Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• City||95.97 km2 (37.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||333.75 m (1,094.98 ft)|
|• Density||1,600/km2 (4,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||AP–03, AP-06|
Chittoor is a city and district headquarters in Chittoor district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is also the mandal and divisional headquarters of Chittoor mandal and Chittoor revenue division, respectively. The city has a population of 153,766 and that of the agglomeration is 175,640.
The district abounds in several pre-historic sites. The surface finds discovered are assigned to special stages in the progress of civilisation. The Palaeolithic tools are discovered at Tirupathi, Sitarampeta, Ellampalle, Mekalavandlapalle, Piler, etc. The Mesolithic tools are discovered at Chinthaparthi, Moratavandlapalle, Aruvandlapalle, Tirupathi etc. Remains of Neolithic and ancient tools are unearthed near Bangarupalem only. The existence of megolithic culture was revealed by the discovery of burials at Irulabanda, Bapanatham, Voyalpadu, Sodum, Velkuru, Nyakaneri, Basinikonda, etc.
The political history of the district commences with the Mauryas in the 4th century BC. The district of Chittoor was not a homogeneous administrative unit up to 1911. Its component parts were under the control of various principal dynasties at different periods of times, namely, the Mauryas, Satavahanas, Pallavas, Chalukyas of Badami, Rashtrakutas, Cholas, Pandyas, Royal of Vijayanagara, Qutub Shahis, Mughals, Asof Jahis, Marathas, Hyder Ali and Tipu of Mysore, and the British, besides minor dynasties such as the Renande Cholas, Banas, Vaidumbas, Nolambas, Western Gangas, Yadavas, Telugu Cholas, Matlis, Uttama Chola, Andiyaman, Siyaganga rulers, Nawabs of Kadapa and Arcot. The Zamindars of Karvetinagar, Srikalahasthi, Punganur and Kangundhi also ruled over this district.
It is located between the northern latitudes of 37" and 14°8" and between the eastern longitudes 78°33" and 79°55". It is bounded on the east by Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh and South by Vellore, Thiruvallur Districts of Tamil Nadu, on the west by Kolar and Chikkaballapur Districts of Karnataka, on the North Kadapa District of Andhra Pradesh and on the south by Dharmapuri District of Tamil Nadu. In respect of area it takes the eighth place with an area of 15,150 Square Kilometers which accounts for 5.51 percent of the total area of the state. The general elevation of the mountainous part of the district is 2500 feet above sea level. The Chennai & Bangalore cities are located in 150 km. and 165 km. respectively to Chittoor Town.
|Climate data for Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh|
|Average high °C (°F)||28.7
|Average low °C (°F)||17.7
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||6
Telugu is the official and widely spoken language. Chittoor also has a sizeable population of Tamil, Kannada and Marathi speaking people. Chittoor has a population of 353,766 and has a sex ratio of 1002 females per 1000 males compared to the state average of 992 females, as of 2011 census. The literacy rate of the City is 90.60%. Chittoor was upgraded as municipal corporation in 2011.
Chittoor Municipal Corporation is the civic administrative body of the city. It was constituted as a Grade–III municipality in the year 1917. It was upgraded to Grade–II in 1950, Grade–I in 1965, Special Grade in 1980 and Selection Grade in 2000. On 7 July 2012, it was upgraded to municipal corporation by merging 14 gram panchayats into the corporation and is spread over an area of 69.75 km2 (26.93 sq mi).
Chittoor is the district capital and houses many district level government institutions.
Chittoor is predominantly an agro-market place and a major market for mango, grain, sugarcane, and peanut. Other industries include oilseed, poultry and milk. Tomato farming contributing over 20% of the State's production. Ground nut is the most major commercial crop in the district followed by sugarcane and the major horticulture crop of mangoes. 2nd largest milk producing district with its expansive dairy industries. In the field of Dairy, the district stood first in the state. The district is famous also for textile industries like that of Silk with 13,000 power looms providing employment 40,000 workers. Granite industry famous for its black, pink and grey granites.
