This biographical article is written like a résumé. (May 2020)
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Occupation||Author, Founder of Joie de Vivre Hospitality and Fest300, Airbnb Head of Global Hospitality & Strategy, Everfest Chief Strategy Officer|
Chip Conley (born October 31, 1960, in Orange, California) is an American hotelier, hospitality entrepreneur, author, and speaker.
Early life and education
Conley graduated from the PACE program at Long Beach Polytechnic High School. He received his BA in 1982 and an MBA in 1984 from Stanford University. Holds an honorary doctorate from Saybrook University.
In 1987, Conley founded Joie de Vivre Hospitality, where he held the position of CEO for nearly 24 years, creating and managing around 50 boutique hotels. In 2010, he sold his company to Geolo Capital. The last hotel concept he created for the company was The Epiphany in Palo Alto. Conley remains a private owner in many hotel properties and no longer has an operating role in the company.
Conley spoke at the annual TED conference in 2010 on creating a business model driven by our need for meaning as outlined by Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs and as presented in his book Peak: How Great Companies Get their Mojo from Maslow. Conley's other books include The Rebel Rules: Daring to Be Yourself in Business; Marketing that Matters: 10 Practices to Profit Your Business and Change the World; Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success in Business + in Life; Wisdom@Work: The Making of a Modern Elder.
In 2013, Conley became Head of Global Hospitality and Strategy for Airbnb. and founded Fest300. At Airbnb, he was asked by the three co-founders to help evolve the company into a hospitality company with more than one million hosts in 191 countries. Conley worked closely with CEO Brian Chesky as a mentor and helped to build a bridge to the travel, hotel, and real estate/development/landlord industries. He also conceived and led the annual Airbnb Open. In 2017, he transitioned to the role of Strategic Advisor for Hospitality and Leadership.
In 2016, Fest300 was acquired by Everfest, with Conley joining the Everfest leadership team as Chief Strategy Officer on a part-time basis. In 2018, he founded the Modern Elder Academy (MEA) in Baja California Sur, a wisdom school dedicated to helping people navigate midlife. Modern Elder Academy focuses on Long Life Learning, and is a mission-driven organization that provides scholarships to 50% of students. Graduates receive a certificate in Mindset Management.
Conley founded San Francisco's annual Celebrity Pool Toss fundraiser, which has raised millions for inner city families in San Francisco's Tenderloin District, where Conley's first hotel, the Phoenix, is located. He also created the annual Hotel Hero Awards that recognize the work of line-level hospitality staff. He served on the Glide Memorial Board for nearly a decade, and is now on the boards of the Burning Man Project and the Esalen Institute.
- Northern California Real Estate Entrepreneur of the Year
- Bay Area's Most Innovative CEO
- ISHC Pioneer Award
- GLIDE Cecil Williams Legacy Award
- The Rebel Rules: Daring to be Yourself in Business; Simon & Schuster, 2001
- Marketing that Matters: 10 Practices to Profit Your Business and Change the World; co-authored with Eric Friedenwald-Fishman, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2006
- Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo From Maslow; Jossey-Bass, 2007
- Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success in Business + Life; Simon & Schuster, 2012
- Wisdom@Work: The Making of a Modern Elder; Currency, 2018
- "Stanford Magazine - Article". alumni.stanford.edu.
- "Travel To The World's Best Festivals At Fest300". www.prnewswire.com.
- "Airbnb Enlists Former Hotel Exec Chip Conley As Its First Head Of Global Hospitality".
- Calnan, Chris (2016-09-20). "Austin online festival hub buys San Francisco-based competitor". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Hyatt Heir Checks Back Into Hotel Industry", The Wall Street Journal, June 7, 2010
- "Chip Conley: The Power of "Noble Experiments"". Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- "Chip Conley: Measuring what makes life worthwhile". TEDTalks. June 21, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2015.
- Conley, Chip (21 September 2007). Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow: Conley, Chip, Hsieh, Tony: 9780787988616: Amazon.com: Books. ISBN 978-0787988616.
- Conley, Chip (3 January 2001). The Rebel Rules: Daring to be Yourself in Business: Conley, Chip, Branson, Richard: 9780684865164: Amazon.com: Books. ISBN 0684865165.
- Conley, Chip; Friedenwald-Fishman, Eric (2006). Marketing That Matters: 10 Practices to Profit Your Business and Change the World (SVN): Conley, Chip, Friedenwald-Fishman, Eric: 9781576753835: Amazon.com: Books. ISBN 1576753832.
- Conley, Chip (12 February 2013). Emotional Equations: Simple Steps for Creating Happiness + Success in Business + Life: Conley, Chip, Hsieh, Tony: 9781451607260: Amazon.com: Books. ISBN 978-1451607260.
- Geron, Tomio. "Airbnb Hires Joie de Vivre's Chip Conley As Head Of Hospitality". Forbes.
- Carr, Austin (March 17, 2014). "Inside Airbnb's Grand Hotel Plans". Fast Company.
- "Meet Airbnb's hospitality guru". Fortune.
- Porges, Seth. "This Is The Future Of Airbnb: A Candid Conversation With The Company's Head Of Hospitality". Forbes.
- "Airbnb's Chip Conley to Leave Global Head of Hospitality and Strategy Role". Skift. January 13, 2017.
- "19th Annual TNDC Celebrity Pool Toss Breaks Fundraising Record". Fog City Journal. October 13, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-15. Retrieved 2016-01-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Celebrating Chip Conley". August 18, 2015.
- "Board of Directors". Burning Man.
- "Board of Trustees | Esalen". Esalen Institute - Big Sur, California.
- Net, Hospitality. "Chip Conley Receives ISHC Pioneer Award". Hospitality Net.