This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||10 September 1958|
|Occupation||Professor of English, essayist, translator|
|Notable awards||Le Chevalier des Palmes Académiques;Le Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres|
|Spouse||Anasuya Guha (Professor of English at Bethune College)|
Chinmoy Guha (born in September 1958 in Kolkata, India) is a professor and former Head of Department of English at the University of Calcutta, a Bengali essayist and translator, and a scholar of French language and literature. He has been the Vice-Chancellor of Rabindra Bharati University and Director of Publications, Embassy of France, New Delhi. Earlier he taught English at Vijaygarh Jyotish Ray College in Kolkata for more than two decades, and French at the Alliance Française and the Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture for eleven and five years respectively.
He has won the Lila Ray award of the Government of West Bengal in 2008 and the Derozio bicentenary award in 2010. He has been awarded knighthoods by the ministries of Education and Culture of the Government of France, in 2010 and 2013. Paschimbanga Bangla Akademi and the Government of West Bengal conferred on him Vidyasagar Puroshkar in 2017.
Guha graduated in English literature from St. Xavier's College, Calcutta and followed up with a M. A. from the University of Calcutta. He completed his PhD from Jadavpur University where he was a Teacher Fellow for one year.
He has researched in France, Britain and Switzerland. He has lectured on Romain Rolland and India at the India Festival in Boulogne-Billancourt (2002), at University of Avignon (2004), Ecole Normale Supérieure of Lyon (2005), Institut national des langues et civilisations orientales (2009), Cité internationale universitaire de Paris (2009) and the Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Mauritius (2012). He has been a visiting professor at the Fondation Maison des sciences de l'homme, Paris (2009).
Guha had been a tenured professor in the Department of English of University of Calcutta. He was also the former Head of the department and the Chair of the Undergraduate Board of English Studies. He has also served a lecturer at multiple foreign universities including the likes of Paris-Sorbonne, Oxford et al.
Guha was the Vice-Chancellor of Rabindra Bharati University and was a former Director of the Embassy of France in New Delhi.
- Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres, Government of France, 2013.
- Chevalier des Palmes Académiques, Government of France, 2010.
- Lila Ray State Award for Translation, Paschimbanga Bangla Akademi, Government of West Bengal, 2008.
- Swatantra Samman, 2012.
- Vidyasagar Puroshkar, Paschimbanga Bangla Akademi, Kolkata, Government of West Bengal, 26 May 2017
He has been the narrator of several documentaries produced by the Bhasha Mandakini project of the Central Institute of Indian Languages. The documentaries pertained to subjects such as Rabindranath Tagore, Arun Mitra, Kaliprasanna Singha, Peary Chand Mitra and Buddhadeb Bosu.
- Maxims by la Rochefoucauld (Bengali translation from French), 1990, 1997. Dey's Publishing, 2007.
- The Apu Trilogy by Robin Wood (Bengali translation from English), 1992, Parul Edition, 2012.
- The Tower and the Sea: Correspondence between Romain Rolland and Kalidas Nag 1922–1938 (Edited and French letters translated), Papyrus, 1996; Sahitya Akademi, 2010.
- Shirno Toron [Strait is the Gate by André Gide] Sahitya Akademi, 1997, 2003, 2011.
- George Dandin by Molière [co-translated with Arup Rudra and edited], Model Publications, 1998.
- Conjugation of French Verbs, Robert et Nathan, Tr. into English, W R Goyal, New Delhi, 2000.
- Where the Dreams Cross: T S Eliot and French Poetry, Papyrus, 2000; Macmillan 2011.
- Ahammaker Abhidhan [The Dictionary of Idiots] by Gustave Flaubert, Proma, 2001, Gangchil, 2007, 2009.
- Danton: The Theatre of French Revolution by Romain Rolland, Anustup, 2002.
- Victor Hugo: A Biography, Papyrus, 2003.
- Kendra o Anupastithir Majkhane: An Anthology of French Poetry, Prativas, 2004.
- Chilekothar Unmadini o Anyanya Prabandha, Ananda Publishers, 2007.
- Remembering Sartre, co-edited with Sudeshna Chakravarti, Dasgupta and Co., 2007.