The 11th century historical Chandragiri Fort is the notable landmark near the city. Ardhagiri Anjaneyaswamy temple is the notable landmark near the city. Swayambu Varasidhi Vinayakaswamy temple is notable Hindu temple near the city.
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools of the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English and Telugu.
- SITAMS: Sreenivasa Institute of Technology and Management Studies
- SVCET: Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering Technology.
- P. V. K. N. Government College is the government run college in the city.
The city is well connected to major cities through national and state highways. The National Highways through Chittoor City are, National Highway 140 (India) connecting Chittoor with Puthalapattu, National Highway 69 (India)connecting Chittoor with Chennai and Vellore on South and Bangalore on West. The city has total road length of 382.30 km.
The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation operates bus services from Chittoor bus station. Bus services are operated to Tirupathi, Nellore and also to all other major towns and cities in the district. It also operates to Chennai Vellore and Bangalore.
Chittoor railway station is a National railway station in Chittoor town of Andhra Pradesh. It lies on Gudur-Katpadi Branch line section and is administered under Guntakal railway division of South Central Railway zone. Nearest Major Railway Station is Vellore Katpadi Junction Railway station Tamil Nadu. Just 30 km From Chittoor city.
Chittoor is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. Chittoor is part of Chittoor (Lok Sabha constituency). Naramalli SivaPrasad of TeluguDesam Party is the sitting Member of Parliament for Chittoor (Lok Sabha constituency) and D.K.Sathyaprabha of Telugu Desam Party is the sitting Member of Legislative Assembly for Chittoor (Assembly constituency).
Assembly Election Results:
|Year||A. C. No.||Assembly Constituency Name||Type of A.C.||Winner Candidates Name||Gender||Party||Votes||Runner UP||Gender||Party||Votes|
|2014||291||Chittoor||GEN||D. A. Sathya Prabha||F||TDP||73430||Jangalapalli Srinivasulu (Jmc)||M||YSRC||66631|
|2009||291||Chittoor||GEN||C.K.Jayachandra Reddy||M||INC||46094||Arani Srinivasulu J.M.C||M||PRAP||44384|
|2004||140||Chittoor||GEN||A.S. Manohar||M||TDP||58788||C.K. Jayachandra Reddy @ C.K.Babu||M||IND||54900|
|1994||140||Chittoor||GEN||C.K. Jayachandra Reddy||M||INC||46709||A.S. Manohar||M||TDP||44623|
|1989||140||Chittoor||GEN||C.K. Jayachandra Reddy@C.K Babu||M||IND||44972||C. Hari Prasad||M||TDP||26986|
|1983||140||Chittoor||GEN||Hansi Laxmi||F||IND||49127||Venkateswara Chowdery N. P||M||INC||32693|
|1978||140||Chittoor||GEN||N.P.Venkateswara Choudary||M||JNP||29941||C.V.L. Narayana||M||INC(I)||21139|
|1972||140||Chittoor||GEN||D. Anianeyulu Naidu||M||INC||32607||K. M. Erriah||M||DMK||14324|
|1967||137||Chittoor||GEN||D. A. Naidu||M||INC||32559||P. V. Naidu||M||SWA||20979|
|1962||144||Chittoor||GEN||C. D. Naidu||M||SWA||35256||P. Chinnama Reddy||M||INC||13301|
|1955||124||Chittoor||GEN||Chinnama Reddy||M||INC||17397||C.V. Srinivasa Modaliar||M||IND||104|
Parliament Election Results:
|PC No.||PC Name||Category||Winner||Gender||Party||Vote||Runner Up||Gender||Party||Vote|
|2009||42||Chittoor||(SC)||Sivaprasad,Dr. Naramalli||M||TDP||434376||Thippeswamy M||M||INC||423717|
|2004||21||Chittoor||GEN||D.K. Audikesavulu||M||TDP||454128||Dr. Ravuri Venkata Swamy||M||INC||391990|
|1999||21||Chittoor||GEN||Noothana Kalva Ramakrishna Reddy||M||TDP||419208||R. Gopinath||M||INC||400570|
|1998||21||Chittoor||GEN||Nuthanakalva Ramakrishna Reddy||M||TDP||349831||Gnanendra Reddy.M||M||INC||269750|
|1996||21||Chittoor||GEN||N.Ramakrishna Reddy||M||TDP||405052||Audikesavulu D.K||M||INC||343702|
