|• Body||Gram panchayat|
|• Total||3.5 km2 (1.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||403 m (1,322 ft)|
|• Density||7,706.86/km2 (19,960.7/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KA|
|Sex ratio||1:1 ♂/♀|
Chitapur Taluk has borders only with other Taluks of Gulbarga district. It borders Gulbarga taluk to the north-west, Chincholi Taluk district to the north, Sedam taluk to the east, Yadgir Taluk to the south-east, Shahpur Taluk to the south and Jevargi Taluk to the west.
Kagna river flows in this taluk.
As of 2001 India census, Chitapur had a population of 26,974. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Chitapur has an average literacy rate of 46%, lower than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 54% and female literacy of 38%. 16% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Good Shepherd lps chittapur
- Govt. P U College Chittapur
- Shri Revana Siddappa Appa Degree College Chittapur
- Nagavi Education Society's P U College Of Arts And Science Chittapur
- Nagavi Education Society's High School chittapur
- Nagavi Education Society's Higher Primary School Chittapur
- Shishuvihar higherprimery school chitapur
- Bethany High school Chittapur.
- Royal Oxford English medium chitapur
- Government High school and Jr. college chitapur
- G.M.P.S high school chitapur
- Girls high school chitapur
- Annemma Gobbur High school chitapur
- Kelagery Primary School chitapur
- Francis school (English Medium)
- Devanand English and Kannada primary school
- Pramod girls school
- JNANA GANGA HIGHER PRIMEY SCHOOL CHITTAPUR
- Smt. SEEMA GHAWARIYS HIGH SCHOOL CHITTAPUR
- adarsha vidyalaya (R M S A) English medium school chittapur
- Al-Hikmat Urdu medium primary school
- SARASATI JNANA MANDIRA ENGLISH MEDIUM PRIMARY SCHOOL STATION AREA CHITTAPUR
- Excellent primary School Chittapur.
Places to See
- Hazrat chita sha wali and Hazrat peer quadri dargah a 12th-century Sufi saint tombs located at baherpeth Chittapur.
- Chitapur Nagavi village in Chitapur Taluk was the location of a ghatika which is an ancient education centre for higher learning.
- Sannati village in Chitapur Taluk along the banks of the river Bhima where rock edicts of the period of the King Ashoka and a possible early Buddhist settlement has been excavated.
- Kanaganahalli (3-km from Sannati); also on the banks of the river Bhima is the place where an ancient Buddhist Mahastupa site has been excavated.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Chitapur
- The area of major towns in Karnataka has been mentioned in the webpage Population of Corporation/CMC/TMC/TP Archived April 10, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. belonging to the Municipal Administration Department of the Government of Karnataka
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Description of a ghatika in detail is provided in the webpage authored by Jyotsna Kamat: History of Education, 1996-2007 Kamat's Potpourri
- "Rock Edicts of Asoka from Sannati, Chitapur Taluk, Gulbarga district (Karnataka)" in the Indian Museum Bulletin, Vol. XXII, (Calcutta, 1989), PP. 7-15"
- Excavation at Kanaganahalli has been described in Archaeological sites in Gulbarga Department of Kannada and Culture, Government of Karnataka