Chittagong Dry Dock Limited
|Industry||Shipbuilding (future) |
Chittagong Dry Dock Limited (CDDL), formerly an enterprise of Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation, is a state-owned military shipbuilding and repair facility based in Chattogram Port, Bangladesh. CDDL is one of the largest shipbuilding facility in East and South Asian region, and one of the three shipyards owned and operated by the Bangladesh Navy.
Chittagong Dry Dock Limited was formerly owned by Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation, built to function complementary to Chittagong Port Authority. It is located in Patenga, Chittagong, Bangladesh. It was built to repair and service ships that dock in Chittagong port. On 23 December 2015 the dock was transferred to Bangladesh Navy. In 2014 the dock started the construction of its first cargo ship. In 2015 the Dry dock built a six entrance footbridge for Sylhet City.
In 2019, Chittagong Dry Dock Limited was awarded the contract to build six heavy duty offshore patrol vessels(OPV)s for the Bangladesh Navy. These ships will be replaced Island-class OPVs.
2,000 tonnes OPV
Under the second phase of the FG2030 naval modernization plan, the Bangladesh Navy signed a contract with CDDL for six 2,000-tonnes offshore patrol vessel. The OPV's are intended to guard Bangladesh's Exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
High Performance Frigate Program
Chittagong Dry Dock has been awarded the contract to undertake the frigate program of the Bangladesh Navy. In the bid to transform from a buyer's navy to builder's navy, the Bangladesh Navy realized its ambitious plan to introduce 6 indigenously built guided missile frigates by 2030. The frigates will incorporate stealth technology, helicopter hangar and state-of-the-art hardware. In 2018, Commodore Mohammad Nazmul Karim said, two frigates will be commissioned in 2022, two by 2025 and two by 2030. However as of March 2021, with the current progress, shipbuilding is likely to be delayed for several more years. Shipbuilding may be further delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jha, Saurav. "The Bay of Bengal Naval Arms Race". The Diplomat. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Chittagong Drydock Limited". cddl.gov.bd. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Ctg Dry Dock to build cargo ships first time". Prothom Alo. Archived from the original on 3 April 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Lone footbridge remains unused in Sylhet city". The Daily Star. 22 May 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- Mathew, Arun (23 January 2020). "Chittagong Dry Dock Ltd to Build Six Offshore Patrol Vessels for Bangladesh Navy". DefPost. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "CDDL: Bangladesh Navy orders six offshore patrol vessels". Naval Today. 23 January 2020. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "CDDL: Bangladesh Navy orders six offshore patrol vessels". News Break.
- "Bangladesh in the market for six new Offshore Patrol Vessels". Asia Pacific Defense Journal. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "CDDL: Bangladesh Navy orders six offshore patrol vessels". Naval Today. 23 January 2020. Retrieved 29 January 2021.
- "From buyer to builder". theindependent. Retrieved 29 January 2021.