Chitralekha (1964 film)
|Directed by||Kidar Sharma|
|Produced by||A.K. Nadiadwala|
|Screenplay by||Kidar Sharma|
Rajinder Kumar Sharma
|Based on||Chitralekha |
by Bhagwati Charan Verma
Sahir Ludhianvi (lyrics)
|Edited by||Prabhakar Gokhale|
Chitralekha is a 1964 historical-philosophical Hindi film directed by Kidar Sharma and starring Ashok Kumar, Meena Kumari, and Pradeep Kumar. It was based on the 1934 Hindi novel of the same name by Bhagwati Charan Verma about Bijgupta serving under the Maurya Empire and the king Chandragupta Maurya (340 BCE – 298 BCE) and his love for the courtesan Chitralekha. The film's music and lyrics were by Roshan and Sahir Ludhianvi, respectively. The film was noted for songs such as "Sansaar Se Bhaage Phirte Ho" and "Man Re Tu Kaahe."
It was a remake of Chitralekha (1941), also directed by Kidar Sharma, which was the second-highest grossing Indian film of 1941. Unlike the previous version, the 1964 film did not do well at the box office; critics have suggested poor screenwriting and incorrect casting as reasons.
- Meena Kumari as Chitralekha
- Ashok Kumar as Yogi Kumargiri
- Pradeep Kumar as Aryaputra Samant Bijgupt
- Mehmood as Brahmachari Shwetant
- Minoo Mumtaz as Maid
- Zeb Rehman as Samrat Chandragupta
- Achala Sachdev as Gayatri Devi
- Bela Bose as Devi Mahamaya
- Shobhna Samarth as Yashodhara
|1||"Ae Ri Jane Na Doongi"||Lata Mangeshkar|
|2||"Chha Gaya Badal Neel Gagan Par"||Mohammed Rafi, Asha Bhosle|
|3||"Kahe Tarsaye Jiyara"||Asha Bhosle, Usha Mangeshkar|
|4||"Man Re Tu Kahe Na Dheer Dhare"||Mohammed Rafi|
|5||"Sansar Se Bhage Phirte Ho"||Lata Mangeshkar|
|6||"Sakhi Re Mera Man Uljhe Tan Dole"||Lata Mangeshkar|
|7||"Mara Gaya Brahmachari"||Manna Dey|
- Amrapali (1966)
- Gulzar; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 335. ISBN 8179910660.
- "Chitralekha (1964)". The Hindu. 17 June 2011.
- "The melodious music director — Roshan". Daily Times. 18 May 2011. Archived from the original on 28 May 2011.
- "Top Earners 1941". Box Office India.