|District||Nkhata Bay District|
|Elevation||1,584 ft (482 m)|
Chintheche is a settlement in the Nkhata Bay District of the Northern Region of Malawi. It is on the shore of Lake Malawi, and is approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) south of Nkhata Bay. The town is close to the main road between Nkhata Bay and Nkhotakota.
In the 1970s, the government of Hastings Banda planned to develop Chintheche, with a new harbour and a paper-processing plant. To accommodate the new development, residents of Chintheche were displaced further inland. The scheme would have created employment for thousands of people, but for the most part did not come to fruition; however, the displaced residents were not allowed to return to their lakeshore homes.
Arts and culture
Chintheche is where the Lake of Stars Music Festival was held from 2004–2007.
Attractions and amenities
Parks and recreation
The settlement is also identified as a beach town, as it is located on the beaches of Lake Malawi, including Chintheche Beach. The beaches are similar to those found in the Caribbean, with white sand and tropical plants.[david 1]
Chintheche is on the paved M5 Salima – Mzuzu road. It is served by minibuses from Nkhata Bay, Nkhotakota and Mzuzu. Most roads in the Chintheche area are dirt tracks. There is one police station.
- Davids Been Here, Malawi: Africa County Travel Guide 2014." Davids Been Here (2014).
- Malawi. Davids Been Here. 2014. pp. 8–15. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Murphy, Alan; Armstrong, Kate; Firestone, Matthew D.; Fitzpatrick, Mary (2007). Lonely Planet Southern Africa: Join the Safari. Lonely Planet. p. g.191. ISBN 1-74059-745-1. Retrieved 4 August 2008.
- "Northern Region " Cities and towns " Chintheche". Go2Africa. Retrieved 4 August 2008.
- Taylor & Francis Group (2003). Africa South of the Sahara 2004. Routledge. p. g.661. ISBN 1-85743-183-9. Retrieved 4 August 2008.
- Drewett, Michael; Cloonan, Martin (2006). Popular Music Censorship in Africa. Ashgate Publishing. p. g.119. ISBN 0-7546-5291-2. Retrieved 5 August 2008.
- Murphy, Alan; Armstrong, Kate; Firestone, Matthew D.; Fitzpatrick, Mary (2007). Lonely Planet Southern Africa: Join the Safari. Lonely Planet. p. g.192. ISBN 1-74059-745-1. Retrieved 4 August 2008.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Chintheche.|