||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Chitra Singh in 2012
|Birth name||Chitra Shome |
|Also known as||Chitra Dutta|
|Genres||Ghazal, Classical, Devotional, Folk|
Chitra Singh (born Shome) is a well known Indian ghazal singer. She with her husband Jagjit pulled the ghazal genre out of the drawing room of the elite and brought it to the masses. Respectfully known as the "king and queen of the Ghazal world," the husband and wife duo created some of the most successful Indian music of the 1970s and '80s.
Chitra Singh formed a ghazal singing duo with her husband Jagjit Singh. They married in 1969, and it was her second marriage. She hasn't sung since 1991 when the couple's 21 year old son (Vivek) died in a car accident. Chitra Singh's daughter from her first marriage (Monica Chowdhry) committed suicide in 2009.
- "Flying solo with Chitra Singh".
- Sahara, Rashtriya. "Rashtriya Sahara, Volume 5, Issues 1-6". Google Books. Sahara India Mass Communication. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Chitra Singh daughter found hanging; was depressed,says family".
- "Jagjit & Chitra Singh".
- "Jagjit called me Mummy, I called him Papa - Chitra Singh".
- "Triple tragedy for Jagjit Singh's wife Chitra".