|Chiromantis xerampelina Peters, 1854
Chirixalus Boulenger, 1893
Chiromantis (commonly known as the foam-nest frog or foam-nest tree frog) is a genus of frogs in the family Rhacophoridae. It contains species from the Sub-Saharan African tropics as well as from South and East Asia (northeastern India, Bangladesh, China, Mainland Southeast Asia, and Borneo). The Asian species were formerly assigned to Chirixalus, but this taxon was shown to be paraphyletic with respect to African Chiromantis. Consequently, Chirixalus were included in Chiromantis. Monophyly of Chiromantis also required erecting a new genus Feihyla for "Chirixalus palpebralis".
The current delineation of Chiromantis is based on molecular phylogenetics, and there is no morphological character that defines genus. They are moderately large frogs with a snout-vent length of 35–80 mm (1.4–3.1 in). They lay their eggs in foam nests.
There are currently 18 species placed in this genus:
- Chiromantis baladika Riyanto and Kurniati, 2014
- Chiromantis cherrapunjiae (Roonwal and Kripalani, 1966)
- Chiromantis doriae (Boulenger, 1893)
- Chiromantis dudhwaensis (Ray, 1992)
- Chiromantis inexpectatus Matsui, Shimada, and Sudin, 2014
- Chiromantis kelleri Boettger, 1893
- Chiromantis marginis Chan, Grismer, Anuar, Quah, Grismer, Wood, Muin, and Ahmad, 2011
- Chiromantis nauli Riyanto and Kurniati, 2014
- Chiromantis nongkhorensis (Cochran, 1927)
- Chiromantis petersii Boulenger, 1882
- Chiromantis punctatus (Wilkinson, Win, Thin, Lwin, Shein, and Tun, 2003)
- Chiromantis rufescens (Günther, 1869)
- Chiromantis samkosensis Grismer, Neang, Chav, and Holden, 2007
- Chiromantis senapatiensis (Mathew and Sen, 2009)
- Chiromantis shyamrupus (Chanda and Ghosh, 1989)
- Chiromantis simus (Annandale, 1915)
- Chiromantis trilaksonoi Riyanto and Kurniati, 2014
- Chiromantis xerampelina Peters, 1854
- Frost, Darrel R. (2015). "Chiromantis Peters, 1854". Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. American Museum of Natural History. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- Li, Jiatang; Dingqi Rao; Robert W. Murphy; Yaping Zhang (2011). "The systematic status of rhacophorid frogs" (PDF). Asian Herpetological Research. 2: 1–11. doi:10.3724/SP.J.1245.2011.00001.
Data related to Chiromantis at Wikispecies
- Chiromantis at CalPhotos