30 August 1976
Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
|Spouse(s)||Jyoti Singh Randhawa
(m.2001–2014; 1 child)
|Parent(s)||Col. Niranjan Singh|
|Family||Digvijay Singh (brother)|
Chitrangada Singh (born 30 August 1976) is an Indian film actress who works primarily in Bollywood. She has starred in critically applauded films like Yeh Saali Zindagi and Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi besides films like Desi Boyz, Inkaar, and I, Me Aur Main.
Chitrangada Singh was born in Jodhpur, Rajasthan to an Indian Army officer (Col Niranjan Singh). Her brother Digvijay Singh is a golfer. After her schooling in Meerut at Sophia Girls' School, she completed her graduation in Home Science (food and nutrition) from Lady Irwin College, New Delhi. She has received formal training in Kathak.
Debut and sabbatical (2003 to 2010)
Singh began her career as a model before making the transition to the silver screen. After completing her college education she began modeling with brands like ICICI bank and Alukkas Jewellery among others.
A music video of singer Abhijeet Bhattacharya followed. Subsequently, she made her much acclaimed debut with Sudhir Mishra's film Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi in 2003. The role got her wide acclaim: a Washington Post review noted her for giving "her character a deep sense of dignity and decency." After that Chitrangada acted in the 2005 film Kal: Yesterday and Tomorrow. Chitrangada made her debut as a special song girl in Shirish Kunder's Joker. Also she is to lend her voice to a score in the movie.
She took a break from acting from 2005 to 2008. In 2008, she made her comeback with the leading role opposite Sanjay Suri in the director Onir's romantic-comedy, Sorry Bhai!. Its release over the weekend of the Mumbai terror attacks proved disastrous at the box office.
Success and stardom (2011–present)
In 2012, she then appeared in a special song along with Akshay Kumar in his movie Joker.
Chitrangada Singh is a brand ambassador for Airtel, Parachute, Puma, Borges Olive Oil, Garnier, Aliva Crackers, Taj Mahal Tea and Joyalukkas Jewellers. She also endorses Tata Group's Tanishq and Titan Eye Plus.
Chitrangada Singh was married to golfer Jyoti Randhawa. Chitrangada and her husband separated in 2013 and then formally got divorced in April 2014. The couple has a son named Zorawar; his custody has been granted to Chitrangada.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2003||Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi||Hindi||Geeta Rao||Nominated—Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut
Nominated—Apsara Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
|2005||Kal: Yesterday and Tomorrow||Hindi||Bhavana Dayal|
|2011||Yeh Saali Zindagi||Hindi||Priti|
|2011||Desi Boyz||Hindi||Tanya Sharma|
|2012||Joker||Hindi||Herself||Special appearance in the song "Kafirana"|
|2013||Inkaar||Hindi||Maya Luthra||Nominated—Screen Award for Best Actress|
|2013||I, Me Aur Main||Hindi||Anushka Lal|
|2013||Kirchiyaan||Hindi||Prostitute||short film by Sudhir Mishra|
|2014||Anjaan||Tamil||Herself||Special appearance in the song "Sirippu En"|
|2015||Gabbar is Back||Hindi||Herself||Special appearance in song "Aao Raja"|
- Won: Bollywood Movie Award - Best Female Debut (2006)
- Nominated: Screen Award for Most Promising Newcomer – Female (2006)
- Nominated: Zee Cine Award for Most Promising Debut – Female (2005)
- Nominated: Apsara Award for Best Actress (2005)
- Won: Young Women Achiever Award by FICCI (2009)
- "Chitrangda Singh".
- "Personal Agenda: Chitrangada Singh". Hindustan Times. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Chitrangada Singh Mini Biography". Perfectpeople.net. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Lady Irwin was strict: Chitrangada Singh". The Hindustan Times. 3 July 2009. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "The next Smita Patil". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph (Calcutta). 14 Apr 2005. Retrieved 30 Jan 2012.
- The Comeback Girl Indian Express, 11 November 2008.
- 'A Thousand Dreams': Impassioned in India by John Pancake, Washington Post. 21 April 2005.
- "Chitrangda turns playback singer". The Times Of India. 23 July 2012.
- 'Chitrangada is just taking a break' Ashok Chatterjee, TNN, The Times of India, 8 November 2005.
- "Chitrangada not in golfing news". The Times of India. 6 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "Chitrangada is back!". Rediff. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- Sorry Bhai is new beginning for me, says Chitrangada Singh IANS, Sify.com, Wednesday, 29 October 2008.
- Me and slapstick humor? Not sure: Chitrangda Singh Indian Express, 19 December 2008.
- "Chitrangada: I wasn't taken seriously as an actor". Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Sudhir Mishra, Chitrangada Singh team up again in Kirchiyaan". First Post. 31 January 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Chitrangada again with Akshay" Retrieved 26 March 2015
- "tanishk". Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "Chitrangada bags another brand" .Retrieved 26 March 2015
- "Chitrangada Singh, Jyoti Randhawa granted divorce". Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Celebrity splits of 2013". Retrieved 2013-12-27.
- "Chitrangada Singh divorces Jyoti Randhawa, fears losing custody of son Zoravar". Retrieved 2013-12-27.
- Chitrangada Singh gets FICCI achievement award IANS, Sify.com, 21 April 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chitrangada Singh.|