Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
চট্টগ্রাম ভেটেরিনারি ও এনিম্যাল সাইন্সেস বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Chittagong Government Veterinary College|
7 August 2006 (University)
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Goutam Buddha Das|
|Dean||Mohammad Alamgir Hossain (FVM)|
Gautam Buddha Das (FST)
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) (Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম ভেটেরিনারি ও এনিম্যাল সাইন্সেস বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a public university in Bangladesh. It is the only specialised veterinary university in Bangladesh. It is located at Khulshi, Chittagong. The chancellor of the university is president Abdul Hamid. Generally, the public universities in Bangladesh offer degree on department. Like every other agricultural university in Bangladesh, CVASU offers degree on faculty.
The fifth Annual Scientific Conference of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University was held in 2007. Recently, on 19 September 2017, the 3rd National DVM Intern Research Conference, 2017 was held.
In 1995–1996, the Bangladesh government established two veterinary colleges in Sylhet and Chittagong. Later, two more veterinary colleges were established at Dinajpur and Barisal. The initial name of the Veterinary College in Chittagong was Chittagong Government Veterinary College, abbreviated as CGVC. The institute started its journey in January 1997 as a college under the University of Chittagong with 50 students. The University of Chittagong transformed the college into a separate faculty with the permission of the University Grants Commission for the large syllabus of the college. At that time there was no agricultural university or veterinary university in the whole of Chittagong. As a result, there was a strong demand to transform CGVC into a separate university. Various journalists and academics in Chittagong agree with this demand. This demand took the form of a movement. The movement was led by Yusuf Chowdhury, a social worker from Chittagong and chairman of the daily Purbakon. For his contribution, a building in CVASU was named as Yusuf Chowdhury building. As a result of this movement, in 2005 the Prime Minister's Office ordered the transformation of CGVC into a university. Following this, the then Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia inaugurated it on February 2, 2006 as Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University. It was later launched on August 7, 2006 through an ordinance. At first the university only started its journey with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. At present, the University conducts its academic activities with a total of three faculties, including two more faculties, namely Food Science and Technology and Fisheries.
All the administrative functions of the university are conducted on the main campus. The main campus has two separate halls for students. One is MA Hannan Hall and the other is Bangamata Fazilatunnesa hall. There are also administrative buildings, Yusuf Chowdhury building, Shaheed Minar and some other buildings. There are various facilities including Anatomy Museum, Fisheries Museum.
It is the first anatomy museum in the country. The museum was built in 2016 under the University Grants Commission's HECAP project. The museum is overseen by the University's Department of Anatomy and Histology. Horses, cows, deer, camels, ducks, goats, sheep, pigeons, crocodiles, snakes, lizards, pigs, ostriches and monkeys are preserved in this museum. There are 30 stuffed animals, 20 animal models, 500 specimens of formaldehyde, 2000 different types of bones, 3000 different slides and stills of 30 scientists. Some dried soft limbs have also been preserved in the museum.
Cox's Bazar outreach campus
The campus is actually a research-based campus of the university which is mainly focused on sea-related projects. Construction of hatchery and filtration unit is going on the campus. This campus is the first outreach campus for an autonomous public university. Fisheries department of CVASU also began crab farming in the campus.
Hathazari research and farm based campus
It is a research and farm-based campus of the university which is located at Hathazari Upazila in Chittagong. Two new institutes, two new faculty will be opened at the campus. 180 crore taka will be spent to construct the campus.
Pet hospital, research and training institute
It is the country's first-ever pet hospital. Here, Teaching and Training Pet Hospital and Research Centre provides hands-on training to interns and postgraduate veterinary doctors.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.): five years including a one-year internship (off-campus work-based learning). The D.V.M. course consists of 25% animal production, 10% social science courses and the remaining is for veterinary disciplines.
- B.Sc. Honours in Food Science & Technology (FST)
- B.Sc. Honours in Fisheries (FF)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Anatomy & Histology
- Department of Animal Science & Nutrition
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Science
- Department of Dairy & Poultry Science
- Department of Genetics & Animal Breeding
- Department of Medicine & Surgery
- Department of Microbiology & Veterinary Public Health
- Department of Pathology & Parasitology
- Department of Physiology, Biochemistry & Pharmacology
Faculty of Food Science & Technology
- Department of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Technology
- Department of Physical & Mathematical Science
- Department of Applied Food science & Nutrition
- Department of Food Processing & Engineering
Faculty of Fisheries
- Department of Aquaculture
- Department of Fisheries Resources Management
- Department of Fishing & Post Harvest Technology
- Department of Marine Bio-Resources Science
- Department of Fish Biology & Biotechnology
Undergraduate admission is conducted through a cluster system admission test where a single exam is taken for seven Universities which provide education in the field of Agricultural Sciences these are Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Sylhet Agricultural University, Khulna Agricultural University and Patuakhali Science and Technology University. The subject choice and campus choice depends on the student's merit position and personal preference.
