Chinook Regional Hospital
|Chinook Regional Hospital|
|Alberta Health Services|
|Location||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Hospital type||Teaching, Regional/Level III trauma centre|
|Affiliated university||University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine|
|Helipad||TC LID: CLH4|
Chinook Regional Hospital is the main hospital in southern Alberta and offers many of the health care services for Alberta Health Services. The hospital services a population of over 150,000 and is supported by the Chinook Regional Hospital Foundation.
Up until 1960, both hospitals received several expansions. The Alberta Department of Health later evaluated them and discovered both needed substantial structural upgrades. The decision was made to rebuild the municipal hospital and redesign St. Michael's as a long-term facility.
Despite proposals of several locations for the new hospital, ultimately the hospital was built on the same lot as the municipal hospital allowing the latter to still operate during construction.
The Lethbridge Regional Hospital opened 24 June 1988 at the cost of $118 million. The hospital was renamed the Chinook Regional Hospital in 2006.
Some of the services provided include the following:
- Acute geriatrics
- Intensive care
- Mental health
- Cancer treatment and radiation therapy
- Level III trauma centre
The facility has over 225 acute care beds, 45 acute geriatrics beds and more than 15 bassinets.
The hospital is equipped with a helipad for transporting patients to Calgary. Its elevation is 2,993 ft (912 m) and its main user is the Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society (STARS) air ambulance service.
- Chinook Regional Hospital Foundation
- Doerksen, Lisa (2006-12-27). "City's hospital history has a storied past". SunTimes. Lethbridge Herald. pp. 1–2.
- "College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta Districts Fonds Part 2". Nursing History: CARNA Museum & Archives. College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta. Retrieved 2006-12-27.
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 21 July 2016 to 0901Z 15 September 2016