La Perla de Oriente
|Established as city||June 29, 1821|
|• Mayor||Rolando Arturo Aquino Guerra|
|• Municipality||368 km2 (142 sq mi)|
|Elevation||423.86 m (1,390.62 ft)|
|• Density||300/km2 (780/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central Standard Time)|
Chiquimula is a city in Guatemala. It is the capital of the department of Chiquimula and the municipal seat for the surrounding municipality of the same name. It is located some 174 km from Guatemala City and within Guatemala known as "La perla del oriente" (the pearl of the east).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2021)
In 1851 during the Battle of La Arada Guatemalan military won over El Salvador and Honduras military forces, which is why Chiquimula was named "Ciudad Procer" Hero City.
Chiquimula is the most populous city of eastern Guatemala. The official population of the city was 37,602, according to the 2002 census. As of 2018[update] the population had increased to 111,505. 
In the news
In January 2021, a caravan of between 7,000- 9,000 migrants from Honduras, who had departed from San Pedro Sula was heading towards the United States and broke through police lines at Vado Hondo, a village near Chiquimula.
- Citypopulation.de Population of departments and municipalities in Guatemala
- Citypopulation.de Population of the major cities in Guatemala
- "State of Guatemala". Central America; Describing Each of the States of Guatemala, Honduras, Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. p. 88.
- Welle (www.dw.com) (2021-01-17). "Guatemala cracks down on US-bound migrant caravan | DW | 17.01.2021". Deutsche Welle. Retrieved 2021-01-19.
- Guatemala 1995/1996 - RSSSF