Poultry Research and Training Center (PRTC)
The Poultry Research and Training Centre (PRTC) has been established on 11 March 2008 with the financial support from Agricultural Sector Programme Support (ASPS) II of Danida at the Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) campus, within the legal framework of the university Act 2006 (Act 30 of 2006). PRTC is an autonomous institution, in accordance with the provision of the university Act 16 July 2006. In recent years, Muhammad Kabirul Islam Khan, from Department of Genetics and Animal Breeding, was invented a new breed crossed between Faomi and indigenous chicken which will grow rapidly as Faomi but the taste of the meat will as the indigenous chicken.
One Health Institute
Institute of Coastal Biodiversity, Marine Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation
This institution located at Cox's Bazar outreach campus of the university.
The undergraduate study programme, with a compulsory one-year internship in different placements which was inaugurated by this university, is a major breakthrough in the veterinary education policy in Bangladesh. Since its establishment students are regularly doing their internship at all Government research center and hospital as well as Madras veterinary college under TANUVAS, India which was first aboard-undergraduate internship program of public universities in Bangladesh, recently the university has started to send their student for doing an internship at Tufts University, USA and several universities of Malaysia, Thailand, Korea, Japan, India. The university is thought to be one of the fastest-growing universities in the country, particularly for its scientific research efforts. University authorities have always focused on research, which in turn organizes International Internships seminar, International Scientific Conference every year where reputed scientists from several countries come and share their knowledge with the students. It is the only public university of Bangladesh which has three research institutes in three separate zones. A significant number of its alumni are studying in abroad and published research findings in different prestigious journals and achieved International Award. They are going to lead a better position in every government and private sector of Veterinary, Fisheries and Food industry in Bangladesh.
Research, training and extension (R&D)
As part of its aim to build it as a centre of excellence in teaching and research, CVASU has been working and looking forward to developing and focusing research activities and resources to support and keeping its faculty members at the forefront of new technologies and development in the field of Veterinary and fisheries education quality enhancement, Livestock and Fisheries development and applied policy support, feed and feed technological innovation, application of advanced molecular techniques in disease diagnosis, Industry-Institute partnership and multidisciplinary research.
Primarily CVASU aims to project their research activities upon the multidisciplinary areas of Animal health, Production and Veterinary extension services. The faculty members are, therefore, grouped into 3 basic research group including Small Animal and poultry health and production, Large Animal health and production and a Socioeconomic group to assist the other two groups in executing, analysing and extension of their research findings. However, at this stage of development, a number of the national and international funded research project have completed funded by Higher Education Link (DFID), UK, British Council, PLDP, BARC, and various research projects are ongoing funded by Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) by UGC, BARC, RFLDC through DANIDA, BAS-USDA, FAO.
Students from all across Bangladesh and abroad study at CVASU. The campus has separate modern hostels for men and women. All of the students have enough residential accommodation facilities. The campus provides indoor and outdoor recreation facilities including sports ground. Students have enough interest and competence in sports, debate, photography, writing, cultural and various recreational activities.
There are two halls for the students. One is for female and the other is for male:
- Bangamata Fazilatunnesa Hall
- Bir Muktizoddha MA Hannan Hall
- Salma Sultana, awarded Borlaug award for field research and application, also awarded Joy Bangla Award
- World Veterinary Association, 5th Annual Scientific Conference of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Theme: Role of Life-Long Learning in Professional Development Archived 29 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "CVASU at a Glance". Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "দেশের প্রথম শরীরবৃত্তির জাদুঘর সিভাসুতে" [The country's first physiology museum in Sivasu]. 26 December 2020. Retrieved 19 November 2020.[permanent dead link]
- "central procurement technical unit". Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "CVASU to Build New Outreach Campus at Cox's Bazar". Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Economic prospects boost crab farming in Cox's Bazar". The Independent. Dhaka. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "CVASU research campus opened at Hathazari". The Daily Observer. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Halls after name of Bangabandhu, Babu , Mohiuddin Chy at CVASU". The New Nation. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Bangladesh's first-ever pet animal hospital opens in Dhaka". Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Agri-varsities to begin 'cluster system' admission test". Daily Sun.
- "Unified admission test in 7 agricultural universities". New Age.
- "UGC to hold uniform admission test for 7 universities". Dhaka Tribune.
- "Academic campus will be built in Hathazari instead of Cox's bazar". Retrieved 30 April 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University.|
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Ministry of Education
- University Grants Commission Bangladesh
- Ministry of Food
- Ministry of Science and Technology