Chinese Historical Society of Southern California
Chinese Historical Society of Southern California (CHSSC, traditional Chinese: 南加州華人歷史學會; simplified Chinese: 南加州华人历史学会; pinyin: Nán Jiāzhōu Huárén Lìshǐ Xuéhuì) is located in Los Angeles Chinatown, at 415 Bernard Street. Its Chinatown Heritage & Visitors Center is open to the public. It was started by Paul Louie, William Mason, and Paul De Falla, with the organizing meeting held at Cathay Bank on November 1, 1975.
Its mission, as stated on its website, is as follows:
- To bring together people with a mutual interest in the important history and historical role of Chinese and Chinese Americans in Southern California;
- To pursue, preserve and communicate knowledge of this history; and
- To promote the heritage of the Chinese and Chinese American community in support of a better appreciation of our rich, multi-cultural society.
CHSSC is one of the most active historical societies in Southern California. There are monthly meetings, field trips, archive and library collections, oral history projects, scholarships, and publications.
- Portraits of Pride I & II Publication
- 19th Century Chinese Memorial Shrine Preservation Project
- Chinese Americans in World War II
Each year the Chinese Historical Society of Southern California honors Chinese Americans who have made significant contributions to the greater Los Angeles community. They have included:
- 2005 - Los Angeles Chinese American Pioneers in Law — Betty Tom Chu, Judge Rose Hom, You Chung Hong (1898-1977), Judge Ronald S.W. Lew (Chinese name: 刘成威), Judge Jennifer Lum, Judge Delbert Wong, Debra Yang (Chinese: 楊黃金玉)
- 2006 - Chinese American Actors — including James Hong (Chinese: 吳漢章), Nancy Kwan (Chinese: 關家蒨), Russell Wong (Chinese: 王盛德)
- 2007 - Los Angeles Chinese American Banking Pioneers — Preston Martin, F.Chow Chan, Cathay Bank (Chinese: 國泰銀行), East West Bank (Chinese: 華美銀行), Far East National Bank (Chinese:遠東國民銀行), First Public Savings, General Bank Trust Savings, Standard Bank, Golden Security Bank (金安銀行), Eastern International, The Continental Bank
- 2008 - Chinese American Associations — Arcadia Chinese Association, Chinese American Association of Walnut, Diamond Bar Chinese American Association, San Gabriel Valley Chinese American Cultural Association, San Fernando Valley Chinese Cultural Association, South Bay Chinese Woman's Association, South Coast Chinese Cultural Association, South Pasadena Chinese American Club, and Ventura County Chinese American Historical Society
- 2009 - Celebrating Chinese Americans in Sports — Michael Chang (Chinese: 張德培), Tennis player; Tiffany Chin (Chinese: 陳婷婷), Olympian; Bob Chow, Olympian; Norm Chow (Chinese: 周友賢), football Coach; Lawrence Hom, volleyball player; Cameron Inouye, WNBA Referee; Carol Jue, college basketball head coach; Kim Ng, Los Angeles Dodgers; Jon Soo Hoo, sports photographer; Richard Tom, Olympian; Charles B. Wang (Chinese: 王嘉廉), Owner of New York Islanders Hockey Club; Kevin Wong, volleyball player; Annie Yee, cheerleader; Chinese American Athletic Association; Chinatown Firecracker Run Committee.
- History of the Chinese Americans in Los Angeles
- Chinese American Museum
- Chinese Culture Center
- Chinese Historical Society of America
- Museum of Chinese in America
- Ni, Ching-Ching (July 25, 2010). "Irvin R. Lai dies at 83; Chinese American community leader in Los Angeles". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- CHSSC 2005 Honorees Archived 2008-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- CHSSC 2006 Honorees Archived 2008-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- CHSSC News 'N Notes June 2007 Archived 2011-03-12 at the Wayback Machine
- CHSSC News 'N Notes June 2008 Archived 2011-03-12 at the Wayback Machine