|1991||21||Chittoor||GEN||M. Gnanendra Reddy||M||INC||373631||Gurram V. Sreenatha Reddy||M||TDP||263649|
|1984||21||Chittoor||GEN||N.P.Jhansi Lakshmi||F||TDP||332543||Amaranadha Reddy Nallari||M||INC||271332|
|1980||21||Chittoor||GEN||P. Rajagopal Naidu||M||INC(I)||232249||N. P. Chengalraya Nayudu||M||JNP||172402|
|1977||21||Chittoor||GEN||P. Rajagopal Naidu||M||INC||229252||N. P. Changalraya Naidu||M||BLD||218805|
|1971||21||Chittoor||GEN||P. Narasimha Reddy||M||INC||245052||K. P. Chengalraya Naidu||M||NCO||116313|
|1967||21||Chittoor||GEN||N.P.C. Naidu||M||INC||186594||N.G. Ranga||M||SWA||158931|
|1962||22||Chittoor||GEN||Madabhusi Ananthasayanam Ayyangar||M||INC||130026||C.V.L. Narayan||M||SWA||106062|
|1957||17||Chittoor||GEN||M. Ananthasayanam Ayyangar||M||INC||154817||C.V.L. Narayan||M||IND||71357|
- Cattamanchi Ramalinga Reddy – educationist and political thinker, essayist and economist, poet and literary critic.
- Talari Manohar – Member of Parliament, Member of Legislative Assembly.
- Chittoor Subramaniam Pillai – Carnatic musician
- Chittor V. Nagaiah – actor
- Sri K. Sabha -Prominent Writer and Poet.
- Prathap C. Reddy – founder and chairman of the Apollo group of hospitals
- Madhurantakam Rajaram – writer, Sahitya Akademi awardee
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu – Chief Minister, Visionary, Chief of TDP
- Late D K Adhikeshavulu – Ex MP, Ex Chairman TTD, Founder Vydehi Hospitals, Liquor Baron
- Nallari Kiran Kumar Reddy – Ex Chief Minister
- Dr. Kesava Reddy – Novelist
- Mohan Babu-Actor
- Velayudham Jaya Kumar - Practicing Advocte, Secretary[Nature Lovers Association]
- Vinod Kumar Neelakantan - philanthropist
- "Introduction". chittoormunicipalcorporation. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Chittoor District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 497, 518–19. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Andhra Pradesh (India): Districts, Cities, Towns and Outgrowth Wards – Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". citypopulation.de.
- "::chittoor::". ap.gov.in.
- Topography/ Boundaries – CHITTOOR DISTRICT'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE | ANDHRA PRADESH | INDIA - చిత్తూరు జిల్లా అధికారిక వెబ్సైట్ - ChittoorDistrictWebsite Archived 22 July 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "CLIMATE: CHITTOOR". Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "WELCOME TO CENSUS OF INDIA : Census India Library". www.censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 25 April 2016.
- Sex Ratio of Andhra Pradesh is 992 per 1000 as per Census 2011 | Census 2011 Indian Population Archived 23 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.. Census2011.co.in (27 April 2011). Retrieved on 2012-01-07.
- Chittor Municipality Archived 10 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine.. Chittoor.ap.gov.in. Retrieved on 7 January 2012.
- "Chittoor Municipal Corporation at a glance". Chittoor Municipal Corporation. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Commerce/ Industries – CHITTOOR DISTRICT'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE | ANDHRA PRADESH | INDIA - చిత్తూరు జిల్లా అధికారిక వెబ్సైట్ - ChittoorDistrictWebsite Archived 2 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "School Education Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education – Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "DETAILS OF ROADS IN EACH ULB OF ANDHRA PRADESH". Archived from the original on 1 August 2016.
- "Bus Stations in Districts". Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Dr. C. R. Reddy". 1973. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007.
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Chittoor.|