (underground society)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Overseas Chinese benevolent associations.|
- Chinatownology: clan associations in Singapore
- Huang Clan Associations Worldwide
- Overseas Chinese Associations
- Singapore Chan Khoo Kong Huay 新加坡地曾邱公会 http://chankhoo.freezoka.net/
- Singapore Hui Ann Association 新加坡惠安公会 http://huiann.icr38.net
- Grand Family Association, Philippines 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Overseas Chinese benevolent associations.|
- "Hakka Lanfang Republic". 2002. Archived from the original on December 31, 2005. Retrieved 2006-04-21.
- Binglang Yu Hua ren shi tu lu The Chinese in Penang: A Pictorial History By Kim Hong Tan, 陈剑虹, Published by Areca Books, 2007, ISBN 983-42834-7-4, ISBN 978-983-42834-7-6, Page 67
- Persatuan Keturunan The Si Eng Eong Tong @ No.148, Jalan Hutton, 10050 Penang, Malaysia. Tel：+604-228 4304 Fax：+604-228 4304
- a large portion of this article originated in http://www.dragon-gate.com/shopping/product/productDetail.asp?sku=BK089&id=1015&cid=4, Dragon-gate.com's review of Wang Tai Peng's work on the history of kongsi.