- Time, Space, Text: Mapping Cultural Paradigms, co-edited with Tirtha Prasad Mukhopadhyay, University of Calcutta and UGC-Academic Staff College, 2008.
- Anya Jalbatash Anya Dheu: An Anthology of Twentieth Century French Poetry, Deys Publishing, 2010.
- Garho Sankher Khonje: A Collection of Essays, Ananda Publishers, January 2011.
- Aaina Bhangte Bhangte, Conversations with Rabindra Kumar Dasgupta, Mrinal Sen, Badal Sircar, Father Detienne, P. Lal, Tapan Raychaudhuri, Sankha Ghosh, Dipendu Chakraborty, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak. Gangchil, 2011.
- Breaking the Silence: Virginia Woolf, Ashapurna Devi and Simone de Beauvoir, co-edited with Sanjukta Dasgupta, Dasgupta and co, 2011.
- On the Seashore of Humanity: The Sesquicentenary Volume on Tagore, co-edited with Professor Biswanath Roy, Chief Editor: Professor Suranjan Das, University of Calcutta, 2012.
- Anubad Sangraha, vol 1, Arun Mitra, Ed. Chinmoy Guha, Gangchil, 2012.
- Prabandha Sangraha, vol 1, Arun Mitra, Ed. Chinmoy Guha, Gangchil, 2013.
- Tagore-At Home in the World, co-edited with Sanjukta Dasgupta, Sage Publications, 2013.
- Brishti ar Roddurer Kabita, Jacques Prevert, co-edited with Palash Bhadra, Parul Publications, 2014.
- Prabandha Sangraha, vol 2, Arun Mitra, Ed. Chinmoy Guha, Gangchil, 2014.
- Amar Chaplin [My Chaplin], Mrinal Sen, Trans. Chinmoy Guha, Ananda Publishers, 2015.
- Ghumer Darja Thele, Signet Press-Ananda Publishers, 2016.
- Connecting Texts: Literature, Theatre and Cinema, Co-edited with Sinjini Bandyopadhyay, Dasgupta and co, 2016.
- Stage and Screen: Representations and Self-Discoveries, Co-edited with Sinjini Bandyopadhyay, Dasgupta and co, 2017.
- Bridging East and West: Rabindranath Tagore and Romain Rolland Correspondence 1919-1940, Edited, introduced, annotated and French Letters Translated, Oxford University Press, 2018.
Articles in books
- Voices from Bengal, An Anthology of Modern Poetry, (Ed. Sukanta Chaudhuri), Sahitya Akademi Kolkata, 1997.
- Whatever I Write and have Written is You, An Anthology of Poems by Samarendra Sengupta, Cambridge Books, Kolkata, 1998.
- "Man with the Lamp", Be Vocal in Times of Beauty, Ed. C. Venugopal, Writers Workshop, Kolkata, 2000.
- André Gide's Introduction to his French Translation of Tagore's Gitanjali, Gitanjali, Bilingual Edition, Visva-Bharati and UBS, 2003.
- "Out of Place: the Translator's Identity" in Poetry: Text and Context, UGC Academic Staff College and Department of English, University of Calcutta, 2004.
- "The Return of the Dead: Laforgue and Eliot", in Phases of Twentieth Century Literature in English (Foreword. by Amiya Dev), Thakurpukur Vivekananda College, Kolkata, 2004.
- Lessons on Lessons, Writers Workshop, Kolkata, 2005.
- "Eliot-er Purbapurush", T S Eliot: Bangali Mon o Monone, Ed Tapas Basu, Pustak Bipani, Kolkata, 1991.
- "The Golden Harp: Tagore and St-John Perse", Tagore and Modernity, University of Calcutta, Dasgupta & Co., Kolkata, 2006.
- "Sunya Ainar Madhye", Anudito o Aunusari Bangla Sahitya, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, 2006.
- "Alokeranjan Dasgupta" in Kritisches Lexikon der fremdsprachigen Gegenwartsliteratur: Indische Literatur der Gegenwart, Edition text+ kritik in Richard Boorberg Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Germany
- Lines in Anger: Protest in Literature and literature of Protest, Sponsored by University Grants Commission, Gurudas College, 2006.
- "Thy Infinite Gifts, Article on Tagore and St John Perse", Gitanjali, Parul Prakashani, Kolkata, September 2007.
