Chittoor Rani Padmini
|Chittor Rani Padmini|
|Directed by||Ch. Narayana Murthy|
|Produced by||RM. Ramanthan|
|Written by||C. V. Sridhar|
K. A. Thangavelu
M. N. Nambiar
|Music by||G. Ramanathan|
|Cinematography||Bomman D. Irani & V. Kumaara Thevan|
|Edited by||M. A. Perumal|
|Distributed by||Uma Pictures|
Chittor Rani Padmini (lit. Padmini, queen of Chittor) is a 1963 Tamil-language historical fiction film written by C. V. Sridhar and directed by Ch. Narayana Murthy. The film starred Sivaji Ganesan and Vyjayanthimala in the lead with K. A. Thangavelu, M. N. Nambiar, T. S. Balaiah, T. P. Muthulakshmi and Kumari Kamala forming an ensemble cast. It was produced by R. M. Ramanthan of Uma Pictures. The film's score was composed by G. Ramanathan and it was filmed by R. Sampath.
- Sivaji Ganesan as Rana Ratan Singh
- Vyjayanthimala as Rani Padmini
- K. A. Thangavelu
- M. N. Nambiar as Alauddin Khalji
- T. S. Balaiah as
- D. Balasubramaniam
- Kaka Radhakrishnan
- Pulimmootai Ramasamy
- T. P. Muthulakshmi
- Producer: RM. Ramanthan
- Production Company: Uma Pictures
- Director: Ch. Narayana Murthy
- Music: G. Ramanathan
- Lyrics: Udumalai Narayana Kavi, Kannadasan, Thanjai N. Ramaiah Dass Surabi, Ku. Ma. Balasubramaniam & A. Maruthakasi
- Story: C. V. Sridhar
- Screenplay: C. V. Sridhar
- Dialogues: Ilangovan
- Art Direction: A. K. Sekhar
- Editing: M. A. Perumal
- Choreography: V. S. Muthusamy Pillai & B. Sohanlal
- Cinematography: Bomman D. Irani & V. Kumaara Thevan
- Stunt: Stunt Somu
- Dance: Ragini & Helen
The music was composed by G. Ramanathan while the lyrics were penned by Udumalai Narayana Kavi, Surabhi, Ku. Ma. Balasubramaniam, Thanjai N. Ramaiah Dass, Kannadasan and A. Maruthakasi. Playback singers are Seerkazhi Govindarajan, P. Suseela, Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi & S. Janaki.
|1||Parthukondirundhale Podhum||Seerkazhi Govindarajan||Udumalai Narayana Kavi||11:20|
|2||Devi Vithayar Bavani||P. Suseela||Surabhi||04:22|
|3||Oho Nila Raani||Seerkazhi Govindarajan||Ku. Ma. Balasubramaniam||05:00|
|4||Hum Tekaa Mele Shokkaa Aadum||S. Janaki||Thanjai Ramaiah Dass||05:00|
|5||Chittu Sirippadhu Pole||Seerkazhi Govindarajan & P. Suseela||Kannadasan||06:50|
|6||Vaanathil Meen Ondru Kandaan||Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi||Surabhi||03:47|
|7||Aadal Paadal Kaanum Podhe||S. Janaki||Ku. Ma. Balasubramaniam||05:35|
|8||Vaanathil Soozhndhadhu Megam||P. Susheela||A. Maruthakasi|
Release and reception
Chittoor Rani Padmini was released on 9 February 1963. The magazine Kumudam faulted it for "despicable distortion" while another magazine, Kalki lamented that "an icon of chastity had been turned into a dancing queen". The film was not commercially successful, but film historian Randor Guy praised it for the "star cast, dances of Vyjayanthimala, pleasing music of G. Ramanathan and artistic sets of A.K. Sekhar."
- "Chittoor Rani Padmini Release". nadigarthilagam. Archived from the original on 15 September 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "9 Path Breaking Films Of Shahid Kapoor That Changed The Face Of Cinema". Times Internet. 10 May 2017.
- G. Neelamegam. Thiraikalanjiyam — Part 2 (in Tamil). Manivasagar Publishers, Chennai 108 (Ph:044 25361039). First edition November 2016. p. 123.
- Film News Anandan (2004). Sadhanaigal Padaitha Thamizh Thiraipada Varalaru [Tamil film history and its achievements] (in Tamil). Chennai: Sivagami Publishers. Archived from the original on 2018.
- Vamanan (3 December 2017). "A 'padmavati' tale that stirred fewer debates". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 17 January 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Guy, Randor (13 June 2015). "Chitoor Rani Padmini (1963)". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 7 March 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2015.