Book Release on Chitrabhanu, JAINA 2017 at Edison NJ
July 26, 1922
|Other names||monk as Chandraprabha Sagar|
|Education||Degree in Psychology|
|Alma mater||college at Bangalore|
|Occupation||Jain Spiritual leader, Jain philosopher, author|
|Organization||Jain Meditation International Center in Manhattan, New York City|
|Known for||First Jain Spiritual Leader travelled to US|
|Gujarati composition "Maitri Bhavanu Pavitra Jharanu", The Jain Path to Freedom|
He was born on July 26, 1922 in a small town Takhatgarh in Pali district of Rajasthan, India. He studied psychology at Banglore. He found Acharya Sagaranand as his Guru. He became a Jain monk on February 6, 1942 at the age of 20 at Palitana and was named Muni Chandraprabha Sagar for 29 years.
In 1970 he was invited to attend The Second Spiritual Summit Conference to be held in April in Geneva, Switzerland. Jain monks are traditionally not permitted to travel overseas. He gave up monkhood in 1970 to attend the Summit, and became an ordinary shravaka. He also married Pramoda in 1971. He has two sons, Rajeev Chitrabhanu and Darshan Chitrabhanu.
After spending some time in Africa and Europe, he came to the USA in 1971 at the invitation of Harvard Divinity School. In 1973, he founded the Jain Meditation International Center in Manhattan, New York City. He claimed to attained enlightenment in 1981 by the ocean at San Diego. In 1975 he met Jain Muni Sushil Kumarji to USA, the first practicing Jain monk on his visit to USA.
Establishment of JAINA
With his guidance, a federation of all Jain associations termed JAINA (Federation of Jain Associations in North America), was founded which became the umbrella organization with more than 100,000 members. For his unprecedented journey to bring the Jain tradition of ahimsa to the Western Hemisphere, Chitrabhanu received the Peace Abbey Courage of Conscience Award.
- The Jain Path to Freedom
- The Dynamics of Jain Meditation
- Meditations on the Seven Energy Centers
- The Philosophy of Soul and Matter
- Ten Days Journey into the Self
- The Miracle is You and Reflections
- Michael Charles Tobias, A Jain Leader Addresses the World https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltobias/2012/09/18/a-jain-leader-addresses-the-world/
- American Yoga: The Paths and Practices of America's Greatest Yoga Masters, Carrie Schneider, Sterling Publishing Company, Oct 9, 2003, p. 39
- Chitrabhanu: Man of the Millennium, Dilip Shah, June 21, 2017
- "Gurudev Shree Chitrabhanuji – Life and Works" (PDF). www.jainlibrary.org. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- Iconoclastic Jain Leader Is Likened to Pope John, New York Times, GEORGE DUGAN, December 18, 1973,
- Gurudev Shree Chitrabhanu: On Achieving Omega Consciousness, SUSAN K. BROWN, The Harvard, Crimson, Monday, April 30, 1979 http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1979/4/30/gurudev-shree-chitrabhanu-on-achieving-omega/
- American Yoga: The Paths and Practices of America's Greatest Yoga Masters, Carrie Schneider,Sterling Publishing Company, 2003, p.39
- Jones, Constance; Ryan, James D. (2006). Encyclopedia of Hinduism. Infobase Publishing. p. 112. ISBN 978-0-8160-7564-5.