Chinese Travel Document
|People's Republic of China
Chinese Travel Document issued in 2010
|Issued by||People's Republic of China|
|Type of document||Travel Document|
|Eligibility requirements||Chinese nationality|
People's Republic of China Travel Document (Chinese: 中华人民共和国旅行证; pinyin: Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Lǚxíngzhèng), formerly known as People's Republic of China Travel Permit, is a type of travel documents issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China to people who are legally defined as Chinese citizens for their travel to China and other countries.
Circumstances of use
The Travel Document is issued to citizens of the People's Republic of China in situations when it is "inconvenient" or "unnecessary" to issue a People's Republic of China passport. Some cases include:
- Chinese nationals residing in Mainland China who lost their passport while traveling abroad may apply for this document as an emergency passport for returning to China.
- Chinese nationals who are permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macau intending to enter Mainland China directly from other countries without a Home Return Permit.
- Residents of Taiwan intending to enter Mainland China or Hong Kong directly from other countries, who are Chinese citizens according to Chinese law. Travelling to Hong Kong, however, requires a separate application for a visa-like entry permit.
- Chinese nationals born abroad who acquire Chinese nationalities at birth in accordance with the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China through jus sanguinis. The Chinese Travel Document is issued as a Chinese identification and travel document.
- Chinese nationals born in China but who also acquired a foreign nationality at birth, such as a child born in China to one Chinese parent and one American parent. This child is automatically a citizen of both countries due to the countries' nationality laws, but is not eligible for Chinese Hukou and therefore not eligible for a Chinese passport.
- What's the difference between a Travel Document and a Passport? (Chinese) Central People's Government of the People's Republic of China.