- Sampratik Biswasahitya: Manabik Mukh, Paschim Banga Ganatantrik Shilpi Sangha, Kolkata, 2007.
- Article in French: "En quête d'un nouvel espace: Romain Rolland et l'Inde" in L'Usage de L'Inde dans les littératures francaises et contemporaines (XIIIe –XXe siecles) la Société Internationale des Littératures de l'Ere Coloniale, Paris: Edition Kailash, 2008.
- "Questioning the Frontiers: Rabindranath and Romain Rolland", Narrating the (Trans)Nation, University of Calcutta, Das Gupta and Co., Kolkata, 2008.
- "Quest for an Alternative Discourse", 50 Years of Independence, Ed. Ananda Dasgupta, Gangchil, 2008.
- Thots n Jots, UGC Academic Staff College, Calcutta University, 2009
- Introduction, Duti Natak, Albert Camus, Tr. Palash Bhadra, Radiance, Kolkata, 2010.
- "La Guirlande des beaux Accords", Romain Rolland: Une Oeuvre de Paix, Publications de la Sorbonne, Paris, June 2010.
- "On Buddhadev's Translation of Baudelaire", Buddhadev Bose: Boichitrer Nana Matra, Ratnabali, 2010.
- "Rabindranath o Romain Rolland: Muchhe Jaoa Sanglap", Rabindranath: Vakpati Viswamana, Adviser: Sankha Ghosh,Ed.Sudhir Chakrabarty, Calcutta University and Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata, May 2011.
- "Rabindranath o Romain Rolland", Rabindranath Thakur o Ekush Shataker Bangali, Burdwan University, Ed. Sumita Chakrabarty, May 2011.
- "Romain Rolland and Annada Sankar Ray", Desh, Kal, Patra: Commemorative volume on Annada Sankar Ray, Sahitya Akademi, 2011.
- "Tagore and Anna de Noailles", Avipshito Rabindranath, Ed. Rajatsuvro Mukhopadhyay, Deep Prakashani, 2012.
- "Kamalakanta: Ek Bishphorak Aina", Bankim 175, Advisor: Tapan Raychaudhuri, Ed. Satyajit Chaudhuri, Sahitya Akademi, 2014.
- "Rabindranath Tagore and Romain Rolland: Crossing the Frontiers", in Tagore's Vision of the Contemporary World, Indian Council of Cultural Relations, and Har Anand, New Delhi, 2016.
- "Esquisse d'une Grande Oeuvre: Romain Rolland et Tagore", in Romain Rolland et l'Inde: Un échange fructueux, Editions universitaires de Dijon, France, 2016.
- "Bankimchandra: Natun ek Siharon", in Bangla Academy Patrika: Nirbachito Nibandha, Ed. Saoli Mitra, Paschimbanga Bangla Academy, 2017.
- "Teachers-Profile-chinmoy". Caluniv.ac.in. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "French honour for Professor Chinmoy Guha – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "PASSERELLE : Chinmoy Guha, les littératures au cœur". Le Mauricien. 5 April 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "CONFERENCE DU PROFESSEUR CHINMOY GUHA | CitĂŠ internationale universitaire de Paris". 22.214.171.124. 24 November 2009. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Teachers' Profile of Professor Chinmoy Guha". Archived from the original on 9 September 2018. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Fondation Maison des sciences de l'homme: Chercheurs invités DEA". Msh-paris.fr. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Int'l French Theatre Festival ends on a positive note". thedailystar.net. 22 April 2009. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Epiphany that unlocked a genius | English". Times Higher Education. 11 May 2001. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Details". Epaper.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "French honour for CU professor – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 4 April 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Dr. Chinmoy Guha's speech on Leela Roy's birth centenary Part-5". YouTube. 12 August 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Chinmoy Guha's blog"
- "Chinmoy Guha in conversation with Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak in Sunil Gangopadhyay Memorial Session"
- "Chinmoy Guha: The history of man is a history of pain, injustice, wars, and heroic battles..."
- "Romain Rolland et Rabindranath Tagore: Conférence à l'Alliance Française du Bengale"
- "Chinmoy Guha's essay on T. S. Eliot's 125th birthday"
- "Chinmoy Guha on Nabarun Bhattacharya"